X-Men First Class Magneto Helmet Build **Casting Has Begun**

JBReplicas

Sr Member
Here I will document the progress on my 'X-Men First Class' Magneto Helmet, I started off with one of those cheap classic Iron Man helmets that pop up on eBay from time to time, once I'd chopped off all the bits I didn't need I set about building up the basic shape with cardboard, I then used a thin layer of filler on top of that to get it to where it is in the first picture, I roughly sketched on the pattern for the raised area around the face and bottom of the helmet and then carefully applied 2mm styrene strips to mark out the over all shape, I then went back and started filling inside these strips to build up the next layer, I am currently refining the details, at the moment its very much sand/fill/sand/fill but Its starting to take shape. I welcome any and all comments :thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: X-Men First Class Magneto Helmet Build

I mentioned this in another X:FC Magneto WIP helmet thread, as I believe the apex/tip show follow the bridge fo the nose and turn outward, not just straight down as most are tending to do. It's slight but it's there.

yes if you see I have added filler to that section to do just that, this is still in its very early stages :thumbsup

ha ha yes its all pretty rough right now, just getting the basic shapes done at the moment

A small update as rain is preventing me from heading outside to do any major sanding, I have begun adding the bevelled detail around the face area, again its quite rough but a step in the right direction, enjoy :thumbsup

Thanks, I have just given the helmet a light coat of primer, this is to help me pick out any rough areas that need attention and there are a few :lol Bare in mind I still need to sharpen out a lot of the edges for example the 2 'cheek' edges at the bottom, appreciate all comments :thumbsup

Very nice so far.

With all the new clips, trailers and TV spots circulating, you can really tell they form fitted the back of the helmet to Michael Fassbender.

Sweet! coming along really well Joe.. keep it up! :thumbsup
As you've said, some refining and I think your shaping up to a good lid there.

You are really capturing the spirit of the movie sculpt.

Here's a comp that matches up angles pretty nicely.

attachment.php

Only a few little thing here and there really. I wish there was a better side view of the helmet in the promotion images that are available. Mostly just straight on views which can be deceiving form-wise.

Actually, the bottom edge needs to flair out a bit. Yours looks like the sides pretty much go straight down.

Nick

Last edited:

Really liking the look of it...great work so far!! Can't wait to see more.

thanks for the comparison picture that will really help, I need to work on the flare at the base of the helmet, also the forhead 'spike' details need to be a little longer and angle out more. I'll be back working on these issues in the next few days

Can't wait to see the final product. I hope you plan on casting and selling these. As I may very well want one. :D

Just came back from the premiere and I've gotta say, the helmet looks alot more bigger from the frontal view than it does on its sides.

Joe, you've done an inredible job! I agree with the flare in the lower parts of the helmet but I'm quite sad to see in the movie itself that its abit short on the sides and back :(

I don't know whether that helps but I do hope you add abit of your artistic twist to it to make it more proportionate than the actual one in the movie which in my opinion, is rather flattering only when viewed from the front, not anywhere else.

Do keep up the good work! :)

Here's the only side view shot so far-

imagecjj.jpg

It does start to look very different when when the head is turned. It fits really close to his face.

I also think Michael Fassbender has a bigger head than Kevin Bacon.

scaled.php

The back edge comes up quite high on the back of the head-

magneto-helmet_-x-men-first-class-_-wip-magneto-helmet-back.jpg-52097d1304278411

Nick

But you're assuming the red verision is the exact same mold and design. This is the only shot we have to go by on the back. In a day or so, we'll know for sure if they are similiar if not the same helmet. ;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back