Batman 1989 - finished suit - new updates on page 4!

Re: Batman 1989 - Using real deal parts to complete my suit - Lots of pics

Thanks guys! :) I'll be back again later with more pics when I get this suit completed 100%.

just AWESOME! I also ever wanted to attach cape plates to my RD cape.
Thanks so much sharing!

greenwnvy.gif

Wow!! Your '89 suit looks awesome! It my fav by far and I love how good yours looks! Way to go!!

(y)thumbsup

Thank you so much! I'll be back with more pics tomorrow. :)

BEST Batman Suit iv seen! and Catwoman looks badass too!!

very awesome..just love your costume..plus you can really pull it off. Can't wait to see some more pics. :love

read some info in a book about the undersuit from the 89 movie.

IMG_20111101_202041.jpg

IMG_20111101_202100.jpg

IMG_20111101_202030.jpg

Oh yeah, I have that book too! :$ It's not as detailed as I wish it could be. You'll actually be able to read a more detailed description from Vin Burnham (the sculptor) herself in an interview conducted by Paul Wares, in which she stated it was a spandex/lycra suit which was pre coated in a rubber finish to help blend in with the foam rubber armor. (this interview can be found over at the BOTB forum btw)
For years some of us believed it was a lycra suit sprayed down with latex. She immediately dismissed it and said that wasn't how it was done.
At the time of the interview, she believed that fabric was probably no longer made as she looked and only found similar fabrics but with some light texture to it. This information came from Paul Wares himself as he was also interested to have one done some day.

I stumbled upon this fabric whilst looking at fetish clothing one day and felt the fabric looked spot on. I asked the online manager what it was made of and I was told it was a matte vinyl rubber finish over a 4 way stretch spandex/lycra. Then I went off to purchase a few yards online to sew up a suit crossing my fingers it would work. And it did. :):thumbsup I plan to make 2 more suits with all the right trimmings and vented back to attach one pristine suit and another to be my batwing damaged suit. Once I'm done with Batman, I will then apply the same amount of passion and dedication towards a very believable Jack Nicholson Joker. :love

You are amazing!!!!!! Love the Catwoman suit too.

Same here bro, I easily could've used another week to work on the undersuit but I got it good enough to go out.. the undersuit is way way way cooler then a wetsuit, infact I didn't sweat at all, and I spent a good amount of time on the dance floor :)
I might do the undersuit over though (using the same material) I had my wife sew it together and neither of us and any experience making a suit so there's a few things I'd like re-done by someone that knows what they're doing.. anywho here's a pic of us on Halloween-
386396_152957194802469_100002645696082_217649_977283884_n.jpg

Thanks for the info and help Nar, I still like your cowl better then mine:thumbsup

Looks great- I really like thta bat pocket.:cool

Yeah bro, we hit the jackpot with the under suit thing. I couldn't survive an hour using a wetsuit out here in AZ (although our Halloween nights are nice and cool) it's still hot to wear. This fabric we're using is much more comfortable and stretchy. You look sharp and your wife did a great job! :) It was real hard for me to make my suit whilst trying to match the seams and pattern of the original. It's a lot more complicated than a standard leotard pattern. I will be taking mine apart soon and un stitch my under suit and draw out the patterns for future reference. The second suit should be perfect with spandex vent on the back, hidden zippers within the arm and feet sleeves, etc. Looks like we still got work to do! ;-] Next year, I promise this build will be solid, front, back, top to bottom. Let's rock it!

You are amazing!!!!!! Love the Catwoman suit too.

Thank you so much! :$
I must say though, I'm cannot accept such compliment. That credit deserves to be given to the artisans who sculpted and or restored these fabulous parts.
The list I know of includes:

Mr.X - for my chest , legs and real deal 89 cape
Paul Wares - for my real deal cowl, arm, knee caps & calve parts.
Ed Farrel - emblem
Fred Bouvet - replica gloves
David Pea - leather boot spats and shin armor.
The belt, I don't know who actually made it.

The only thing I can really take credit for is my replica 89 under suit I sewn up for myself, the modding of my cowl, the paint job on my emblem, belt and the over all preparations, sanding, etc of the parts prior to carefully assembling it on my under suit.
The rest is history.
So many many thanks to these gentlemen with great skills and knowledge for giving me the opportunity to put this together. It is my favorite movie costume next to Robocop. Im blessed to have it in my possession. :)

Last edited:

Your costume is beautiful Nar. I hadn't seen any recent updates since the '89 myspace page. It's perfect. Very nice!

Great suit Nat , I had alot of fun putting mine together best suit I have ever finished .

Awesome suit man! I got a returns mask with a latex Keaton face in it and am looking for the other parts, are they still available or can you point me in the direction to get the rest of the costume?

Last edited:

Interesting about the runners, because nowadays most SWAT type boots are based on runner lasts [forms], not boots.

Batman was first.

Thanks guys! Well, here's the deal so far. I took apart all the armor from the under suit. Since it was my first time making my own rubber coated under suit, it wasn't perfect. I found out I may have made the sleeves a little too tight and not perfectly positioned. The rest of it fit really well though.
I was supposed to apply zippers around the end of the sleeves and calves to help me slip into the tight suit more efficiently, but I didn't get to do any of that. So it ended up being a rush job. So, the 89 project is not done yet. And I'm kind of glad as I LOVE fooling around with this suff.

I will be making a second under suit that should be just right for me this time around and remount the armor as perfectly as possible. Some adjustments will be made so that my cowl's shoulder scallops sit closer to the shoulders of the torso as well (might have to use industrial velcro to help keep it on as close as possible).
The belt will be repainted with a color closer to the actual screen used belt, according to on screen images (since no one has a copy of the actual belt). I've developed a pigment that seems pretty close to some screen caps (not all of them though as some seem bright yellow, others more gold and some in between the two, due to lighting and god knows what). After I paint it, it should looks really good, with or without the flash. =]

My bat boots will be recreated using the trainers and I will do everything in my power to make my boot armor stick tightly and wrapped as close as possible to the boot sleeve so it looks form fitted and not all loose and clunky like you see in my pic. That was the result of a rush job. blegh..

Arm and calve parts will be added on this time as well and I will be working on my facial make up work to try and make my mouth look like Keaton (skin pigment as well since I'm a darker fellah). I just really want to look the part to the point people will make a double take on me due to confusion lol....

In the past I played around with make up and gave myself that Keaton frown, with the little lines on each side of his mouth and it looked funny but definitely showed potential. With careful air brush work, in matter finish, it should look interesting to say the least.... well... we'll see.

If I manage to accomplish it all by next Halloween, I will finally retire this suit and move on to another build. Maybe a Batman Returns suit or a Bat wing damaged bat suit with blood on my face, like in the Bell Tower scene, since I do have a set of really flawed latex 89 armor lying around.

Ah well, thanks again and glad you enjoyed the pics. When I get around it again, I'll update this topic with all new pics. Take care all!

I love the Battle Damage 89 Batman suit look.

Has anyone finished one yet? I know there was some talk a while back on BOTB.

Nick

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back