Firefly - 1:6 scale Mal Reynolds sculpt

Hello NoHumorMan,
I was just wondering if you were still considering finishing this project ? If so, how much would you be interested in selling this item for? thanks, omallie970
Well, there's a 100% guarantee that I'll finish it. However I would not feel comfortable selling it - unless you can do a pick-up of the item - as it is way, way too fragile to risk shipment, but I appreciate the interest.

Been working on checking out the sculpt throughout the day. It's strong enough... however, the surface has cracks in it and I fear that pieces may break off. Spent a lot of time trying to fix things, but he stands on his own without breaking, though he needs something to lean up against. As soon as I've attached the head and sculpted the neck to match and attached his right arm, I'll see how it looks and may snap off a few pictures to show you guys.

Had some thoughts about the paint job and am at a stand-still between white marble effect or regular paint-job. I really think the white statue look would suit this kit, as I fully intend to buy a kit of the next guy who sculpts a cool looking Mal and paint that regularly, or I'd just have to eventually have to sculpt a new one. I'm not going for pristine statue look, but more run-down in a way, but not as clay-like and rough as the Jayne Cobb statue from the series, which I'm still thinking about whether I should do - just too many projects already started and too many planned.

Someone over at The Clubhouse is planning to possibly sculpt several Firefly kits - already working on a Serenity fight-pose River. There also was this other guy doing a Mal... but I haven't heard anything about it since... anyone got word on that???

But... for the point of this post: I hope to be showing some new pictures soon. :cheers

...but not as clay-like and rough as the Jayne Cobb statue from the series, which I'm still thinking about whether I should do...
A "Hero of Canton" sculpt of the Jayne Cobb statue from the Jaynestown episode is a great idea (especially for a resin kit--hint, hint)! If I had any sculpting talent or skills I'd do one myself.

Looking forward to seeing those photos of your Mal sculpt. Seeing your posts about your Mal sculpt on The Clubhouse way-back-when and your references to this site is what led me here in the first place. :cheers

Last edited:
Not my idea... was someone else here on the forum, can't remember who, though. But yes, great idea and has good reference... I just don't seem to have the time... anyone who does should just do it! :thumbsup

Cool... didn't know that. :cheers

Will post as soon pictures as I can.

Think it's the first time I've shown it "put" together.

MalReynolds-20-002.jpg

Thanks. Hope to have it finished by the end of the week... just have to get some energy to start working. I'm so close now.

Any thoughts on the paintjob. Should I go regular or marble statue look? The first will probably take a long time to complete, whereas the latter would be quickly done and could look stylish.

Just wish someone would do a full figure kit that is spot on that I could then buy and paint regular. Just can't imagine why no one has done one. I've gotten enough interest with this one to convince anyone thinking about it that it's not a dud to do.

Are people still looking for head sculpt casts, as I think I may have found an alternative, since I won't be able to cast up mine or make the necessary corrections to make it perfect?

Well, personally I cannot vouch for this guy as I have not dealt with him, but plan to later. He's a bit hit'an'miss with the likenesses but some are pretty good. He's $5 cheaper on eBay, iirc.

http://www.wantedactionfigure.com/productShow.asp?id=89

Again... I'm just offering options, since I won't offer a sculpt of mine, and if I find others and better I may post them here as well, to help people out getting a good likeness.

Last edited:
That wantedactionfigure.com likeness is pretty far off in my opinion. If I didn't know it was supposed to be Nathan, I wouldn't even be able to guess, even the painted one...

That wantedactionfigure.com likeness is pretty far off in my opinion. If I didn't know it was supposed to be Nathan, I wouldn't even be able to guess, even the painted one...
I think the slight side-views are fairly okay. Something's off about the chin though, throwing off the likeness a bit, but that can be changed. I never look at the painted pictures to determine likeness as we all know that a less than perfect paintjob will always detract from the sculpt.

Well I don't think it's that bad, but NoHumorMan's was much better.
Thanks man, much appreciated. Just wish I had the energy to start another, and better... but I'm already swamped with other projects and struggling with other face sculpts that just never want to do what I want. I'm beginning to think I just got lucky on the first go... a pleasant fluke.

Well, damage can spur a new revival of interest in perfecting something you thought you were over and done with. His right arm came loose and took a fall to the floor, snapping off 4 out of 5 fingers. Decided to resculpt those, as I couldn't find the finger pieces - probably hiding under my rack, so impossible to get to.

Dug holes into the sculpey and pried curled wire down into the holes and have begun securing them and I'll probably try and bake them firm before sculpting the new fingers. Figured I would lengthen the thumb as well, as it was too short.

For the main figure, I'm going to drill some grooves under the shoes, so it'll stick better with the new sculpey I'm gonna apply there to lengthen the foot part of the boots, as they are too short and then sculpt it out into a base, so the two will be merged and unremovable.

It is not going to be a representation of the man himself, but rather end up looking like a statue made of him, so the mistakes and damage will be part of the new look of a bronze statue kind of thing that's been standing out in the weather for a spell.

I really hope to have an update of this soon and the plaque with the gun I made will fit this idea nicely to be put on the base.

Finally I'm seeing some way to finish it and eventually have it displayed.

The repair work is taking shape. Am a little over 3 hours into the fixing of the hand... and I can tell you... twisting wire into tiny sockets and add sculpey to make them stick is **** right tough and frustrating all the same.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back