ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Barrel Discussion

I´m still not convinced - it´s the combination that makes no sense.

I turned my MGC receiver/barrel down on the lathe, so it is centered around the barrels bore (if there would be one) - that´s the only way a lathe works if you don´t chuck a piece with a offset, hard to do with this piece if the barrel and the hole for the bolt at the end are a straight line.

Then i turned the barrel, and drilled/machined it a hole - again completly centered without offset.

Now we have a situation that on the top the chamfer looks not prominent enough, and we would need a flat milled bottom to disassemble it - cause a completly centered "line" puts the barrel to low, on top for the chamfer, and on the bottom for disassembling.

What can we do to get more chamfer? Making it a bigger dia - but that way we would also get more dia at the undersideof the barrel. That means even more to mill flat - the more flat the more easy noticeable. I mean "really noticeable", like a D-ring. AND the barrel would also stick more over the sides, it would be easy noticeable from every view than from the flat side - to get 1mm more chamfer on the top, the barrel has to has 2mm more dia. Instead the 22mm i used a 24mm, come on - 1mm sticking out on each side, 1mm more to mill on the underside?

Or, the second alternative, everything was kept at the 22mm - just mounted offset, cheated with a not centered/aligned bore, there was no need that real bullets can pass the barrel.
That way to lift the barrel up by 1mm would keep the sides of the receiver matching to the barrel, it would delete or at least minimize the amount of milling the bottom flat- AND it would enlarge the chamfer.

Would be a easy job (much more easy than what we do to replicate it) - just saw/mill the old barrel from the receiver at the wanted place, machine a new barrel the way you want it, weld/braze the parts together. Voila.

An interesting problem:

I think to make the blank prop work properly it would have needed to be set as a real barrel. Blanks are sensitive to pressure and may not have operated the auto loading if not done correctly...so

I think we need to get measurements from a real Mauser. The position of the bore is the key.

My drawing showed that a bore height of just a mm or two higher than the MCG would make the difference...I think

RPGnerd has offered to measure his gun. We need to show him what we need. I will try to work up a drawing to help him. He does not have a micrometer so we need to use other means.

Any other ideas?

I have a real Broomhandle Mauser (top), an MGC Mauser and a Micrometer so I'll be happy to help out as best I can.

101_8349.JPG

Last edited:

I think to make the blank prop work properly it would have needed to be set as a real barrel. Blanks are sensitive to pressure and may not have operated the auto loading if not done correctly...so

Not in every case - for some field training we got trainingsammunition/blanks with reduced power, as no slug needed to be pushed. To keep the effect of autoloading running, the reduced power had to be kept in the barrel for building up the needed pressure. Therefor we unscrewed the flashhider and put a blank-firing-adapter on. It has a really reduced outled to keep the pressure moving the bolt backwards instead of loosing the pressure through the barrel.

A 1mm offset would still provide more free flow than needed, probably another reduction would be needed, maybe invisible inside the barrel the bore was smaller, around 2-3mm.

I have a real Broomhandle Mauser (top), an MGC Mauser and a Micrometer so I'll be happy to help out as best I can.

That's great! Your Mauser would be an awesome source for more accurate measurements. Thanks! :thumbsup

If you can manage to figure up any or all of the measurements in this picture, that would be just great!
y4V8suT5.png

-Carson

Last edited:

Sorry do derail, but has anyone else noticed that the Naked Runner scope looks a lot like the Compac (GK) with the front bell still attached?

nrunner8.jpg

compac431.jpg

LOL--It would be another amazing coincidence if it were the same scope!

Here's what I have so far. Measurements off the C96:

C96Muzzelcopy.png

Measurements off the MGC:

MGCMuzzelcopy.png

The MGC is amazingly close in some dimensions and very different in others. The differences could be chalked up to the specific pistol that MGC copied. I've owned two C96 Mausers and the parts were not universally interchangeable between them either.

This hobby is starting to feel like owning a PC. Every couple of years what you have becomes obsolete! :lol If it is flat my Bobadebt ANH blaster (last version) is now really inaccurate (well more than it was already). Was the ANH blaster Master Replicas made have flat or round? Not that they had all the best references, but I was just curious.

Hi Dcarty,

The top number from the top of the receiver to the inside top of the chamber is important. If you can, try not to measure the slot for the extractor but try to get the caliperto sit flat inside the chamber measure from there to the top of the tapered section of the receiver.

Also if you can get a measurement from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the upper receiver but not in the recess as show in my previous post.

Thanks so much for your help!

Also a measurement of the width of the top of the tapered receiver top for comparison if you can.

Thanks

Not in every case - for some field training we got trainingsammunition/blanks with reduced power, as no slug needed to be pushed. To keep the effect of autoloading running, the reduced power had to be kept in the barrel for building up the needed pressure. Therefor we unscrewed the flashhider and put a blank-firing-adapter on. It has a really reduced outled to keep the pressure moving the bolt backwards instead of loosing the pressure through the barrel.

A 1mm offset would still provide more free flow than needed, probably another reduction would be needed, maybe invisible inside the barrel the bore was smaller, around 2-3mm.

True enough. Anything is possible with the way they made this prop.

Did you ever notice that the right side pre production HERO has a small bevel/chamfer below the big taper chamfer right next to the proof mark and looks like the barrel sticks out more than the receiver and on the left side pre production HERO the bull barrel seems to sit a little inboard, meaning the receiver sticks out more than the barrel.

Could mean the barrel is a little off center to the right OR that the receiver is a bit off?

My Denix measurements.

Very close to real!

From my measurements if the bore is just 1.mm higher the round barrel is as possible as the flat.

I think the only way to really tell how the prop was really made is to "see" the bottom of the barrel either from the SW HERO or the Naked Runner.

I am trying to get the film on DVD, will keep you posted.

c96denixmuzzelcopycopy.jpg

Did you ever notice that the right side pre production HERO has a small bevel/chamfer below the big taper chamfer right next to the proof mark and looks like the barrel sticks out more than the receiver and on the left side pre production HERO the bull barrel seems to sit a little inboard, meaning the receiver sticks out more than the barrel.

Could mean the barrel is a little off center to the right OR that the receiver is a bit off?

The first possibilities that come to mind are either the bull barrel's center hole was maybe a tad too large, and in turn accidentally became offset while brazing like Lichtbringer said. Or, the machinist intended to drill the center hole off center and could have easily been off a little horizontally in the prosses. But, that would imply an off center barrel as well.

-Carson

Bad threading could also cause this. a very small misalignment will be "magnified" visually.

Thank you for contributing your measurements! It is very much appreciated! :thumbsup

C96Muzzelcopy.png

Measurements off the MGC:

MGCMuzzelcopy.png

All the refinements we All can do to finally (hopefully) 'perfect' this Blaster, has to be leading to something great. I can feel it! :D

-Carson

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back