ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Could this be an explanation for the mystery disc?

Someone has probably noticed this before, but I couldn't find any mention, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what people think. If the gun from The Naked Runner is the same one used in ANH, then the mystery disc could be from the scope mount. The scope was on the left side in The Naked Runner, but it is on the right in ANH. The front mounting disc lines up with where the mystery disc would be. In the pictures you can see the mounted disc.

han-solo.jpeghan-solo-1280bjpg-9aabc6_1280w.jpgimageproxy.png
MV5BN2UxOWY3YjctZDMwMi00NTc0LWFiOTgtMWU2ODRiMzJhYTY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEzMDAyNTI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpgrunner.png

Completely different lower. The upper is the han solo, but not the lower... so no, it's not where the mystery disc came from.

the Mystery disc came from removal of some greebie that was glued there. The entire lower looks to have been painted lightly, and the glue/adhesive stripped the bluing off with it when whatever was stuck there came off. I am refurbishing one of my live fires and epoxy/super glue did exactly the same thing when I removed the front grill pieces.

Completely different lower. The upper is the han solo, but not the lower... so no, it's not where the mystery disc came from.

the Mystery disc came from removal of some greebie that was glued there. The entire lower looks to have been painted lightly, and the glue/adhesive stripped the bluing off with it when whatever was stuck there came off. I am refurbishing one of my live fires and epoxy/super glue did exactly the same thing when I removed the front grill pieces.

I'm not sure what you mean by upper and lower. Like you said, lots of things will strip bluing, so if the mount had been glued on...

I'm not sure what you mean by upper and lower. Like you said, lots of things will strip bluing, so if the mount had been glued on...

The upper is the part with the barrel, bolt and ejector. The lower has the grip, trigger, hammer, etc.

Parts of the prop that ended up being the DL-44 were in 4 different movies. The upper was in 3.

Last edited:
The upper is the part with the barrel, bolt and ejector. The lower has the grip, trigger, hammer, etc.

Parts of the prop that ended up being the DL-44 were in 4 different movies, only the upper (with distinctive bull barrel) was used in all four.

OK, gotcha. My previous comment is moot then.

OK, gotcha. My previous comment is moot then.

No that was a good observation that has been discussed at length. It is assumed that the lower used in SW was not the one in The Naked Runner or the film from your still with the case (can't remember the name) because there is no evidence on the left side of the DL-44 of where the scope mount posts would have been attached to the body. So it is assumed at this point that a different lower was used for SW.

Yes, that ridge along the side of mausers is a rail and it separates the flat sided magazine and handle from the "upper" portion.

I've got a plastic version of an MGC and it breaks down the same way.

Funnily enough, the Merr-Sonn (sp?) blaster is a resin casting that might have been in some imperial officer's holsters. It was definitely a prototype for Han's blaster and it included the original lower there are sawed off bumps from the left-sided mount that was welded on. let me see if I can find pics. One of the weld spots is covered up by a Michell pulley disc like on the imperial hats and belts. you can see the left-over weld near the hammer too.

merrsonn44.JPG thanks lonepidgeon :)
After, they swapped the lower, so the leg-side would be smooth in the holster. That's probably how the new Greeblie popped off, being drawn from a holster, leaving the mystery disc on the new lower part of the frame.

Being the only "blank-fire " version, I am sure many parts were blown off upon the initial firing like the antenna sight. Half is missing in the test fire images pre production.
Other parts prob fell off when butter fingers Ford dropped it since he was fraidy scared and always closed his eyes when firing it! ; )

Note the image below. There was something glued to the left side rail at one time almost where the MerrSonn grill parts are.

blaster glue spots.jpg

Maybe if he actually "aimed" sometimes, the Rebels would have won sooner!

In the second image, apparently Ford was hunting some Tatooineian geese!

Take a look at the last image... Right after this frame they cut to a different angle...

I would wager that Ford smashed the blaster into the ramp supports! :lol

ford shooting blaster.jpg

Interesting that they actually did put some thought into historic providence though! Are there pics in Lucas arts archive that we haven't seen that they based this on?

Hi guys, I've read through this thread but can't find any reference to the font on the Hensoldt scope. does anybody know the font? My DEC scope has no writing at all on it. I know that previous runs did. Probably a Copyright issue. Would love to have accurate font!
Best J

Interesting that they actually did put some thought into historic providence though! Are there pics in Lucas arts archive that we haven't seen that they based this on?

If there is they haven’t shared them. There is some good pic’s of this original prop floating around but u have to search a little bit to find them. Lucasfilm doesn’t even own this prop. It’s not in their collection but instead it’s in someone’s lock box in London somewhere. Retirement fund is what I’ve heard it referred to.

I must ask my local firearms officer if its possible to trace the history of a firearm by its serial. I would imagine somebody has tried this before. But you know what they say about assumption! It couldn't be that simple!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back