Batman 1989 - finished suit - new updates on page 4!

Re: Batman 1989 - Using real deal parts to complete my suit - Lots of pics

I never get tired of reading your posts about the 89 suit, Nar. As an 89 hardcore fan I'm on the same route, updating all the parts to RD, now I'm waiting for Inferno's RD 89 cowl.

Good work, man. Looking forward to your completed RD costume!

LOVE your suit!! Amazing..and you look great in it! REALLY pull the look off. For me, the 89' suit IS BATMAN..I like the new Nolan stuff...but Burton's 89' original just nails it for me..had keaton had of been a bigger guy like 6'2" or 6'4"...aould have been 100% perfect for me.

Outstanding work on your 89 Bat suit! :love

I always felt that the 89 Keaton suit is the best looking Batman suit ever made.

i had a blast being The 89 Batman last year for Halloween and being around 6'6 in costume people were genuinely intimidated when i was around lol. I love the RD parts nothing looks quite like the 89 bat, fantastic job!

Last edited:

Nar that looks perfect- are those the fins I sent you?

Regards!

Joshy

One word...AMAZING!!!!!!

Love what you've done and it is very inspiring:)

Best
TAZ

BTW i checked spandexworld.com were u got your material. Any chance of a material # or name for anyone else looking to make their own suit?

nice build, I thought the gym shoes he wore under the boot covering were a pair of old Jordans, I have to see if I can dig up my nike pictures, but if you google "batman jordan" it brings a few images under the image tabs

After Robonar pointed out air trainers were used, i checked it out myself to see which led me to find out that in batman returns the air jordan VI were modified. I saved some pics of it since I am a huge air jordan fan :love
Glad to see batman has style

View attachment 66527View attachment 66529View attachment 66530

Looking awesome, Robonar!!!

Keaton's Batman was the first outfit that inspired me to really do a REAL costume. I'd been enjoying Halloween since I was kid and my mom taught us how to make costumes from stuff around the house. But this was another story, before the internet and sites like this!

Let's see, I was 30 years old in 1989 and bought all the latex pieces that came out right after the film.

Used a heavy rubber diving suit for the body and wearing the suit was a weight loss program itself!!

Did a lot of events, Say No to Drug programs for my kid's school and even met Bob Kane at a Halloween event at Sea World. They used me in the show to "stop" Bob Kane's car and assist him and his lady out of the car to meet the fans. Mr. Kane was very complimentary of my presentation, as I think he felt Batman should have been taller, and I'm 6'4".

Anyhow, enough about me:$ I just was so surprised to see someone pull this all together so well after all these years...took me down memory lane.

Funny what you said about Keaton's expressions, as I got so used to "pooching" my lips like his, I found myself doing it even was I wasn't in costume!

You really have the look nailed down!!! Your efforts have paid off to the least detail.

I'll certainly watch this thread with great pleasure!

Michael

Hey thanks guys! I have a great deal of respect for all the artisans who were involved in making these pieces. They are definitely some of the finest parts I ever handled. :)
So, updates! I have been very busy with work the last couple of months, so I didn't get to do so much. However, Just about a week ago, I finally got my under suit fabric and a few other things.
I got started on my under suit two days ago and I'm just about finished with the torso portion. Being how I'm not that experienced sewing things up on my own, the project started out a little bumpy but I took it really slow doing small areas at a time. I'm currently sewing up the left sleeve and once thats done, I will be applying the zipper in the spine area and two smaller ones around the wrist to help make it easier to slip into.

There was only one issue I had with the fabric.. It wasn't a 4 way stretch spandex like the swatch I received from spandex world. (I didn't end up buying from spandex world because they were out of stock at the time so I got my roll from ebay). The fabric I'm working on has the exact same finish as the swatch, but it's actually only a 2 way stretch fabric. So, I had to plan out the direction of stretch prior to stitching the pieces together. So far so good. I think this may work. I'm still ordering from spandex world though, for the 4 way stretch fabric. This one I'm working on will serve as a master template when I'm done with it. :)

I'll post progress pics soon. Thanks for the comments!

By faaaaaaaaaaaaaar..... still my favorite Batman. Keaton as Batman is just one bad dude. Your costume is just amazing. I tried a couple times to get a 89 Bat suit together came close but never panned out and had to sell it for some reason or another:-(
BUT! Your fantastic suit is very inspirational to get it started again. I may be PMing you for help;-)
Can't wait to see your all finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice outfit!

Funny- I missed this thread the first time around. I just watched Batman '89 last night and today this thread gets bumped. :)

Amazing job on the suit and big kudos going for the screen accurate parts! The cape is HUGE! If it wasn't for the torso inserted for scale, I never would have imagined it is that big! :eek

This too is my favourite incarnation of the Batsuit. The Panther suit is number two for me.

Kevin

Last edited:

Gorgeous suit and I love you are going so far as to get contacts so you can look the part even more. Awesome!

This is an awesome build. I love the original Tim Burton Batman movies with Michael Keaton. The costume looks spot on! I would love to have my own costume.

Thanks everyone.:$

Alrighty... Here's what happened. We had this night planned out months ago. But I couldn't invest more time with the suits as I would of liked. If I had one more week, this build would have been sharp in every detail. Alas...reality strikes, work calls and other obligations must be taken care of.

Sooooo, I didn't want to call it off and disappoint the lady who was excited about her catwoman suit I made. (eesh, not easy). I polished up Shawn's awesome Catwoman cowl (made the eye holes bigger, painted in the stitching and gave it a nice gloss coat for extra sheen to match her suit. As you can see though, I didn't get to do all the stitching. She didn't care though. She liked it anyways.:-]

And as for my suit, also incomplete. Just enough was done to be able to suit up and hit the night with friends, sadly...
Oh...Let me say right now, as an announcement to all 89 fans who are looking to build a great 89 suit.... The under suit WORKS.. This is IT! Totally screen accurate surface and very durable. I'm very convinced this was more so the same type Keaton used in the movie Batman. It was noted it was made of spandex (4 way stretch) and coated in rubber.
This stuff looks like neoprene but a lot thinner and cooler in temp.
My parts stayed on even with the most stressed movements. Very happy with it! So, no more coating your under suits with latex! I did that once, totally regret it as it was a horrible experience.
The fabric is called matte vinyl spandex. Look it up! :wink

Keep in mind the durability does depend on how well you glue your parts which also means how well you prepare them before gluing them on. Also, how small you make your suit. You don't need to make it too tight. Seriously. If you're worried about wrinkling and such, do what I did and sew in a stretch band on the ends of your sleeves, both feet and hands. It helps keep if from bunching up around your joint, etc. :up

Having a very smooth under suit like this really makes a difference buds.

My only regret besides not being able to complete my suit 100%, including painting my belt or making my boots with the trainers, is that I didn't get to take more pics with our camera. :frown We were already late and had to leave.
But, no worries as I plan to take some during day time one of these days to show it all off, front and back.

Let me say, sewing up my own under suit was TEDIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I screwed up so many times but I kept pushing and pushing forward. I finally did it and it wasn't a perfect execution but I know have my patterns set for my own frame. I will be making another 2 for myself (please do not contact me to make you one because I still suck at sewing and ..no way. lol sorry. Maybe after I grow more comfortable making different sizes. Maybe.)

Oh btw, with this build, I finally created a cape harness to lock my cowl onto the cape and torso. And I also adhered the cowl scallops to the rd cape ribs. Makes a world of a difference.
I had no idea that by gluing it to the cape and bolting it down would look so different than when I used to just pop the cowl over the chest and no cape harness.

Well, here's a couple of not so great quality pics my special lady friend. I promise to take a bunch more later when the suit is 100% complete. :up

Many thanks to Shawn, Mr.X!!!, PJWares, Fred B, and Joshy. I couldn't have made this happen without your help.

cape_scallopdetailsharn.jpg

cape_scallopdetailsharn2.jpg

Flash got us bad here but you can see the under suit better since I didn't get to glue on the arm and calve parts yet.
batcatflashed.jpg

And here we are.
batcat1.jpg

It's not that revealing yet but I'll show you more angles of the suit soon. The journey is not over yet!
Rock on bros and sis's. And Happy Halloween!!!

Top notch!!!!

This is one of my 2 top favorite Batman costumes, I really like the Batman forever Panther suit even though the movie is not that great.

GFollano

Last edited:

Thats it! Beautifuly done! Well now i'm hooked again. I needs to get started on a new 89 suit for myself.
Have fun brotha!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back