Christies Star Trek auction catalog!

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wow. My "standard edition" Christies catalog hit my doorstep this afternoon. Good stuff. :)

This is a major, major auction. One thousand lots in all. Three days to sell all this stuff. The catalog alone is in two volumes, 518 pages total. Edited by Mike and Denise Okuda. Introductory note by Greg Jein.

Let me tell you right off: the majority of items here are costumes, set pieces, and miniatures. Relatively few props. No props at all from The Original Series, and very few from TNG or the motion pictures.

Still... there are some fantastic items here. The most unexpected pieces are the STARSHIP MINIATURES on the block... just mindblowing stuff, including

- the hero USS Enterprise "refit" filming miniature made for Star Trek the Motion Picture, and used in all the subsequent films

- the hero 78-in USS Enterprise-D miniature built for Star Trek the Next Generation

- the hero USS Enteprise-C built for "Yesterday's Enterprise"

- hero Deep Space Nine space station miniature

- hero USS Voyager miniature

- hero USS Reliant miniature from WOK (and later reused)

- surviving costumes and partially-built costumes from TOS and even the pilot episodes (although many of the TOS-"style" pieces are actually from DS9 "Trials and Tribbleations", Enterprise "In a Mirror Darkly", or the unproduced "Star Trek Phase II" series)

- the wall consoles from the TOS-style bridge built for Enterprise "In a Mirror Darkly"

- Picard's captain's chair from the Enterprise-E

- and it goes on and on. Probably the "cutest" entry in the auction is the off-the-shelf Art Asylum phaser toy, "used by Captain Archer in "In a Mirror Darkly" "... expected to sell for $500-700. :lol

DSC04522.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

DSC04525.jpg

DSC04528.jpg

DSC04529.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04534.jpg

DSC04535.jpg

DSC04538.jpg

DSC04539.jpg

DSC04540.jpg

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04543.jpg

DSC04544.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

Looks great.

Glad to see it's out. I'll have to stop by next week and pick mine up.

Arthur

Wow, great photos, I guess I'll have to break down and order a catalog set.

IÂ’m really surprised about the miniatures going to the block in mass. The shame of it will be that they will now be scattered around the world and IÂ’m sure some will disappear into to private collections never to be seen again. :(

Jim

Thanks for posting these..i didnt get the catalogue yet but these will clearly be an awesome document of what is selling. I for one cannot believe the sheer amount of stuff...and will be there for the auction if only for the spectacle.

Thanks for the preview, Phase. Looks amazing....how did it ship (USPS, Fed Ex?) and from where? Someone tried to deliver something to me today so curious what it could be (could be anything LOL)....

My dream acquisition would be the hero 78" Enterprise D from TNG.....

Thanks for the reminder about this, I was meaning to order it and never got around to it.

I know I can't afford any of this stuff, but it's cool to at least have the catalog.

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Aug 19 2006, 01:57 AM) [snapback]1303333[/snapback]</div>
My dream acquisition would be the hero 78" Enterprise D from TNG.....
[/b]

I second that :love .Will this all be viewable at Christies?If so I hope someone gets
some good pics for us.

Thanks for the photos Phase Pistol. :)

Cheers,
Ben

So whay are these hero miniatures being sold? I assume it's Paramount doing the selling?

Damn, they oughtta be in the Smithsonian Air & Space museums, or at least in the Seattle SF museum...

-Mike

Yeah it breaks my heart to see all this stuff go on the block (it really hammers home the point that Star Trek is "over"...), but as it has been pointed out, "Paramount isn't in the business of running a museum." :unsure

And I bet a lot of it COULD end up in Paul Allen's Seattle SF museum, but they're going to make him pay to get it, it looks like. :lol

I plan on going to one of the viewing days (at least), but it's up to them if they let me take photos. Dunno yet. :unsure

Meanwhile some of this stuff may be on display at a con near you... I took a ton of pix at Comic Con (I dunno if they're at the Vegas con this weekend, somebody should check)

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/sdcc06pix/index_4.htm

...starting with seven of nine's costume, and check the following pages, the pix are in several blocks.

DSC03668.jpg

DSC04121.jpg

DSC04226.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, phase.

So... Christie's "40 Years of Star Trek: The Collection - Two Volume Set" catalog costs US $90.00, while the "Special Limited Edition Boxed Set" catalog costs $500.00. I couldn't find any description on Christie's site about the differences between these catalogs. Can anyone enlighten me? :confused

Actually the tricorders were at the Profiles auction. :)

That "TOS" tricorder looked really authentic tho didn't it? Conflicting stories I've heard include (1) it's an authentic TOS tric as advertised, (2) a fake, probably by Mark English, or (3) a very good fan copy, which had been commissioned for use in the unproduced Star Trek Phase II series (as for example the Brad Nelson phasers were intended for use in Phase II).

You can pick the story that sounds most plausible. :lol

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Aug 19 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]1303390[/snapback]</div>
Thanks for the heads-up, phase.

So... Christie's "40 Years of Star Trek: The Collection - Two Volume Set" catalog costs US $90.00, while the "Special Limited Edition Boxed Set" catalog costs $500.00. I couldn't find any description on Christie's site about the differences between these catalogs. Can anyone enlighten me? :confused
[/b]

By the way, DIBS. I CALL DIBS on everything in the catalog. You guys can fight over my scraps. :D

You know I asked the folks at the Christies booth at Comic Con what it was that justified the extraordinary price tag on the "deluxe" catalog. Apparently it's just a DVD of Mike and Denise Okuda cataloguing the items, and a few interviews. :unsure

You don't even get a crappy little model landspeeder or anything. :lol

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(Anakin Starkiller @ Aug 19 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]1303392[/snapback]</div>
What is the scale of the Enterprise A model?
Is it the same size of the new Polar lights model?
[/b]

The Enterprise A in my photos, is actually an off-the-shelf, "smoothie" (aka "first issue") AMT model kit from "Star Trek The Motion Picture".

DSC03678.jpg

Somebody built up a storebought kit, but fitted it inside with neon tubing for lighting... very elaborate, the back plates are attached with Allen screws for access... the model is actually seen in "Wrath of Khan" in long shots, and in "Search for Spock" in scenes such as where the damaged Enterprise is flying up to the Spacedock.

Later it was re-decoed to represent the Enterprise-A, and made its final appearace in "Star Trek VI, the Undiscovered Country".

If however you mean the "hero" miniature shown on the Christies catalog pages

DSC04523.jpg

That would be the primary filming miniature... 100 inches long. :eek

It's actually pretty shocking that they're selling that... it's not the 11-footer from TOS, but it's probably the second-best known spaceship in all of Star Trek.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Aug 19 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]1303393[/snapback]</div>
You know I asked the folks at the Christies booth at Comic Con what it was that justified the extraordinary price tag on the "deluxe" catalog. Apparently it's just a DVD of Mike and Denise Okuda cataloguing the items, and a few interviews. :unsure [/b]
A $410.00 DVD?. :confused

Are the Okudas documenting each piece extensively on camera? I guess I can see value in that. But with the number of pieces in the catalog, it would have to be a whole series of DVDs.

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Aug 19 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]1303393[/snapback]</div>
You don't even get a crappy little model landspeeder or anything. :lol[/b]
:lol

Well there are a thousand lots in the auction, it would be a hell of a long DVD :lol ... but I got the impression it's just Mike walking around and pointing out key pieces. If you have the TNG DVD box sets, there's the lady from Paramount (Penny Juday) going thru the warehouse and showing off some of the items... I thought it would be that sort of thing. Plus some interviews. But I haven't seen the DVD so I don't know for sure.

I can't see how the DVD could possibly be worth $410. I mean I'd love to see it, and for cryin' out loud, $90 was plenty just for the standard catalog, how come they didn't put the DVD in that one, and give you a free screenused commbadge or something with the $500 version... :unsure

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Aug 19 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1303397[/snapback]</div>
If you have the TNG DVD box sets, there's the lady from Paramount (Penny Juday) going thru the warehouse and showing off some of the items... I thought it would be that sort of thing. [/b]
I have a special boxed set of "The Original Crew Movie Edition," and several of the Penny Juday videos are included in the special features. They're enjoyable, but, like you, I can't see how the DVD could possibly be worth $410.00. I wonder if there's something else we're missing.

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Aug 19 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1303397[/snapback]</div>
$90 was plenty just for the standard catalog, how come they didn't put the DVD in that one, and give you a free screenused commbadge or something with the $500 version... :unsure[/b]
I hear ya. But, of course, if you're paying $500.00 for the same catalog with a "free screen-used commbadge," then the commbadge isn't exactly "free". :p

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ Aug 19 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]1303426[/snapback]</div>
It all belongs in a museum.[/b]
Agreed.

With any luck, that's where most of it will end up. :unsure

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back