ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Some interesting details: Look at the label on the case in the Range Rover photo. And then check the lower right corner of the shot of Harrison.

Detail.JPGGun Case.JPG

Holy shizzle! Those are awesome! Thanks for sharing, kpax!

Well heck. I got mine back out again and ****** the hammer of my MGC forgetting that I replaced the trigger! Anybody know an easy way to get the hammer back down? lol

Last edited:
WOW, I didn't know it was Christmas today.

Does this means that the Hero prop is still alive somewhere in a private collection.
Those pics look way to modern to me :angel.

LOL. That is really nice work! Serious dedication to the hobby!

Not to nit-pick but to show those who didn't get it: Here are a few small tells that you could look for:
- On the flash hider, the length of the scallops (or easier: the distance between scallop and recessed ring)
- Thickness of the lines in the slide rail and marks at the ends, which vary from Mauser to Mauser.
- The tiny screws on the scope being flat-headed and a little bit protruding or round and recessed.
- Ring-shaped marks on the scope from previous mountings.
- The distance from each mounting disc to the corresponding nearest end on the crossbar.

I couldn't determine if the multiplication symbol in the text on the scope is raised from the baseline or on it, but that would also have been a tell.

It looks like the real bull barrel was a sleeve as well!

Or is this not the real prop?

Last edited:
Range Rover didn't make four door models of that vehicle until 1981, plus that's a left-hand drive car. So either the gun was back in the states after Empire was made, or something else is going on...

Range Rover didn't make four door models of that vehicle until 1981, plus that's a left-hand drive car. So either the gun was back in the states after Empire was made, or something else is going on...

I was gonna say, that RR pic has to be very recent; that Chevy 4 door truck in the background is easily a 2000 or newer model.

As Darth deduced, Kpax has done a genius job of replicating the Hero Prop. Right down to the pattern of the scratches on the wooden grips. It seems only right that the person who arguably did more than anyone else in uncovering the details of this prop should produce a replica that could potentially fool people into mistaking it for the original.

Way to go, Pat! Your skills are amazing. Can't wait to see a build thread on this one...

...are you guys saying that this is not the real HERO? Oh man... I just spent 10,000 on it ...all in advance. ! He wanted 17.

I also won the original Falcon in a card game.... I hope THAT one is real...

The guy said it was the one that Ford had.

ford-falcon-4.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Pat, if you managed to get that gun for $10,000, you got a bargain. The gun Ford used in his next Sci Fi adventure went for 25 times that! As for the Falcon, What a piece of junk!

Wow, you're right - looking closely at it, I can make out several details that are MGC specific - really had me fooled for a while too. Now I feel kinda stupid too, but I blame that on Pat's unparalleled crafting skills - FANTASTIC job, good sir! :lol / :facepalm

And now, another topic:
There are those who believe that the original Mauser C96 pistol was painted, and those who believe that it was not.
What evidence is there to suggest that it was painted?

Wow, you're right - looking closely at it, I can make out several details that are MGC specific - really had me fooled for a while too.
No, that is clearly not a MGC but a real Mauser. The biggest tell for an MGC is that it has a pin in the trigger and one in the bolt. Also, a real Mauser has some rounded edges and corners where those same features on a MGC are sharp.
See my post on the previous page for tells that show that he used a DEC kit. (although I am not 100% sure about the scope)

hahahahaa... It fooled me too, long enough to rattle one email off, and then... I sent another about five minutes later calling it. hahaha It's the best replica EVAR!1!!! Imagine if it had been on a real mauser.

Stupid good. I'm going to have to give mine some more attention.

As for the original being painted... I'm standing firmly in the "Nope" camp.

And now, another topic:
There are those who believe that the original Mauser C96 pistol was painted, and those who believe that it was not.
What evidence is there to suggest that it was painted?

No, that is clearly not a MGC but a real Mauser. The biggest tell for an MGC is that it has a pin in the trigger and one in the bolt. Also, a real Mauser has some rounded edges and corners where those same features on a MGC are sharp.
See my post on the previous page for tells that show that he used a DEC kit. (although I am not 100% sure about the scope)

I understand that the MGC is different than a real Mauser in minute dimensions - I myself own two. But, as I recall, Pat went through the trouble of recontouring his MGC to more closely match a real Mauser. I did that to my first and am partway through finishing my second in the same way. I know the trigger is definitely a real one. Unless Pat also managed to snag a real Mauser sometime between now and then, he did a perfect job with modding his MGC into looking like a real one.

Here's how to tell: the biggest sign is the holes behind the ejection port scallops - the shaping of them isn't like a real Mauser's, but a heavily modded MGC. Also, those scallops themselves don't 100% match any real Mauser - the back scallops cut deeper into the receiver than the front ones, while a real Mauser has both approximately level with one another.

There's more I could list off, but I'm too lazy to type it all out. :p

That's pretty funny, Scott. As for his build, Kpax will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he used a heavily (and very well) modified MGC. Also, he didn't mill the mystery disc and the gun is blued, not painted. I think people's reactions are pretty good evidence for those being the most likely techniques used on the original. I'm certainly in the blued not painted camp myself.

And kudos to Kpax for the entertaining rollout!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back