ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Just joking with ya... Glad to help if I can...

Thanks for sharing that photo. I know when I look to build/design these for myself I’m clearly standing on the shoulders of giants. It’s nearly impossible to see from pictures alone as you mentioned and this thread is invaluable. If edited properly this topic would be an outstanding SW book one day..

It’s funny the harder I look the more complicated it becomes. Especially since a real Mauser is smaller than the commonly used denix. So scaling one to the other gets complicated. Seems that everyone sees this thing just a bit different depending on the sourced picture lol.

Regardless thank you kpax for being of the OG’s in all of this and thanks again for sharing [emoji482]

Hey, quick question. I've always been unhappy with my ANH build. Specifically the gun itself, maybe it's cause it's a denix, maybe its the sleeve bull barrel design. Are you of the opinion it threaded on like a silencer? Han's muzzle has a tiny hole instead of what you'd expect

Also, is the Merr Sonn with the mounts filed off on the left side from the other spy/war movie we've sourced these bapty rentals? I understand the lower frame was swapped out to start fresh with a right sided mount that wouldn't hit Han's leg :)

Thanks for sharing that photo. I know when I look to build/design these for myself I’m clearly standing on the shoulders of giants. It’s nearly impossible to see from pictures alone as you mentioned and this thread is invaluable. If edited properly this topic would be an outstanding SW book one day..

It’s funny the harder I look the more complicated it becomes. Especially since a real Mauser is smaller than the commonly used denix. So scaling one to the other gets complicated. Seems that everyone sees this thing just a bit different depending on the sourced picture lol.

Regardless thank you kpax for being of the OG’s in all of this and thanks again for sharing [emoji482]

- - - Updated - - -

The Denix is an issue for sure but the scaling is not really so far off the the actual parts need to be sized differently. The Aluminum rail may need to be a touch longer if you are really nit-picky. but all the other parts fit including the machined grill.

The MGC is better. Real Mausers we found had a decent amount of variety depending on the model and manufacturer/factory as did the scopes. We took the differences into account and arrived at a happy medium that seemed to work for Real, MGC and Denix base guns.

There is an interest thread going where an accurate Mauser base can be made from steel or Al, and work like a MGC/Denix for function. Would not be cheap but would be much better base to work from. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=272875

Just keep in mind that there are wide variations and details seen on many different samples of the same parts so don't get too hung up on minute details as they may not be on another sample you get in hand...and have fun. !

Hey, quick question. I've always been unhappy with my ANH build. Specifically the gun itself, maybe it's cause it's a denix, maybe its the sleeve bull barrel design. Are you of the opinion it threaded on like a silencer? Han's muzzle has a tiny hole instead of what you'd expect

Also, is the Merr Sonn with the mounts filed off on the left side from the other spy/war movie we've sourced these bapty rentals? I understand the lower frame was swapped out to start fresh with a right sided mount that wouldn't hit Han's leg :)

The original Bull Barrel no doubt was threaded to the Mauser receiver just as a real gun would be re-barreled. This is difficult to do for the average prop builder as you need more equipment etc. which is why we designed the sleeve barrel. The sleeve Bull Barrel design was done for ease of build and if the Mauser/Denix receiver is prepared correctly will fit and look as if it was one-piece. The Denix receiver needs to be filed down a bit to allow the sleeve to slide back to the correct seated position.

My build below is a Sleeve barrel on a MGC. Same problem to remove metal to allow the sleeve to slide back far enough.

The tiny hole seen in the Han Solo pic below is likely from a muzzle restriction of some kind to regulate pressure for positive function with blanks.

I tried to replicate the threaded Naked Runner barrel with lock and also added the restriction muzzle shown on the Han image. Mine screws into the Naked Runner barrel and holds the booster in place.

I am posting this because I know the Photobucket link is dead.

If anyone knows a better way to permanently host the images maybe we can get some new common area to collect all the best info?

View attachment dl44 blaster for rpf post details copy.jpg

MGC’s and a real Mauser’s must be identical to one another as your DEC bull barrel fits perfectly onto it. No modifications needed to either the MGC or the bull barrel itself. Just slides right on and lines right up.

The denix as you mentioned does take some work and a little elbow grease. The small issue for me personally is it just doesn’t line up with a denix but that’s a Forrest for the trees kind of thing. Otherwise it can be made to work pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've studied the heck out of this blaster (and thread!) and STILL keep finding new things. Never noticed the flat on the inside of the mount! This is fun.

This is the part I’m talking about. It’s a minor thing really but from that original pic posted from SITTING TARGET it seems quite big??...

Sorry Chubs, I immediately jumped on how much the differential was front-to-back on Todd's (which is admittedly chunky) to the Sitting Target mount:

IMG_20171025_194203465.jpg

The original Bull Barrel no doubt was threaded to the Mauser receiver just as a real gun would be re-barreled. This is difficult to do for the average prop builder as you need more equipment etc. which is why we designed the sleeve barrel. The sleeve Bull Barrel design was done for ease of build and if the Mauser/Denix receiver is prepared correctly will fit and look as if it was one-piece. The Denix receiver needs to be filed down a bit to allow the sleeve to slide back to the correct seated position.

My build below is a Sleeve barrel on a MGC. Same problem to remove metal to allow the sleeve to slide back far enough.

The tiny hole seen in the Han Solo pic below is likely from a muzzle restriction of some kind to regulate pressure for positive function with blanks.

I tried to replicate the threaded Naked Runner barrel with lock and also added the restriction muzzle shown on the Han image. Mine screws into the Naked Runner barrel and holds the booster in place.

I am posting this because I know the Photobucket link is dead.

If anyone knows a better way to permanently host the images maybe we can get some new common area to collect all the best info?

View attachment 768853

thanks! Now that I think about it, I was more displeased with my ability to cleanly make the step on my denix :) that looks really good, man!

The restriction muzzle info is really cool. There are things I don't understand, and regulating pressure for blanks is one of them :haha

MGC’s and a real Mauser’s must be identical to one another as your DEC bull barrel fits perfectly onto it. No modifications needed to either the MGC or the bull barrel itself. Just slides right on and lines right up.

The denix as you mentioned does take some work and a little elbow grease. The small issue for me personally is it just doesn’t line up with a denix but that’s a Forrest for the trees kind of thing. Otherwise it can be made to work pretty well.

no they're not at all....they're CLOSE... but the sleeve bull barrel leaves an unsightly gap on a real mauser. All the dimensions of the MGC are larger than the real mausers. And as you can see below the denix is giant in comparison.

L20140129-155505.JPG

L20140129-160014.JPG

L20140129-160027.JPG

L20140129-160038.JPG

L20140129-160100.JPG

L20140129-160116.JPG

L20140129-160132.JPG

L20140129-160137.JPG

L20140129-160240.JPG

L20140129-160319.JPG

As for earlier discussion on the dovetail from sitting target.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%2012.08.46%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%2012.08.49%20AM.png

I’ve never seen a real C96 Mauser but I have had multiple MGC’s and denix mausers over years myself. I’ve taken them both apart as well. Or much as one can anyhow [emoji482]

So was the DEC bull barrel created then for the MGC Mauser? It fits it perfectly while it’s to small for a denix and as you mentioned it fits awkwardly on a real Mauser?

Always have been curious as to what Mauser it was designed for? It must have been an mgc as it lines up on the top but not so on a denix. ?

Scott, as usual, fantastic images and comparison.!

The DEC parts were all sized as close to the original HERO prop as possible.
The DEC Sleeve barrel can and I believe has been adapted to all 3 Mauser bodies. It was designed to fit all 3 bodies. It does take a bit of filing and fitting for all the recievers to fit exactly like the HERO. The Denix needs a bit more material removed but it will look good once in place. The receiver needs to be filed or ground down a bit to allow the sleeve to slide back. There was a tutorial on how to do this.

Basicly you can use tape to set a line to file and remove the material in front of the tape until the sleeve fit as desired.

The parts are not interchangeable but all 3 can make a great build with the DEC parts. Just take a look at the builds that have been posted. ! Really great stuff.

I think what Chubs might mean by the fit on the sleeve barrel are where they line up with the Hex part of the upper receiver. They aren't 100% the same size as the Hex on the Denix.

I ran into this fitting the kits onto a Denix and onto a casting of a Mauser (but just like you said Pax and Scott, they're all a bit different)

I think what Chubs might mean by the fit on the sleeve barrel are where they line up with the Hex part of the upper receiver. They aren't 100% the same size as the Hex on the Denix.

I ran into this fitting the kits onto a Denix and onto a casting of a Mauser (but just like you said Pax and Scott, they're all a bit different)

Yes, you need to modify as needed but you can make it work well. The chamfers/Hex parts on the Denix are a bit sloppy and can be filed to match the barrel flat chamfers once in place.

Here is a quick compare and material you need to remove for best fit on the Denix. (bottom) but ALL need to be filed to allow the sleeve to fit. I used Scott's great images to show the difference but there are photo distortions and scaling issues so they are not perfectly lined up but you can see the idea.

Material can also be removed from the inside of the sleeve if needed as well !

blaster barrel fitting copy.jpg

Last edited:
no they're not at all....they're CLOSE... but the sleeve bull barrel leaves an unsightly gap on a real mauser. All the dimensions of the MGC are larger than the real mausers. And as you can see below the denix is giant in comparison.

Which is why we need that Mauser c96 replica made!

anyone interested get over to the interest thread that Scott started !

Ya I don’t know what each part is called on the Mauser so pictures are always best. This is part I’m curious about.

This is a denix..
b672bfe2bfd7921071e3a9e4497b9ec0.jpg

This is a MGC..
e36c611c05445e11d4e2274bddb74965.jpg

As you can see it lines up on one but not the other.

It looks like this bull barrel was designed back in the day when MGC’s were more readily available. Nowadays they are pretty much impossible to find and I have to imagine 99.9% of these conversions are done on a denix anyhow. I’ve always been curious as to what happened here and why it’s never been updated for the denix?

Last edited:
Ya I don’t know what each part is called on the Mauser so pictures are always best. This is part I’m curious about.

This is a denix..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/b672bfe2bfd7921071e3a9e4497b9ec0.jpg

This is a MGC..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/e36c611c05445e11d4e2274bddb74965.jpg

As you can see it lines up on one but not the other.

It looks like this bull barrel was designed back in the day when MGC’s were more readily available. Nowadays they are pretty much impossible to find and I have to imagine 99.9% of these conversions are done on a denix anyhow. I’ve always been curious as to what happened here and why it’s never been updated for the denix?

The DEC kit is made for a Denix but the bevels are off a bit because the Denix receiver is a little taller.

You need to file down or grind away the area material in RED to allow the sleeve barrel to slid down the that point. Only the small area between the GREEN lines on the Mauser bevels should show.

You can use tape on the area behind the area to grind to make a straight edge.

Once ground back, you can flatten the top a bit and reshape the bevels a bit to match and line up with the Bull Barrel bevels. The material is there. I did it on my Denix too.

The Bull Barrel was not specifically shaped for the Denix because of the sloppy tolerances. We also figured that the Bull Barrel bevels could be reshaped to match the Denix bevels.

On the original prop, when the re-barreled the c96 for a tapered rifle barrel as used in Naked Runner, the edges needed to be "broken" or smoothed so it would not have sharp edges. So they simply beveled the edges sticking up.

If you fit the barrel to the Denix first, then you can file the bull barrel bevels to match the Denix bevels. (PURPLE)

At least this gives you some options.

blaster receiver cut file copy.jpg

Attachments

• blaster receiver cut file copy.jpg
    blaster receiver cut file copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
Thanks again for sharing this info. You really should write a book on this! Ur diagrams are very specific and clear. Only wish I got to this thread before all the original pictures disappeared. That’s a shame.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back