ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

It depends on how accuratly placed you want the bull barrel. Many people simply slide it back as far as it will go and secure it in place which is fine for most builds.
If you want it to be truly accurate to the hero, you must remove some material from the Denix receiver so that it will slide back further as shown in the images.

Oh, I'm not talking about a Denix here. I'm talking about a modified Master Replicas Elite Edition DL-44. What I'm looking for is for somebody to lathe down the existing off-center barrel so I can mount a bull barrel on it.

20180709_203905.jpg

The small bit poking out the end is what's centered; the rest is offset and round-bottomed.

Sorry, misread.

So on the MR, the bull barrel and receiver are all one piece?

Maybe you can still do the same procedure. Simply grind off the existing bull barrel to a rough original Mauser barrel shape and use a slip over bull barrel. ?

You really only need to leave a stud off the receiver and you can mount the bull barrel with epoxy.

You could also consider cutting off the receiver straight and drilling a hole for a threaded rod and then put the bull barrel over the threaded rod. This would actually be more like how the original prop was built with a real barrel.

DEC made a thread on barrel in the first runs for this application.

Basically you insert a threaded rod into the sleeve bull barrel so that it remains straight. Then you epoxy the other end of the threaded rod into the receiver hole and make sure it curers straight

Something to consider if you can’t get someone to turn a barrel off for you?

Yeah; the upper receiver and barrel are all entirely one piece; solid and all. And I'd just be too nervous to start grinding off huge chunks of metal by hand; I'd just prefer it to be done right with minimal risk.

And I recall seeing some threads where people had a mounted barrel that attaches via an internal threaded rod in the past; I think Scott did one a while back.

A general idea of what I'd be looking for someone to do; possibly even with a custom bull barrel so that it really meshes well. Pictures courtesy of Lichtbringer:

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Aaand look what I dug out of the closet. :lol

Could have used this thing a while back!! (Forgot I even had it until recently.)

Too bad it's useless to me and would be difficult to make a blaster out of; may try selling it in the near future; if its even worth anything. :wacko

20180711_210909.jpg 20180711_210915.jpg

Could have used this thing a while back!! (Forgot I even had it until recently.)

Too bad it's useless to me and would be difficult to make a blaster out of; may try selling it in the near future; if its even worth anything. :wacko

View attachment 829950 View attachment 829951

That´s the plastic MGC model, right? Not as sought after as the metal specimens of course, but a nice item anyway. Would probably take it, if you really won´t use it and made up your mind about a price. PM me, if you want.

Hi Guys

I thought I'd Share some pictures of my current project DL-44 ESB version rather than start another thread.

I've been meaning to get on and build one of these for a while to add to the collection. Like most people here I started with a battered old Denix that I brought off someone who had actually made a DL-44 from it but using cheap parts.
The Denix was stripped and lightly blasted to clean off the many layers of paint that were on it. I corrected some of the problems that the Denix has but didn't get to wrapped up in it as life's to short to be correcting everything on a replica that's got too many inaccuracies to count in the first place. I was just really going for the look and feel. A lot of the edges were sharpened up as well as the finger grips on the hammer and bolt toggle. the safety was removed and replaced with something that looks right and pivots properly.

Now down to the nitty gritty. I,m not a fan of gluing plastic parts to my replica blasters and where possible try to source or make metal alternatives even if slightly inaccurate.
I'd rather have something that looks and feels like a functional real world part than something that is just a bit glued plastic spoiling the illusion. (yes I know that's how the originals were made :D).

So I've been looking at the pictures and come up with something that looks close to the greeblies, is all metal and looks like it's doing a job.
For the Heat sinks I acquired two of the ROTJ machined aluminium ones off The Bay, I know technically they not right for the ESB one but when fitted they look close and are metal.

The other greeblies are made from 1mm thick steel plate and Hex cap head bolts. Once blued and weathered they look really good and look like they are doing something useful.

20180712_075521.jpg20180708_072304.jpg

The main pistol is blued and the aluminium heat sinks, Flash hider and scope bracket are Blacked using Birchwood Casey's Aluminium Black solution. Everything is weathered back and aged using wire wool.

20180712_075503.jpg20180712_075550.jpg

The scope and mount are one of the really nice ones that someone on here makes (cant think of their name at the moment).

I got over the the floppy scope syndrome that seems to be prevalent on the ESB mount by adding two guide pins. I bolted the mount to the pistol with a normal nut in place of the hand wheel,having noted how much area the hand wheel covered. Drilled through the mount, spacer and pistol in two places within the area cover by the hand wheel. I then inserted two tight fitting pins into the spacer that lock into the pistol and mount either side.
The whole thing screws up now with no forward/back movement.

Now I have to start on the scope.

I will post pictures of the finished blaster in the next couple of weeks.

Chris

View attachment 829950 View attachment 829951

I have one - filled the magazine area with epoxy putty, sealed up a lot of the seam lines and I'm making a 3d printed/resin ROTJ hero/Stembridge blaster with it. rather fragile compared to a denix but I'm trying!

Did your gunbelt come with the border lines or did you add them?

I have one and it doesn't have those.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

The ANH holster and belt came as is... l just weathered it more worn a bit. I collected the greebies from various sellers, I modified them as well to be more accurate apart from the green cylinder which was the original 70s soda canisters l got in a pack of 10...
3784B8E3-9A20-46C4-B6D9-3EE628842CD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool! A buddy of mine found an old box of Soda King canisters and gave them to me. They have a dip in the middle of the body, but they're still green, and you don't see the dip when it's in the belt.

Has anyone documented their progress of building the ANH grille with the plastic Tomtit parts? I've still got three left to make one, and I wanna get it right!

It looks to me like they used the larger diameter sections of the cylinders for all the parts, but I want to be sure.

EDIT: I knew I had seen some discussion about the grille construction in the past, I did some searching and found it.

Thank you Deadbolt for creating this image!! I hope it's alright to repost it here..

aa7dc81981c95632862ebd26078cdc23.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! A buddy of mine found an old box of Soda King canisters and gave them to me. They have a dip in the middle of the body, but they're still green, and you don't see the dip when it's in the belt.

Has anyone documented their progress of building the ANH grille with the plastic Tomtit parts? I've still got three left to make one, and I wanna get it right!

It looks to me like they used the larger diameter sections of the cylinders for all the parts, but I want to be sure.

EDIT: I knew I had seen some discussion about the grille construction in the past, I did some searching and found it.

Thank you Deadbolt for creating this image!! I hope it's alright to repost it here..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180717/aa7dc81981c95632862ebd26078cdc23.jpg

you're right. I recently did mine - and this was how

1) figure out where you're slicing the tomtit in half. (the top two are almost identical, but the cuts are milimeters apart.) Cut the with a razor saw like T track, maybe even rotating them for an even line, instead of slicing through in one go.

2) I kept my tomtit pieces in the correct orientation on the table, and on numbered post-it notes. at this point I used calipers to measure the magazine well of my denix, and then moved the calipers a hair smaller and used that for my measurement so they will snap into place on the gun. I cut with a dremel cut off wheel, straight into the side. ⧃ ☜ right that way, so the cuts would be parallel to the magazine.

2) once I had all the C shapes I sculpted the curves with a sanding drum. I think I did the same thing, coming in perpendicular so the sides of the cuts would be like on the prop and not angled inwards.

3) I glued them all in place with e6000 and I snapped them all into place separately. That way I could push them to the angle I liked, like the real prop.

I think I glued my middle one on upside down, oh well :lol

Attachments

• 5BD93FED-0346-4794-AF50-CAAD2FD129E0.jpeg
    5BD93FED-0346-4794-AF50-CAAD2FD129E0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • 22F318B0-379D-48EA-969E-C26F9BDE5A39.jpeg
    22F318B0-379D-48EA-969E-C26F9BDE5A39.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • C386106C-B5AD-4E5C-962B-5C5C466CAFB4.jpeg
    C386106C-B5AD-4E5C-962B-5C5C466CAFB4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 004ECEC2-219D-4BE7-8B93-E825AE519B6A.jpeg
    004ECEC2-219D-4BE7-8B93-E825AE519B6A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 176
Nice work! I did mine last night, pretty much used all the techniques you described.

It turned out pretty good! I've also been playing with the finish on my flash hider. Trying to get it a little lighter in shade, more grey. It may be a touch too light as it is now. The body looks good, but the cone is too bright for my taste. I may play with it some more.
14583219156aecc4462a0f3aa5a521e5.jpg
076c1270d9c16a1c3b43b9728f343e57.jpg
85683610e2e5158c83027cd2c53a70cc.jpg
5e11577e4aaab0c1bd43b1431b61afd2.jpg
de7eca68c6ae419431930167428380af.jpg
e0a17de3040f291fef3987cf35aff7f5.jpg
35993d3537b83f39d2a111d25c1bdc7c.jpg
b38c3b66e8f3520f9114045c800afcf5.jpg

Did a little tweaking to the finish on the flash hider and the MGC...
2fb4d8ce9786edad0b64f2a5235a218c.jpg
b820408b522c99ba2aa9615f1b646ccf.jpg
b3f4ca4d8a9274e14e11447d945c22c0.jpg
6fe4b6b362d9431b1aafdd8123351e03.jpg
21111cbe62ff4c5548f9086941415082.jpg
d443cfa68886e24c63ccab358207dfb0.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I'm nearly at the end of my replica modelling. I'm about to start making my display case. Does anyone have a good graphic file for the display plate? ie "Star Wars ANH Han Solo's DL-44" that I could use. Would be very much appreciated. Best J

That looks great mate. Really, really nice job. Don't criticise it.
I think we builders, as all artists do, struggle when creating something to bring an end to a project. Its so hard to look at your creation and say thats finished! Because in our eyes and with the passion we have induced we don't want it to be! Maybe if I did this it would be better.
That is a really nice job. Be proud. Whats the next challenge.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back