Batman 1989 - finished suit - new updates on page 4!

Re: Batman 1989 - Using real deal parts to complete my suit - Lots of pics

That looks great cant wait to see it together. Hope you will be mounting the cape/cowl with the plate. Should really make it pop.

Lisa

Love this suit!

The Nike trainer based "boots" are so awesome as well.

Hey thanks for the comments. Bob Dullam did an excellent job on the torso and upper leg armor sculpt. Next to the real one, I think it's the best 89 work today. PJWares did a remarkable job restoring the real deal 89 cowl, arm, calves, knee cap armor and soon to be in my possession, a copy of the real torso he restored. EFarrel pulled the nice casts of the belt and emblem. And Mr.X did a fantastic job on the real deal cape. The real leather gloves were very well done by Nitestar - although slightly over sized for my hands ;p - Just giving credit where it's really deserved. :)

All I did were my boots and will be doing my own under suit to attach all these great parts onto. :$ I'm not an experienced tailor. But I'm going to give it my best.

Oh! By the way, the fabric passed my tests guys. :thumbsup I will be using this rubberized fabric for my under suit. I will be ordering yards of it and start making it in a month from today.
I glued a piece of latex using a rubber toughened flexi super glue onto the fabric, let it sit for 30 minutes, then I began to violent pull and tug the latex. It took a lot of stress to finally have it ripped off the surface revealing the spandex underneath the rubber coat. The same way it would tear off from regular spandex which many of us 89 bat fans have used for our under suit. No damage was done to the latex though. The spandex was still intact with only a layer of rubber coating leeched off.

Then, I conducted a second test which proved to be most successful.
This time, I glued the latex onto the fabric, same glue, and flipped it over and added a small line of glue on that side following the shape of the latex that's on the other side, to attempt to help reinforce the attachment. Gave it 10 minutes and began to pull and tug. Nothing. It was still on the material. :$ So I pulled even harder and the latex, not the fabric, began to peel off! A layer of latex peeled off and the fabric was still intact. The first thing I thought to myself was "man..this is the one!".
But...this was just a small test. I took two pics to show you guys and I will also show you the exact glue I used. I will post those later today.
The next test, is the one that will really say whether or not this fabric is ideal for an 89 under suit. And that is adhering all my armor on a fully finished under suit and see how well it holds up as I will run, jump and stretch out my arms, etc. You never know if some parts are not very friendly with the attachments. So, though I'm anxious to find out now, I have to wait in a month to get my rolls and set up my sewing workstation again.
I hope this works!
My goal is to make the suit near perfect to my dimensions as possible. Not too tight, but just enough to "look" tight but give it enough room for stretch.

Welp, thats it for now. I will be back with some pics so you can see the small tests i conducted and the glue i used.
You guys take care. :$

ps. forgive me for any typos i may have made. Lack of sleep and too much work.

Last edited:

Wow I am loving the undersuit idea- I really hope this works and if it does would you consider making them for fellow 89'ers?

Having as many castings off of screen used pieces as you are having with this costume is an amazing feat for any type of costumer. Congrats on building your dream suit with them. :)

:love Wow, amazing suit!! :thumbsup

Plus you look just like Keaton in it, you have the right jaw for the costume.:D

Hey Robo--any update on how that undersuit is working for you?

Really nice stuff you've compiled there!:thumbsup

nice build, I thought the gym shoes he wore under the boot covering were a pair of old Jordans, I have to see if I can dig up my nike pictures, but if you google "batman jordan" it brings a few images under the image tabs

Dude! Very nicely done, looking forward to your final pics.

Hey thanks folks. :)

Well, I've been really busy with work these days, so I haven't been able to do very much, but I have taken care of some smaller chores with some of my parts here.

I know some of you were waiting for an update on the fabric, but it's like I said in my previous post, I wont be able to fully confirm if this fabric is ideal "to wear" yet until I mount my armor to it. While it looks perfect and feels stretchy, it is slightly more limited in stretch than regular spandex. I want to make sure mobility isn't hindered to the point of uselessness when all is said and done. And again, I won't be doing any mounting for about a month. I'm trying to lose some weight around my gut before i make my first under suit. I'm almost there. The pain!:cry

Here's a couple of pics i took to show you how it looked with latex glued on the fabric from both sides, which adhered really well to it.

fabricshot_gluetest1.jpg

And here's the underside in which I added a very thin flexible super glue so it reinforces the bond.

fabricshot_gluetest2.jpg

If you notice in the first pic, I pulled really hard, away from the fabric to the point where a layer of latex had peeled and was left adhered to the fabric. That's how strong the bond is. My only concern is how well the fabric's finish will hold up around the edges when i begin to move around in the suit, stretching certain areas. Will it break or will it stretch enough to endure such abuse? We'll see. :)

Here's the glues I use for mounting my latex to this fabric. The pink one is a thicker viscosity which is ideal for the surface of the fabric, the blue one is a very thin viscosity which is ideal for the underside of the fabric. *so it soaks in and contacts the other end of the fabric which is super glued to the latex*

hobbylinc_glue.jpg

I am almost certain you can also use Weldwood contact cement too though as an alternative glue for latex armor on this fabric. You just have to have someone there for sure, to help you out unless you have a life cast of your entire self to mount your suit or a mannequin of same proportion as you.

Now moving onto my bat gloves. These are Nitestar's gloves which many bat costuming fans are familiar with. As great a quality these gloves are, they're not entirely screen accurate. For one, they're missing the suede index finger.
And second, they're a bit bigger than than they should be for my hands.
Soooo... I began to study the gloves from inside out and thought that I could modify them to have the suede fingers.
So I went to work and successfully got the tip of the finger done. I was lucky to have a sheet of quality black suede in my closet to work with.
It was a little difficult working with leather, but definitely not impossible, considering I hand sewn it myself.

Here's some shots to show you how i started and how it ended up.

glove_suedetip_stitch.jpg

Finished finger tip.

glove_suedetip.jpg

So now that I've grown some confidence, I can continue on with the rest of the areas that need suede, bringing my gloves one step closer to screen accuracy without having to buy a whole new pair. :)

Then I have this. My old resin 89 grapple gun prop I grabbed from evilbay years back. It was never in great shape. But at the time, I wasn't all that focused in the finish as I am today. I was going to actually trash this but my gf convinced me I could clean it up and use it for Halloween pics, etc. So I gave it a shot...

You can still see some dents and the fake screws in molded in the piece after my first sand job.
grapgun_firstprime.jpg

Then, after a couple days in of more primer and sanding, it got nicer. Not perfect, but I deem it worthy of handling for pics with the suit on.
I even drilled holes in where the fake screws were so I can add in real metal screws instead. I also cut aluminum to replace the plastic handle cover that goes on the other side. I will be airbrushing this to a nice satin black finish. The dart in bright gold. I will also add those target pieces that sits on the middle of the barrel as well as the tip of the base.

grapgun_finalprime.jpg

grapgun_finalprime2.jpg

And lastly, for now, my contact lenses. Since I have dark brown eyes, I needed to grab a pair of lenses to help me look more like Keaton under the cowl. I know that Keaton has green eyes in the first movie. But I got mine in grey because in real life, when I put these on, it just looks more natural and realistic than the green ones I got before. And the grey ones take better pics than the colored ones too. I also felt Keaton looked like he had grey colored eyes due to the washed out colors they used in production. Only in close ups, did they look green. Hey whatever works right?:$

contacts.jpg

Alright, that's it for now. I'll update this topic as soon as I have something to update it with.
Take care everyone!:thumbsup

nice build, I thought the gym shoes he wore under the boot covering were a pair of old Jordans, I have to see if I can dig up my nike pictures, but if you google "batman jordan" it brings a few images under the image tabs

Oh yeah, he did wear Jordans. But not in the first Batman film. He used the Jordans in Batman Returns. In the first installment, he used Air Trainer 3's as the base of his boots. :)

Hey thanks folks. :)

Well, I've been really busy with work these days, so I haven't been able to do very much, but I have taken care of some smaller chores with some of my parts here.

I know some of you were waiting for an update on the fabric, but it's like I said in my previous post, I wont be able to fully confirm if this fabric is ideal "to wear" yet until I mount my armor to it. While it looks perfect and feels stretchy, it is slightly more limited in stretch than regular spandex. I want to make sure mobility isn't hindered to the point of uselessness when all is said and done. And again, I won't be doing any mounting for about a month. I'm trying to lose some weight around my gut before i make my first under suit. I'm almost there. The pain!:cry

Here's a couple of pics i took to show you how it looked with latex glued on the fabric from both sides, which adhered really well to it.

fabricshot_gluetest1.jpg

And here's the underside in which I added a very thin flexible super glue so it reinforces the bond.

fabricshot_gluetest2.jpg

If you notice in the first pic, I pulled really hard, away from the fabric to the point where a layer of latex had peeled and was left adhered to the fabric. That's how strong the bond is. My only concern is how well the fabric's finish will hold up around the edges when i begin to move around in the suit, stretching certain areas. Will it break or will it stretch enough to endure such abuse? We'll see. :)

Here's the glues I use for mounting my latex to this fabric. The pink one is a thicker viscosity which is ideal for the surface of the fabric, the blue one is a very thin viscosity which is ideal for the underside of the fabric. *so it soaks in and contacts the other end of the fabric which is super glued to the latex*

hobbylinc_glue.jpg

I am almost certain you can also use Weldwood contact cement too though as an alternative glue for latex armor on this fabric. You just have to have someone there for sure, to help you out unless you have a life cast of your entire self to mount your suit or a mannequin of same proportion as you.

Now moving onto my bat gloves. These are Nitestar's gloves which many bat costuming fans are familiar with. As great a quality these gloves are, they're not entirely screen accurate. For one, they're missing the suede index finger.
And second, they're a bit bigger than than they should be for my hands.
Soooo... I began to study the gloves from inside out and thought that I could modify them to have the suede fingers.
So I went to work and successfully got the tip of the finger done. I was lucky to have a sheet of quality black suede in my closet to work with.
It was a little difficult working with leather, but definitely not impossible, considering I hand sewn it myself.

Here's some shots to show you how i started and how it ended up.

glove_suedetip_stitch.jpg

Finished finger tip.

glove_suedetip.jpg

So now that I've grown some confidence, I can continue on with the rest of the areas that need suede, bringing my gloves one step closer to screen accuracy without having to buy a whole new pair. :)

Then I have this. My old resin 89 grapple gun prop I grabbed from evilbay years back. It was never in great shape. But at the time, I wasn't all that focused in the finish as I am today. I was going to actually trash this but my gf convinced me I could clean it up and use it for Halloween pics, etc. So I gave it a shot...

You can still see some dents and the fake screws in molded in the piece after my first sand job.
grapgun_firstprime.jpg

Then, after a couple days in of more primer and sanding, it got nicer. Not perfect, but I deem it worthy of handling for pics with the suit on.
I even drilled holes in where the fake screws were so I can add in real metal screws instead. I also cut aluminum to replace the plastic handle cover that goes on the other side. I will be airbrushing this to a nice satin black finish. The dart in bright gold. I will also add those target pieces that sits on the middle of the barrel as well as the tip of the base.

grapgun_finalprime.jpg

grapgun_finalprime2.jpg

And lastly, for now, my contact lenses. Since I have dark brown eyes, I needed to grab a pair of lenses to help me look more like Keaton under the cowl. I know that Keaton has green eyes in the first movie. But I got mine in grey because in real life, when I put these on, it just looks more natural and realistic than the green ones I got before. And the grey ones take better pics than the colored ones too. I also felt Keaton looked like he had grey colored eyes due to the washed out colors they used in production. Only in close ups, did they look green. Hey whatever works right?:$

contacts.jpg

Alright, that's it for now. I'll update this topic as soon as I have something to update it with.
Take care everyone!:thumbsup

Very fortunate you didn't ditch that speargun, as there are very few people that make evn close to authentic ones now. You mainly have liars like Kingofswords.com that sell things that are forever out of stock.

Great work so far!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back