How do I value a screen-used costume?

Bradleyfett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I considering selling a piece from my collection of screen-used costumes from SeaQuest DSV, but before I do the ebay thing or even offer it here, I need to figure out how to get a ball-park idea of what its worth. I don't follow current trends on screen-used stuff, but I know there are a lot of folks who do, so maybe somebody can chime in.

I tried the usual ebay 'completed items' listings, but there isn't any SQ screen-used stuff still there.

Here's a little info about the two pieces I'm considering selling:

Season 3 Captain Oliver Hudson (Michael Ironside) full uniform (sometimes called a 'seasuit')consisting of blue custom-made jumpsuit uniform with all insignia, undershirt with screenprinted SQ logos, utility belt, combat boots. Also comes with certificate of authenticity from the original SQ production auction and a poloroid of the actor wearing the costume. Overall excellent shape.

hudson_sq.jpg

Season 3 Lucas Wolenczak (the late Jon Brandis)full uniform consisting of blue custom-made jumpsuit uniform with all insignia, undershirt with screenprinted SQ logos, utility belt, and removeable work vest that attaches to the uniform. Also comes with certificate of authenticity from the original SQ production auction and a poloroid of the actor wearing the costume. Overall excellent shape.

Lucasseason3a.jpg

Any input is appreciated.

Mark

You could use www.propstore.com as a rough-guide.

Screen-used costumes seem to go from £300 - £2000 depending upon character and movie/series. Named character outfits are valued higher. They also give you $ value.

I would have though Michael Ironside's costume would be more valuable because it's Michael Ironside :)

Just want to add that those Costumes should fetch a bit more as they are from well-known characters.

I still can't believe what happened to Jon.

What a shame. :(

Good luck on your Sale.

<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Aug 18 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1303185[/snapback]</div>
Just want to add that those Costumes should fetch a bit more as they are from well-known characters.

I still can't believe what happened to Jon.

What a shame. :(

Good luck on your Sale.
[/b]

not to derail... but that guy is dead??? :confused what happened? PM please.

good luck with your sale, i think they should deffinatly be worth in the thousands.

its like with baseball cards... they are only worth what some collector is willing to spend... priceguides and forums can only tell you so much.

for instance to someone like me that never saw the show, and is really only a SW prop collector, those wouldnt be worth very much to me...

but what if there is a guy out there with EVERY suit from that season but those 2?

then you would be looking at a LOT OF MONEY. good luck, i would deffinately keep them if you felt you couldnt get more out than what you put into them. :thumbsup

Like oldken said, it all depends on what people are willing to pay. For example: a little under a year ago a full seaQuest costume (same style as yours) went for about $100 on eBay. Now the same costume is on the Prop Store's website for $700 just waiting for the right buyer to come along.

I would imagine the Brandis uniform would be slightly more valuable than the Ironside one as it not only has the clip-on vest but pretty hefty setimental value to his legion of fans -

That being said both these pieces should have at least an $800 reserve and I would expect to get a max of $1500 - The Brody seasuit has changed hands a couple of times for I think no more than $500 - So the screen worn suits themselves are not fantastially expensive.

And as for the uniform listed on propstore's site (if its the one your referring to) is an altogether different uniform made for season 3 from a recycled jumpsuit from season one. The Seasuits for season 2/3 were all custom made by Disney.

Mark - please PM with the details if you decide to offer these and any other seasuit - ya know I've been in the market for some time..

Yeah, Jonathan Brandis commited suicide November 12th, 2003. He hanged himself and died later from his injuries. No drink or drugs-related incident, but according to friends, he could be pretty hard on himsef, and was feeling depressed about his career lull.

He was one of my first teenage crushes and it was a big "Oh, that's what that's about" realisation moment in my life, so when I heard of his passing back in 2003, it was rather profound. :(

honestly , there are worth what some one is going to pay. i picked up ted raimi's jumpsuit for $22 with certificate auction tag, the whole nine yards,,, most of the props i have i have not paid more than $125
all my costumes i have picked up range from $22 - approx $50- $60. there are people who love seaquset, but its not main stream like trek or star wars, so the items do not gain in value as in other markets, sadly for you this might hurt your sale. i watch an ironside jumpsuit go for around the 300 - 350 mark either late last year or early this year. and it had a ton of paperwork, undershirt, boots, cert, signed pic ect...
i watched ebay nervously when seaquest came out on DVD expecting to see a flood of high priced items, but it never happened. good luck with the sale, fingers crossed ...

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ Aug 18 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]1303169[/snapback]</div>
You could use www.propstore.com as a rough-guide.

Screen-used costumes seem to go from £300 - £2000 depending upon character and movie/series. Named character outfits are valued higher. They also give you $ value.

I would have though Michael Ironside's costume would be more valuable because it's Michael Ironside :)
[/b]

On Propstore? I have seen incomplete costumes for 3 times the amounts you mentioned.

I would say choose a price you are willing to part with it for that seems reasonable. I personally love Seaquest but it isn't all that popular anymore except to a small group of fans. I bought a Macronesian Uniform from season 2 for $50. I would ceratinly be interested in the Brandis costume bu I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it. I would guess that you could get alot more on Ebay with the right buyer. Much of it is timing I think. It is also an issue of practicality of display I think. People pay more for items that are ready to hang on the wall etc.

Propstore of London has pretty high prices for most of their props but they are a safe and convenient place to purchase from so I think that increases the prices not to mention the exchange rate.

You do have some sweet items there though.

A place like the Propstore has a better chance at getting that "three times as much" amount as somebody selling on ebay. There are a lot of factors that go into it and finding the maximum price somebody is willing to pay... well, that's the holy grail of every item any of us sell on ebay. Some of the factors that affect value - the reputation of the seller, provenance, condition of the item, if the item can be screen-matched or if it's a duplicate item that matches the style but can't be screen-matched, if it's a hero outfit, stunt, etc. There's a million variations. Don't expect to get what you see the Propstore charge necessarily though.

You've also got to factor in the popularity of the show and the demand for the item. These are all judgement calls. You could start the auction at a few thousand and see if you get any interest... if you've got the original studio CoA, that'll give you a much better chance of getting what you want.

Seaquest DSV has a limited fan base and that will effect the prices realized. While your stuff is nice, for you to get the kind of money you are thinking about, a well healed SQDSV fan would have to find them.

I've handled several SeaQuest props and wardrobe in the past. Unfortunately, they've brought relatively little money in public or private sales.

For the time being, at least, the market is relatively soft for items from this show.

Both of the costumes you have are extremely desirable, but I don't think either of them would bring more than $1000 right now. The Ironside piece is worth the most, however.

Phil

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back