Firefly - 1:6 scale Mal Reynolds sculpt

Realized, after having re-watched the Firefly pilot that I had made his hair a bit too short... so I added more hair at his brow... looks much better now. Will maybe work a little more on the head later, if my writing partner doesn't show up.

Concerning the body... well... it won't be finished this weekend... even though very little is needed to finish it... it's some very annoying details that has to be really accurate, such as the brass clasps on his coat.

Almost finished with his hand and the cuffs on the coat - realized I will need to add a little material to the arm to make the angle a little less... hmm... sharp... oh... I mean, more realistic and accurate to how a person holds his arm in that position... I made it too close to the body. That will have to be fixed... and won't require much work. Once these details have been finished I will start working on the boots... the gorramn boots... am not looking forward to that... :unsure

Why didn't anyone tell me an ear was so difficult to sculpt? Definitely not looking forward to doing the ear on the other side... not only does it have to look like an ear... it also has to match the one I already did... oh man... all the tough stuff is what's left now... :cry

If only I could get my hand to stop shaking so I can speed up the work I'm doing... impossible to work on fine details when I can't keep my hand steady. :unsure

Something HAS to be finished by the end of this week... otherwise I'd go insane... :rolleyes

Steady...steady... :) hehe small scale sculpting is tough. I'm working on a small statue so I know the feeling. Good job on that hand/belt.

WOAW... cool tutorial... very impressive. That will certainly come in handy in the future... though, what I can use now is: the key is patience. :thumbsup

Think I'll take a break from the figure today... to get some distance on it... and then go back to work again with renewed interest. Those brass buckless are really tough to do... but... I will adapt and overcome... figure it out.

Boots... hmm... grr. :lol

Need feedback concerning his hair... am I going in the right direction - does it look okay? I am now in the process of doing his left side (right in the pictures) and feel it needs a little more lenght to make it look better - I'm going for the Firefly pilot look, where his hair was slightly longish, a bit more uncombed and wind-blown, if you know what I mean, compared to the shorter, more well-kept hairstyle of the movie and the rest of the series.

This is the style I'm going for:
nathan.jpg

Now... am I close or getting there? I need serious feedback here... as I'm a bit stalled:

And this is the look I'll try to recreate if I ever get to do the movie version:
fillion2.jpg

Does the bottom of his face/back of his jaw need to be wider/squarer?

Other than that I can start to 'see' Fillion in there - Bloody good work.

SAS

<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Oct 13 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1337361[/snapback]</div>
Does the bottom of his face/back of his jaw need to be wider/squarer?
[/b]
Well spotted... I will work on that as soon as the hair is finished, as I wouldn't wanna risk accidentally mushing it with my fingers, since there is so little to actually hold on to while working on the face and hair.

Though, actually... it doesn't need all that much widening, as the pictures suffer from extreme distortion, due to the nature and the closeness to the object when the pictures were taken - unfortunately my digital camera won't take good enough pictures of something so small, so I'm using my soddy webcam... and place it really close to the head sculpt, so you really don't get to see, accurately, the shape of the head, but only the details of the face - if that makes sense.

I believe it's called barrel distortion...

<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Oct 13 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1337361[/snapback]</div>
Other than that I can start to 'see' Fillion in there - Bloody good work.
SAS
[/b]
Cool... really appreaciate that... I've been constantly afraid that I wasn't good enough at capturing his likeness...

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Oct 11 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1336165[/snapback]</div>
Now... am I close or getting there? I need serious feedback here... as I'm a bit stalled:
[/b]

I've been following your progress pretty much since you began this project.

I'll be honest with you, when you first started posting pictures of your progress I was like...wtf.. :confused
Now I feel so guilty about what I thought at the early stages.

I really think your going to pull this one off.. :thumbsup
The likeness is getting stronger and easier to see every time you work on it.
The hand on the belt has pulled it together for me, its helped me visualise your end result.
If you keep going as you are now, your going to produce a great model. :D

I look forward to your updates and apologise for having little faith.

Top work :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(Rebo @ Oct 13 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]1337401[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Oct 11 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1336165[/snapback]
[/b]
I've been following your progress pretty much since you began this project.
I'll be honest with you, when you first started posting pictures of your progress I was like...wtf.. :confused
Now I feel so guilty about what I thought at the early stages.
I really think your going to pull this one off.. :thumbsup
The likeness is getting stronger and easier to see every time you work on it.
The hand on the belt has pulled it together for me, its helped me visualise your end result.
If you keep going as you are now, your going to produce a great model. :D
I look forward to your updates and apologise for having little faith.
Top work :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
[/b][/quote]
Well, thank you very much. :)

Yes... the initial pictures were of a little... hmm... underwhelming nature... though... I thought it could be fun to show every single step... and set-back... and step forward. I'm glad you hung in there and kept viewing and I really appreciate your opinion... and glad you think it's gonna be cool. :thumbsup

Don't feel guilty about your initial thoughts... I'm just glad I was able to turn you around from "wtf" to "top work"... that means a lot. :)

Was able to get some decent shots with my digital camera... just had to figure out the settings, I guess... though... battery died... so... enjoy.

I made the pictures in b&w in paintshop pro, as I really thought the colors were too distracting. I can post the color version if people want to see that too.

Let me know what you think. Now is REALLY the time for constructive critique about what needs changing, etc... as I'm very soon going to bake it, thus making stuff impossible to change. (I have to do something about the right eyebrow (left in the picture), before baking. :thumbsup

Looks really great. I'm no sculptor, but it looks like you might want to relax his eyebrows just a little. They look just a tad too squared away compared to the rest of his face.

Once again, Great work.

Yeah... I agree... the eyebrows needs redoing... and they are REALLY hard to do... and I really wanna do them as good as this guy's doing them on his face sculpts: KOJUN - Tutorial

The guy is REALLY talented... man... I got a long way to go before I can even call myself half as good... :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(AlltoEasy @ Oct 15 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]1338439[/snapback]</div>
im not sure how i missed this thread, but nice work dude.

Dan
[/b]
Thanks.

Well... concerning the face. I really think the side shots really looks like Nathan Fillion, but I'm not so sure about the front shot looking like him... but again... that's really odd, 'cause when looking at the face from slightly above... and there's Nathan again... really, really weird... :eek He's there in all other angles than straight on at it's driving me insane trying to figure out how to fix it.

Maybe it'll help if I pulled the hair a bit more to the side, so he'd show more brow... and possibly also trim it a little... I dunno... really tough decicions... also because what I did to the neck yesterday has removed any possibility of me really handling the head... rats... I knew I should have waited until the rest was done before doing that... but what can I say: I'm an impatient bugger sometimes. :p

I'll see what I can come up with, though. I'm confident that the face will be finished soon... YAY. :lol

Well... re-did the hair... again, as I really thought it didn't look like the character... made it more like the movie version... I think it's better now... will have pics up soon. Still don't know how to fix his face... 'cause when looking at it IRL it looks good... but not as good in pictures. Don't know why. :unsure

Once it has been figured out... I will work on his neck, bake him and start reading up on how to make molds. Yeah... that'll be exciting. Have already checked several sites, including Dan Perez' tutorial... got it saved... just hope I can figure it out... :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back