C 3PO helmets: some observations

Nairod

Hi C 3PO fans!

It have been a long sime since I wanted to start a topic like this one.

Indeed, being persuaded that there are differences between the diverse helmets of C 3PO (mainly an ANH and a ESB lineage), I made some observations with screen captures, photos of original props and comparison with helmets replicas.

Certainly that this subject only interest me, but maybe that I'll find some readers and peoples to participate to the discussion.

Initially, I thought there was two main "shape": The ANH lineage, re-used for ROTJ and the ESB lineage, re used for AOTC and ROTS.

From what I read here and on starwarshelmets.com, new suit (and probably helmets) were made for ESB and they re painted/ re chromed some of these for AOTC and ROTS.

It was the start of my observations.

The Antenna:

antennam.jpg

From what we see, the ESB, ROTJ and AOTC helmets seems to have the same type of antenna.
At the beginning I thought that the ANH style was different. Because I have two brass replicas which are supposed to be create with the help of an original ANH antenna (see the last pic). The shape is clearly not the same.
But on some screen captures, the antenna looks similar to the other movie (Im in hurry to have the blueray in order to make HQ captures).
So what's the true? It's a very common replica, but is it the real deal???

You can notice that one of the antenna pictured doesn't have the little hole at the end. As already evoked, it's probably a resin copy for the needs of the exhibition.

The lenses:

lenses.jpg

I guess that the picture speaks itself!

The grids

gridsr.jpg

It seems there is a difference between the ANH style (brass parts, slot-in lens) and the ESB style (just the grid) present on AOTC and ROTS helmets.

Back of the head detailed part

backparts.jpg

As stated before, the ANH helmet looks to have a "removable" detailed part made out of brass or aluminium (maybe machined custom part). We can also find it on (some) ROTJ helmets.
But on (some) ESB helmets and AOTC helmet (I don't know for the ROTS helmet), it seems that this detail is a part of the casting (thus made out of fiberglass) and appears to be less detailed.

The right notch

rightnotch.jpg

Sorry for the poor assembly of the pictures. It will not be easy to see on these, but I noticed that some helmelt (again, mainly ANH and ROTJ) have a right notch very pronounced.

Sharp and less sharp

Why I had a theory of an ANH lineage and ESB lineage? (which is stupid since ESB helmets were copied from ANH helmets if new suits were indeed made)

prissyandprissiersta.jpg

If you make a comparison between K3PO and C3PO, you can notice that the helmets aren't similar. To me, the K3PO is way more sharp. Especially the "notches" on the "arch" around the head (sorry, I don't know the exact word to name this part) and all the sharp lines of the helmet.
Look at the notches of the K3PO helmet, and his neck bolt.... isn't it a gold color that we can distinguish??? Re painted ANH helmet???

The position of the face

faceposition.jpg

Some helmets looks to have the face plate way more advanced.

Moreover it seems to be slid inside the back part, where other helmet looks to have the face which stops in front of the arc (as put above).

The assembly

fixationr.jpg

The AOTC and ROTS faceplate have a notch on the exgrowth just behind the antenna ring fixation. It doesn't appear on the ANH faceplate (black and white shot).

The exgrowth of the prelogy helmet appear to be not aligned with the rest of the faceplate (just lie many actual replicas).
But on the ANH helmet, it seems to be the continuity of the faceplate (but it's hard to see with this only poor quality picture).

I don't know if I'm really clear in what I try to explain and show (sorry, english isn't my usual language) thus all my apologies for the headache.

Last edited:
I can't tell you what parts exactly, but many of the 3P0 and R2 pieces were custom built by John Michell of J.A. Michell Engineering for Star Wars. I do know for sure 3P0's eyes were part of that group.

When ESB came around many of his existing turntable parts were used but nothing was custom created by Michell Engineering.

I love this thread. I have been studying the same details for ANH for some time and have come to similar conclusions. The last posted pic by jaredFett is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. Wish it was larger. The middle item in the photo must be a jig of some kind to set the 'grids' into the rings?

And just a sidenote about the neckbolts... note that the ANH head have them set quite vertical (more or less parallel to each other), regardless of the contouring of the head; whereas all other incarnations have the neckbolts set at the same angle as the head in that spot, NOT parallel to each other.

Ghost Host... I wish I had an answer for ya about the jig. This machining stuff is a bit out of my pay grade. The owner was just nice enough to send me the pic, and said I could share it as long as the copyright was intact.

Just a point of interest, Brian Muir once told me that after Liz Moore did the work on C3PO and left the production, one of the things Brian did was add the "ring of slots" around the head. There were other things too he added, so to me it isn't just that he sharpened up Liz' work but he also added his own creative elements...

You can also tell a good early casting because the "slot ears" should have sharp corners, not angled edges like you see on later castings. K3PO has that kind of detail...

C3POrightslotcorners.jpg

More about the detailed back part!

I thought that removable version (and more detailled) was only on ANH and ROTJ helmets, but according to video posted by MoviePropCollector (http://www.therpf.com/f45/comic-con-c3po-presentation-propstores-stephen-lane-122289/) this ESB helmet also have it!!!

Here's a screen capture:

3pod.jpg

I still think that new cast were made for ESB, and some re used from ANH. But now with all these differents details, it's hard to say if there is a specific style for each movies (like the different stormtrooper helmet).

Just a point of interest, Brian Muir once told me that after Liz Moore did the work on C3PO and left the production, one of the things Brian did was add the "ring of slots" around the head. There were other things too he added, so to me it isn't just that he sharpened up Liz' work but he also added his own creative elements...

There are some pics of her out there wearing the costume.

Here is a pic of the various steps in machining the orig C3PO eyes.

Hope it helps someone :)

C-3POparts.jpg

I'd be interested to know the background of this pic. The eye looks like the style that was sold by Elstree Props back in the day. It doesn't seem to match that other famous eye part pic that has been floating around. Curious.

I love this thread. I have been studying the same details for ANH for some time and have come to similar conclusions. The last posted pic by jaredFett is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. Wish it was larger. The middle item in the photo must be a jig of some kind to set the 'grids' into the rings?

I'm pretty sure this is an eye halfway through the machining process. Most of the current eye makers on the boards make it correct to the original as far a the basic machining and assembly 'style'. Most are off with regards to dimensions.

As far as the other pic of just the grids with the outer circle (with the blue background), I don't know what to make of it. I wonder if the parts are metal or if they were resin. I wish the other owner of that lot (there were other parts along with the eye grills) was around as there are a ton of questions about each piece I'd like to get answered.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know the background of this pic. The eye looks like the style that was sold by Elstree Props back in the day. It doesn't seem to match that other famous eye part pic that has been floating around. Curious.

I recall seeing this picture 5 to 7 years ago. There was an auction on ebay listed by Elstree for a C-3PO. I saved the pictures at the time because I was thinking about bidding. The auction emphasized that the eyes were accurate and either exactly like the film version or very similar, I can't recall.

Alrighty then. As I already said, I'm not much of a 3PO guy, but I'll give the details of the pic as best as I know them.

So, I was constantly on ebay looking for the right Michell Sweep Arm for my Fett WIP... and the few times that they popped up I kept getting sniped at the last minute and for way too much $$... So, I said 'screw it' and called the U.S. distributor for Michell Engineering.

Dave was running the place. Luckily, he had one NOS swing arm left, and I bought it... he asked what model turntable I owned, and that's when we got to talking about SW. He mentioned that he had gone to the UK and visited the Jean (John, or Jon...idk) Michell while he was working on SW. JM gave him these as a gift.

If I'm correct, the item to the far left is the original Michell knob, then the knob in brass next to it... then the machining stages. He had a full set of wired eyes, but gave one to an old friend.

That's all I know about it... and the info is from the source of the pic. Hope it helps. :)

Interesting story. I would say, based on what I can see, that the eye is an ESB unit. I'm wondering if they did the original ANH eye as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back