Batman 1989 - finished suit - new updates on page 4!

Re: Batman 1989 - Using real deal parts to complete my suit - Lots of pics

Hi Robonar. I'm new to the site. I'm wondering if you can post some closeup pics of the cowl/cape harness. What type of material did you use for it? What type of fasteners did you use under the chest armor? I assume you did this prior to mounting your armor to the undersuit. This is a killer suit!!! Great job!

Re: Batman 1989 - Using real deal parts to complete my suit - Lots of pics

Hey Guys. I have a suit, i don't have the nike boots yet and my gloves are exact but I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get more mobility in my arms. I can't really lift them up now. Comicon is in a few days and I know there will be a lot of photogs shooting me. Thanks in advance!

Re: Batman 1989 - UPDATE WITH NEW PICS!

I have returned with some updates. This is it for my 89. 100% done, finally.
It's been years since my last update and I have been carefully studying the movie suit more and more while reworking bits and pieces, such as my belt, gloves, cowl and armor. I've remounted it all to a new under suit I sewn up myself (getting better at it..lol) which is now a two piece instead of one whole under suit. It still follows majority of the design pattern of the real under suit, only that I can unlatch it in case i needed to use the men's room. :p

I've also managed to finally finish up my wife's Catwoman suit from head to toe, as best I could. I literally sewn up her entire suit out of a much stretchier fabric this time, which not only looked better than her last suit, but breathed better too. Her last suit was made of a thicker, more rigid vinyl coated fabric. This one is a 4 way stretch spandex fabric. All the stitching, was referenced off the actual suit Michelle wore. The cowl she wears is a beautiful Shawn Reeves piece which I've modified so it would fit my girl's head a little better. It's a big difference from the last photo I posted years back of the same cowl. It's a perfect fit now. :)

So much work has gone into this hobby. But this is it. I'm done with it. If I ever wear another Keaton bat suit again, it will have to be a foam cast armor or some kind of flexible foam with either a thin skin of latex or urethane rubber. Not doing this rigid rubber stuff anymore.

I hope you all enjoy the pics below.

therealdeal-batnarsuit2015-smaller.jpg

therealdeal-batnarsuit2015-closeup.jpg

therealdeal-batnarsuit2015-2.jpg

A pic from my girl's cell phone. It's interesting to see my belt look totally opaque without a hint of a metallic finish here.

cellphonepic1-batnar-smaller.jpg

My girl testing out her suit.

catwom-selfie-2.jpg

therealdeal-catwoman2015-2.jpg

Attachments

• therealdeal-batnarsuit2015-closeup.jpg
    therealdeal-batnarsuit2015-closeup.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Re: Batman 1989 - NEW UPDATE PICS on page 4!!

Your armour... you say is Latex.. whos armour did you use for you final build as most
are urethane..

My very first suit was made of urethane, which was back in 2009. The urethane armor was nice but too big for me, as it was sculpted to fit bigger guys around 6 feet tall or something close to that. I'm only 5'8 with no shoes on. My boots give me about and inch and a half of height, so I end up being almost as tall as Michael Keaton was at the time, which according to his actual body cast, was 5'9 (with no shoes on either). Anyways, I then obtained a latex set of the same mold which has shrunk down about 5 percent (maybe more). These fit my body much better although they were cast too thick and rigid, to be honest. The armor you see up here is actually the same one I used in the earlier posts I made a couple years ago. All I did was remove all the old layers of plasti dip, and re-painted it. Then I went in with a Q-tip dipped in armor all and drew around the muscles to accentuate the cuts, as well as add a slight sheen in between while the rest of surface is more flat and rubbery looking.

The arm and calve pieces here are actually urethane. The cowl is a new one, also made of urethane, which I ended up reworking to look more like it was fresh out of the oven (foam latex). I made the ears more straight and refinished the face and buffed some of areas above the face to help it react with light and bring out certain details, like the heavy brows and round dome on top of the head, etc.

Im no longer going to wear this suit as it is too uncomfortable. Unless I can get these pieces made in softer polyurethane foam skinned with a thin layer of latex, I'm done wearing the bat suit for good. I've had a nice long run with it so I'm ready to move on. But if I can get a softer suit made, then I'll keep that torch burning for one more year. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Best 89 suit I've ever seen. I thought the first photo was a Hot Toys promo shot.

Thank you gentlemen! Greg, I got that same comment on my FB feed. lol. It does look like a toy from afar. I still have the original pic with my kitchen in the background saved...but ....the kitchen. Kinda throws things off a bit. :lol

Hey Darctic, thank you. That's my paint job on a rigid urethane strap and resin buckle with pods. It's a mix of bronze, chrome yellow and a darker bronze pigment mixed in a clear flexible base paint.
One thing I've learned about this stuff is that it's not as easy as just grabbing parts and gluing them on. You really have to know where the parts sit and how to finish them up so they look legitimate. Took me a lot of tries to figure it out. It also helps to stay in shape. Last year, I managed to gain a few pounds and a gut. So I worked it off for 2 months and ate mostly salads with protein on the side. Eventually, my handles disappeared and my gut has diminished quite a bit. I still have more work to do on myself but at least I got to slip into my suit without any trouble. I really love the 89 bat suit. More than any other bat suit made. Part of it is design, the other part is nostalgia.

Beautiful job.....really neat job on the boot armour ..did you use angelus paint on the trainers ?
need to finish my boots ,but I have Uds for now.

Thank you gentlemen. I agree, they're a pain to get in and out of. Takes forever. The shoe's original color were black. So no dyes involved. For the silver soles however, I did paint them with flexible paint made for vinyl upholstery. The paint works fine on the sides of the shoes but of course, as you can already imagine, scrapes off the bottom of the soles after walking in them. I only recently learned of Angelus paint for shoes and wonder if that's more durable over time and abuse. I've seen the UD 89 boots and they look pretty good too.

Hey Collector, you'll want to buy some swedish tracing fabric. This is for your boot tops pattern. Then either some upholstery faux leather or real leather (you can manufacture a set of boot tops from some used black leather pants). If you have a place where they can sew it on for you, then just take your stuff there with a print or two of the real bat boots (or even mine here) and they'll sew it right onto your shoes for you. Otherwise, you'll either want to glue them on to your shoe, which is what I did or buy yourself a sewing awl and good luck.

I have several large pics of my boots from different angles I can PM you with, to help give you an idea of what the pattern looks like around the shoe. I own a sewing machine, so I actually sewed the two halfs of one boot top from the rear region and used strong glue (you can use leather glue or even a rubber toughened gel super glue, to attach them to the ankle region of each sneaker.) I cut the tongue out of my Nikes and glued in a long flat boot tongue strip from the same faux leather I used for the tops, underneath the shoe. I'm not sure if anyone else ever did this but I did it so my boots would look less puffy from that area. I also hacked out the foam sponge neck around the ankle area and only left the thin leather outer region in which my boot tops were glued to. This helped my ankles look nice and tight like the real boots. I gotta get back to work in a minute but when I return, I'll send you that pm with the pics. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back