1/72 Black Pearl kit from Zvezda

division 6

Master Member
Listed on the Zvezda site with pix of the model.
Doesn't appear to be out yet at least not on the 4 sites I looked at.

The Russian version of the page has the instructions on it.

That is actually the Chicken of the Sea / Capt Hook Ship that used to be at Disneyland but the fan tail art has a skull like the one at Disney France.

I plan to convert the model to the LA version with the mermaid fore and aft.

Revell of Germany has the same kit at twice the price.
I bought it thinking it was the variant of the Golden Hind, once I got it I realized I could have picked up the same model at Michaels for $12.
i did pick up a few ow the cheaper ones for $4 each from one of Squadrons sales.

Last edited:
Zvezda is doing a Dutchman, but I am not sure what the origin of the molds is. I believe they are going to do it in glow in the dark plastic as the box art shows it glowing with ripped up sails. It doesn't exactly look like the one from the film.

There are a couple Flying Dutchman models out there.
Lindberg puts one out and I've seen the one you are referring to.
It's probably an older model or molds from another company since it says newly tooled sails.
It also comes with glow in the dark paint like the RoG pirate ghost ship (over priced version of the Caribbean pirate ship in my earlier post), the Lindberg model is made from glow in the dark plastic.

Under their distributors tab, the site below is listed for the U.S.

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodmidh.asp?tlcode=ZVE

But the model is not showing yet.

By the way how large would the Pearl be in 1:72?

EDIT: A 1:75 scale kit of the HMS Surprise (from Master & Commander) is ablout 33" long, and it appears that a 1:72 scale HMS Victory is about 54" long. Do you suppose this kit is really three feet long or so?

Last edited by a moderator:
EXCELLENT!! Once someone finds out how to buy these, PLEASE POST!!! Been wanting these for a long time. Bought some existing pirate ships in hopes of modifying them for Pearl and Dutchman, but would just as soon buy these!

Thanks for posting!!!!

Also seriously interested in the scale question. This isn't going to be another dodgy scale slapped onto a quite small model, a la Fine Molds, is it? Fingers crossed...

The Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki site (take it for what it's worth) states the Black Pearl is 165' 2" in length. If that's correct, the kit should be just under 28" long.

according to the pirates.wiki the Black Pearl is 165 feet 2in
so a 1/72 scale ship should be 27.52 inches

oops... apparently zombie posted while I was doing me some figurin'

Last edited:
Also seriously interested in the scale question. This isn't going to be another dodgy scale slapped onto a quite small model, a la Fine Molds, is it? Fingers crossed...

The Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki site (take it for what it's worth) states the Black Pearl is 165' 2" in length. If that's correct, the kit should be just under 28" long.

28" is in line with what you'd expect from the better wooden ship model manufacturers.

But (reflecting Nwerke's comment), there is a Revell "Caribbean Pirate Ship" model kit, listed at 1:72, and the box says its 8 1/2 inches long! :confused

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/ships/85-0386.html

8.5 x 72 = 612 inches, or 51 feet.

28 x 72 = 2,016 inches, or 168 feet

I just took a look at the kit parts breakdown - the lower hull/side hull split is pretty low; if the kit was small they could have molded right up to the sterncastle in one piece.

This is promising, it shouts 'great big bits of plastic', to me!

Or maybe 'more than one kit'. Or both? :D

PHArchivist, the model you linked to is the same one I linked to earlier in the thread, it's the Disneyland ship that was removed in the early 80's.

Here are some pix of the Pearl at Nuremberg Toy Show taken back in Feb.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back