Project sealab

Maybe it's time for a grass roots injection molded project. I think that 13K in pre-orders was basically studio scale folks. I'm starting to think this could be done amongst some members of this community.

How about a different take on production? Don't know about the entire kit, but I have been thinking of producing 3D mesh (STL format) files at least of the railings, then 3D printing them at the correct scale for my 1/350 scale and Cooper blockade runner. (and full size for anyone so interested) If I can get decent pictures with subtle indicators of the size of the actual parts, I'm pretty sure I can draw up the railings, and a couple of the more important detail parts for use as studio scale model greeblies.

Not sure if a complete Studio Scale Y-Wing Sealab List made it into the equation, but here's what Y-Wing builders are looking for:

Part 27, Part 28/78, Part 33/34, Part 37 (viewport cover), Parts 70/71 (gas hose storage racks), Part 67 (Side braces), Parts 61/A (Ballast Tank 3 Upper/Lower), Part 43 and 44 of Part #59 to make up the rear ventral controls.

If one of you Y-Wing people has a Sealab I'd like to buy non-Y parts off of you, if it helps defray costs.

Well, that streamlines the process. I downloaded the files, converted part 67 to an stl and printed it with a .35mm nozzle. (I'm a Blockade Runner fan, which is why I chose this part). I'd switch to a .25mm nozzle for anything I'd actually put on a model.

IMG_1885.JPG
What does the community think? I know its not the original kit part, so its not applicable to those type of builds, but for the rest of us, its easier than scratchbuilding these pieces.

Holy Computer Magic, Batman! This means it may be possible, sometime in the future, to print a 1/48 scale "Aurora" Sealab... gulp!

R/ Robert

Okay, sounds like there is some interest. *smile*. What are the present needs? Not taking orders at the minute, just trying to gauge the demand. In my case I want parts scaled appropriately for the Blockade Runner in 1/287 & 1/350 scales. From this thread, I know Sealab parts appear on all kinds of Studio Scale projects. I would like to know how many of those projects are active, or for want of these parts, that project is stalled.

In my case, I had started a Blockade Runner scratch build, and had researched "home" photo-etch and desktop laser CNC to produce these parts. Then my income & savings improvements and 3D printer price decreases reached a happy meeting point. Don't be shy, if you just have interest in 1sie-2sies, that is still good.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back