Doctor Who clockwork droid mask

Risu

Master Member
I'm going to a masquerade party soon, the only requirement is a mask, so I decided to make a clockwork droid mask from The Girl in the Fireplace. I'm hoping somebody can recommend a good base mask that's fairly close in shape because I've never really attempted sculpting before. The two choices that would be easiest for me to get my hands on would be the generic opera masks from Michael's or the $5 V for Vendetta mask. Also, any photo reference of an original (male) mask or an MFX would be most appreciated.

Bumping. Has anybody ever made one of these or bought the MFX version? If so, care to share your thoughts, techniques, or some photos?

Actually I have a few risu they are 2 part plastic I finally finished one today I will post pics in a bit either here or on my FB

EDIT:
Picture added

Last edited:
I admire your sculpting it from scratch, I could never do that. I'm hoping to get my lines a bit cleaner though. I did a test paint of the V for Vendetta mask with Perfetto crackle and it turned out somewhat mediocre. I'll eventually get around to sculpting the mask into the correct shape, it's a pretty close start as it is, not a whole lot has to be changed to make it pretty accurate. Mostly filling in the laugh wrinkles and making the nose pointier.

I'm also trying to make a droid mask, though I haven't picked up the project in a while. My sculpting talents are also not up for the task. I'd love to hear how other people did theirs.

5964211861_63a4dec1cf_z.jpg

5964211863_8653b0e7ba_z.jpg

Could you give a couple dimensions of the mask? That would be super helpful. Maybe the distance from the top to chin, the width, and the distance from chin to nose tip.

I second that, some basic measurements would be great to know how well the V mask matches up. It fits my face perfectly, so I won't change the scale (that would be really difficult to do anyhow) but it would be nice to know.

A straight on shot would be very nice. And if we're not hassling you too much, a profile would be very helpful as well.

Hi Risu,
Sorry, have just read this thread. I had a go a year or two ago at coverting a 'V' mask. Didn't turn out too badly, it's actually a really good starting point in terms of shape. Although one of my current projects is sculpting one from scratch (until one turns up on ebay, fingers crossed!).
Have included the the in progress pics if they're of any help. Also, deco-art do a one step crackle medium that I have found to work really well. It's a top coat that crackles acrylic paint underneath - no need for messing around with under and overcoating. Hope this helps.
Rich

View attachment 63863 View attachment 63864 View attachment 63865 View attachment 63866 View attachment 63867

any more details on that art deco paint for the crackle effect? I am going to try making a leather upper half version of these masks. no mouth just going to stop at the cheeks and the nose.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back