~Iron Man~ My Iron Man Suit Cardboard * First Timer*

Iron Man

:sleep Hey guyz im new here and im totally blown away with everyones creativity :love i hope my Iron Man suit I just started turns out as Amazeball$ as all yours have turned out :love I have looked at almost all the Iron Man threads just to get an idea of what i want to do, the thing is im not going to pep anything since I dont know how to do it LoL and I will be using Cardboard. Im just looking at Iron Man Movie posters and Concept art to get an idea and then free draw each piece :p

I have a question, I have made my Iron Man "shoes" and need advice :unsure I have seen many of you use fiberglass !! but do you use just the fiberglass resin on the outer area or do you use the fiberglass resin and mat ? I plan on using the mat on the inside of the shoes but what do you guyz recommend :confused

:) I will be posting updates on this post as long as it lets me, that way you guys can always find the pics and follow my progress :p

1st pic; is what im going to use
2nd pic; the things on the floor will be place in the circular spots
3rd pic; the shoes
IMG_2078-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IRONMANSHOES.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ~Iron Man~ My Iron Man Suit * First Timer :)

Welcome

and you got it right..

I usually start with a layer of resin on the outside just to make my paper a little harder and so it will keep the correct shape.

after that's hardened I fiberglass + resin the inside this will give the model it's strenght.

It's good that you started with a shoe. I myself started with the helmet and it only made me pep a new one which is loss of time and materials

Shoes are easy to pep and less detaisl, good to start with that to see how Fiberglassing and Resining works. especially since you are a first timer.

totally with leander when i was peping out my helmets i literally went thru about 5 till i got one that half way fit it was either to big or to small but i got the last one rite but in the fiberglassing the face plate got warped a little it wont close correctly but i carried on and i am bout 3/4 the way done peping i got almost the whole uper body fiberglassed and i am almost done peping the bottom half just form looking at them shoes you got some mad skills man keep it up

I recommend starting over with Pepakura if you ploan on using that fiberglass mat on the inside.

NOTE TO SELF : wear gloves when fiberglassing :$ its hard as (BEEP) to take off :sleep

yeah paint thinner or something like that helps..
usually get the the resin off with paint thinner before it dries.

Ok guyz i did one coat of resin on the outside and inside then when it dried i did a layer of fiberglass matting...so my question is, do i need another layer of matting on the inside? :unsure

It just depends, does it seem strong enough?, are you wearing these pieces or are you gonna mold them? If your molding them you don't have to worry as much on strength. Good luck

O thank you !!! im wearing it. its strong enough but i might add another layer of fiberglass resin at the bottom before applying the body filler:)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back