Firefly - 1:6 scale Mal Reynolds sculpt

Beginnings of an arm... oh man... what a killer... took all day to get to this look... and still far from finished with shaping it... (well, I slept for most of the day, so this is about 2 hours of work.) :lol

Going through the colors of the Super Sculpey 30 color sample pack fast... and now's the time for some pink... LOL. Oh well... worked some on the length of the coat... looking good imo. There's some severe undercut under the coat, which will have to be filled out somewhat to ease molding and casting (if I come to that). Also worked on the hit mark on his left arm... which I had completely forgot about doing before I baked him last time... whoops... but I think I managed. Still not finished with that part yet... but I really think that it is beginning to shape up, over all, and become the figure I really want it to be.

Have decided to have him hold the gun with his right hand and then have his left hand clutch the belt. The gun is still something I am holding off with for the time being, as it is somewhat of a challange how to approach it.

Hope to have more updates on the head sculpt soon... but until then... here's two pics of the current progress:

This is going to be really cool.. That's a gift, being able to sculpt. Man, I'd be satisfied w/ just a 1/6th Mal head... Put it on a bbi G-3 body, know alot of folks who could make the clothing... B)

-Rex

Cool. I was somewhat thinking that posting pictures and updates with every little step was annoying to people... but glad to hear that it's appreciated. :)

Looking forward to finishing this, so I can prime him to see where more work is needed, as it is a pain to really distinguish anything, especially minute details, with all those weird colors everywhere... hehe...

Hopefully I'll get to do the back of the coat today and also work a little on the face - been too long since I worked on that one... hmm...

As this is my first sculpt ever... I think I'm doing pretty good... (self-praise) :rolleyes Just hope it'll turn out as cool as the image of it in my head...

Very nice, just a thought though. Having him holding the gun is going to be really hard. You might want to have him just resting his right hand on the butt of the gun in the holster or something. At that scale a sculped gun is going to be pretty breakable

just a thought, i love it though. Screams for resin

dan

Hmm... too late... that option is no longer available, as I just sculpted the back and sides of the coat... and baked him... so, the only way to show the gun would be for him to hold it or to have it be on a small stand in front of him on the base. Those are basically the two options available.

Though... a possibility could be to cast his right hand and pistol in metal... though, that seems a heck of a lot more difficult than casting resin pieces... and would require a different kind of mold. Any info to be shared on this?

LOL. A face is easy... a likeness is an absolute killer... a huge amount of respect to all who are able to sculpt likenesses in any scale, especially in small scale. :thumbsup

Thought a comparison pic could be interesting. :)

The right side (on the picture) is really what I have worked on the most... and the nose... need to do something about the lips, left eye and the chin... but... I'm getting there. :)

Looks fantastic. That's a real nice pose you've got, and frankly the likeness isn't half bad either. :D The step-by-step IS quite interesting, I'll tell you that.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)

Been busy setting up my new computer, so I haven't done much... but hopefully I will get some done on the figure tomorrow. Not much more is needed on the main part of the body, except for minor details and the last part of the coat. Then I need to do his right arm, both hands, belt, 2 pair of boots and 2 pistols... and maybe a Firefly and Serenity plaque to put on the base or something. Hopefully I will be able to show some cool progress shots soon... and maybe a primed main body, as soon as all the details are finished - so it'll be possible to see how the figure looks without all those annoying and distracting colors. :lol

Well... time to go to bed... so cheers and have fun. :thumbsup

EDIT: Rats... should have done THIS pose. :cry
outlaw-view-thumb.jpg

I'm feeling generous today... :p

Worked some more on the coat... almost finished... burned it a bit... but hopefully that won't show up when it's primed, otherwise I'd just have to sand it a bit... still lots of cracks... hopefully no more will appear... will have to fill those, once it's been baked for the last time.

Also worked on the face... it's looking a bit better, imo... added a little half-smile into the sculpt... or whatever you wanna call it. Will do the last few tweaks and then it's soon time to bake it - so I won't ruin it when adding ears and hair. Any suggestions at this point or constructive criticism is welcome - but I must apologize for the crappy webcam pictures... as my digital camera unfortunale don't photograph the small face very well. :cry

Have buffed up the cheeks a little as the face was too slim and have also begun adding hair. Will probably have an update within a few days.

Will also hopefully finish the torso and upper legs by this weekend, have him baked for the last time and have the cracks filled and then ultimately have the whole thing primed, before beginning work on the boots and right arm.

I should probably have sticked to the plan of making the lower part and the back of the coat a separate piece, but I was unfortunately not skilled or patient enough to go through with that, so the sculpt suffers a little from that in order to ease molding and casting, if I ever come to that. There's still so much I need to learn.

Latest update:

Working on the last remaining stuff on the body sculpt. Hopefully I'll finish it completely with all details by tomorrow - crossing fingers.

And here is the first view of the head with some hair... :)

Found out that even though I added some bulk to the face, I had done the jaw at the wrong angle... that will have to be reshaped.

Enjoy

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back