ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

These are the ones I purchased about two years ago...never used them, since diamond knurled was believed to be accurate then

They´re pretty common here

41MWh0E3bEL.jpg

A = 6 mm
B = 12 mm
C = M 6
D = Ø 24 mm
E = 1 mm

All kits are from US. 1/4" is readily available there.

But the ANH was build here in Europe, where imperial is much more exotic.

The knurled nuts I posted about are too large with regards to their O.D., but there are PLENTY of variations to choose from. I am sure we´ll find an accurate one without much hassle for us european builders. Plus...they´re dirt cheap :cool

Last edited:
All kits are from US. 1/4" is readily available there.

But the ANH was build here in Europe, where imperial is much more exotic.

But don’t forget that the UK was still in a conversion phase to adopt metric units. They started adoption in the 1960s, but full adoption wasn’t required until 1978, five years after joining the EEC, and then there were still arguments over it.

Could be either. I would still go with metric.

Last edited:
...sure now there's a better pic! ; ) ...and now I have to get new nuts...

Did I say that....; )

I remember we went back and fourth with the knurl on these knobs. I think the best blow-up we could get at that time had so much junk in it that it looked diamond or checked so we decided to go with the diamond at the time...but we made the center knob straight knurl to hedge the bets!

Nice find...still new stuff being learned. Great old thread!

But don’t forget that the UK was still in a conversion phase to adopt metric units. They started adoption in the 1960s, but full adoption wasn’t required until 1978, five years after joining the EEC, and then there were still arguments over it.

Could be either. I would still go with metric.
The 1/4-20 is both a US standard (UNC) and British thread standard (BSW) and still standard everywhere for mounting cameras onto tripods.
I think it has been said many times that maybe the thumbscrews could have been for some photography equipment originally.

And BTW, I'm not getting a new gun replica for threading new mount holes. 1/4" is close enough to 6 mm for me.

If this part is not from a German firearm, but sourced in England in 1976 , using vintage scrap parts, it's likely to be 1/4unf , however if it is indeed from Europe, it will definitely be m6 .
Engineering shops didn't really go metric fully until,the mid eighties in the uk .
Having said all that , as the thread is invisible on the prop, does it matter ?

i think i tried them when i first started this project... earlier
The knurls are way to deep... we would really see them in the ref picture from the front.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back