ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Thanks guys. Next up is to finish the Relby K-23 Bespin Guard blaster, and the Jabba Palace Guard blaster!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

dcarty, hollywood couldn't agree more. My girlfriend said to me the other day (don't mean to turn this post into a psychology rant!) why do you spend so much time collecting parts (takes months) fiddling (her words, what she means is filing, painting ,weathering, then striping back to bare metal and starting again!) with them and researching these projects. You spend months in the shed! What are you going to do with it at the end! you're a bit old for toys. My reply was "you do jigsaw puzzles. You start with your picture and your pieces, at the end upon completion you break it up and throw it back in the box then take it to the charity shop. I don't have a very good picture and very often most of my pieces are blank. Its about the research and collection of often hard to find items and lots of patience. When I look at a finished project its not the item that makes me smile its the journey to that end.
Maybe this post is off kilt! Just sharing a few thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't post after 2 pints of Bee Sting cider!

Exactly. The real pleasure of this hobby is primarily in the journey, not the destination.
And that pleasure is what keeps us coming back for more. Like any addiction, if it makes you feel good, it's very easy to get addicted. :D

-Carson

Recently gave my piece a complete overhaul including some major accuracy updates as it's a Denix. That includes:
Smooth sanded parts
Aluminum black finish
Reshaped trigger, hammer, and rear sight
Scottjua's accurate crossbar stencil
Field Marshal's accurate steel flash hider and bull barrel

DL1.jpgDL3.jpgDL4.jpgDL5.jpgDL2.jpg

Nice job!

One question that I do have is about the wooden Mauser grips that are sold; particularly by DEC. From what I've gathered, the frame of the Denix's handle is both thicker and much wider than an actual Mauser's, and thus a Mauser Grip requires the frame to be shaved down in order to match (picture courtesy of jheilman).

ANH05.jpg

What I'm wondering is if the Wooden grips made by DEC that are intended for the Denix take this into account, as I'm midway through shaving down the grip frame to match a real Mauser's, and while I'd love to get his Denix Grips which would fit without much fuss, I'm wondering if it would be smarter to order the ones meant for a real C96 and sand them down until they fit if they'll line up better proportionally.

Nice job!
What I'm wondering is if the Wooden grips made by DEC that are intended for the Denix take this into account, as I'm midway through shaving down the grip frame to match a real Mauser's, and while I'd love to get his Denix Grips which would fit without much fuss, I'm wondering if it would be smarter to order the ones meant for a real C96 and sand them down until they fit if they'll line up better proportionally.

The Denix DEC grips are designed to fit the original Denix frame not the smaller real-world frame of the genuine Mauser.
His grips are spectacular and you won't be disappointed...

Best,
MARK

Figures. Shame that nobody else other than DEC sells halfway decent Mauser grips. May toy around with buying the "real" c96 grips from him and making them work; really want to get the handle the right size (have already taken a lot of materiel off the grip frame to widen the gap between it and the trigger guard; which is tiny on the Denix). Doubt I could convince Dave to make me custom grips to fit the Denix but that are real Mauser sized.

If I remember correctly, the MGC and real Mauser grips are very close to the same size.

I believe some people have purchased the MGC sized DEC version and simply altered the attachment areas by grinding away material as needed to allow it to fit the
Denix frame.

You would still need to do some sanding on the outside to fully round and shape to fit perfectly. There is a little extra wood material on the grips to allow for variations in frame castings. But they do finish up beautifully

If I remember correctly, the MGC and real Mauser grips are very close to the same size.

No, different size and shape. MGC is slighly smaller than Denix, but not that much as the real grips are to both of the replicas.

A grip with the bulky shape of the real and the big size of the Denix would really be a massive monster.

No, different size and shape. MGC is slighly smaller than Denix, but not that much as the real grips are to both of the replicas.

A grip with the bulky shape of the real and the big size of the Denix would really be a massive monster.

You may be right but the real grips are not that much smaller than the MGC. I recall a similar conversation way back where we had a bunch of comparisons. For the size, I guess it depends on how you define "close". I think Dave had traced the real Mauser grip lines on to an MGC test blank and it was only about 1/16 smaller around the perimeter.

The shape is actually very similar with slight variations from the samples I have seen...although some real c96 grips I have seen have been horribly fit ! ; )

Also, keep in mind that IF you use actual c96 grips on a Denix they will look too small because the overall Denix is bigger...so using something "slightly" larger actually gives you a better overall look and feel IMO. The grips will be more in proportion.

Last edited:
From what I remember, the Denix's size issue mostly is in length; the lower reciever's magwell is a good bit "longer" than an actual Mauser's. The rest of the dimensions aren't too far off. And I've already removed a lot of material from the Denix's frame to get it closer to a real C96; so a smaller grip on mine would be a better fit (especially since I already ground down my Denix grip frame by using the wooden grips from my MR Elite Edition as a sizing reference).

Last edited:
I found that the Denix is not inaccurate in the overall dimensions as much as that many features are a couple mm displaced towards the back.
This does make the magwell too long though. The rails on the upper receiver are indeed too long but that is because it is also too far back and had to be that long for its front to be aligned with the front of the magwell.
I moved the features forward on my Denix but it was a stupid amount of work.

I found that the Denix is not inaccurate in the overall dimensions as much as that many features are a couple mm displaced towards the back.
This does make the magwell too long though. The rails on the upper receiver are indeed too long but that is because it is also too far back and had to be that long for its front to be aligned with the front of the magwell.
I moved the features forward on my Denix but it was a stupid amount of work.

Looks like some super in-depth mods! You have any more followup images of how it ended up, by chance?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back