Star Destroyer #3

ringa

While at WonderFest this past weekend, I met some new and talented friends who had an amazing display of studio scale models they had built (links to photos elsewhere on this site). I had brought my star destroyer (in progress) to show my good friend Charles, who had seen the real deal just recently. He and my new friends were kind to invite me to display it with their pieces. I'm happy they did, as this allowed Lorne Peterson to see it, which is quite a dream-come-true for all of us, I'm sure.

I had posted my progress at Studio Scale Modelers, but was then invited to post here as well. So, here's what I have to show...

I actually started the bridge in 2008. I was determined to use as many original kit parts as I could find. After I built that much, it sat in a display case for a couple of years. Then earlier last summer I decided it was time to continue by creating patterns for the superstructure.

IMGP0210.jpg

I started detailing it with the few parts I had.

IMGP0219.jpg

Realizing that it would never get finished if I searched for every last part, I decided to be creative with kit bashing.

IMGP0216.jpg

I decided that since this is my 3rd SD build, I wanted it to be much more accurate. However, I want it to be so in proportions more than detailing. So I call it A star destroyer, not THE star destroyer.

IMGP0330.jpg

IMGP0342.jpg

So, I detailed the sides with whatever parts I had on hand.

IMGP0328.jpg

At one point, I set it next to one of my 3-footers for size comparison.

IMGP0376.jpg

IMGP0378.jpg

Seeing it like this makes me want to do this one right.

Then came the time to prime it.

IMGP0392.jpg

IMGP0395.jpg

IMGP0397.jpg

Then the white paint.

IMGP0409.jpg

IMGP0413.jpg

IMGP0410.jpg

IMGP0414.jpg

IMGP0420.jpg

Then the panel lines.

IMGP0429.jpg

IMGP0426.jpg

IMGP0427.jpg

Then it was off to WonderFest with it.

I still am waiting for the last few parts to complete this portion of the ship. Until then, I have begun planning for the hull patterns.

An interesting variation on a theme! Your wall detailing is more 'vertical' than the original, which is all lateral, but that's interesting as it gives the ship a slightly more sombre, grim look. Gives it a slight touch of the Nostromo texture.

I like this build a lot, and it was an honor to see it in person last weekend. It's clean and tight, has the correct proportions to my eye, and of course many of the signature original kit parts on the superstructure.

Glad you posted this here, Rick. Really looking forward to watching your progress.

An interesting variation on a theme! Your wall detailing is more 'vertical' than the original, which is all lateral, but that's interesting as it gives the ship a slightly more sombre, grim look. Gives it a slight touch of the Nostromo texture.

The way I've been explaining it is that it can be thought of as a ship of the same class as the Devistator––same fleet, different ship. However, I would like it to have enough of the look of the original so when observing it from across a room one wouldn't know that the details are different here and there until seen up close. I did go for more vertical orientation on the walls, as this is, to my eyes, more similar to the ANH version, whereas the details on the larger ESB model are mostly horizontal.

Ringa,

Very good work~! The proportion is perfect :thumbsup

Although mine is nearly done, I'm also planning to rebuild it because of wrong dimension.:cry

I know that you met Lorne for the Wonder fest and talked about ISD with him.
If you don't mind, can you explain why ANH ISD is called as 3 footer?

thanks Eric.

The way I've been explaining it is that it can be thought of as a ship of the same class as the Devistator––same fleet, different ship. However, I would like it to have enough of the look of the original so when observing it from across a room one wouldn't know that the details are different here and there until seen up close. I did go for more vertical orientation on the walls, as this is, to my eyes, more similar to the ANH version, whereas the details on the larger ESB model are mostly horizontal.

I agree, the ANH details are very vertical to me and as I already said you did an awesome job Rick !! Keep up the good work my friend :)

Julien,

Thanks for the compliments and support, my friend. I can say the same and much more about what you are doing. Just OUTSTANDING!!!

Eric,

I've seen pictures of your work, and you inspired me to build this third SD, and to do it right this time. I was VERY impressed with what you have done. I hope you can get it to a point where you are happy with the results. I understand how you feel, as that's why I have built multiple versions of this.

As for the ANH SD being referred to as the '3-footer,' I did ask Lorne about that. I told him that all the books and interviews call it the 3-footer, so I built my first two at 3 feet long only to find out later that the original is bigger. He said, "Well, you know the 8-footer is not really 8 feet either, it's quite a bit larger. It was just easier to say '3-footer' rather than 3-feet, six inches." (I think he threw that figure out as an example, and not to say that the original is actually 3-feet, six inches.) It's easy to summize that they never expected guys like us to try to replicate the original models as we do.

Last edited:
Yeah and for TESB they never called the ship the 8 Footer ISD and the Executor/Super Star Destroyer but the White Star Destroyer and the Blue STar Destroyer ! :lol That's funny :)

That's funny also because I never used the 8 feet as reference to draw the plan of my SD, but I found that the hull was really 8 feet long (actually 243 cm long, shorter than the 250 cm claimed in the Chronicles) using a production ortho pic of the actual model and using kitparts to size it up and I double check with other views. I hope I did no mistake, fortunatly enough the hull is not done yet !! :lol

With the superstructure nearly complete, I moved on to the hull panels. I was thinking to have these laser cut, but I've never done that before, plus I didn't want to wait. Instead I chose to do the old score and snap. It works very well, as you can see, only some minor clean up with the sand paper. Soon I should be ready to build the wood frame.

IMGP0515.jpg

IMGP0521.jpg

IMGP0523.jpg

That looks really good for being hand-cut. But, I wouldn't want to scribe it. . .

Fantastic job BTW! As good as it looks here, I know it looks even better in person. :)

Damn Rick she's coming together now. Your btave with score & snap on the acrylic but seems you have done a good job. Thers some very talented modelers watching this thread now & am sure your in good company. Keep it up buddy.

Very cool and beautiful build!

I love your details arrangement in this ship. In my opionion, it even looks better than the original SS model (perhaps because many photos of the original SS model are blurry :rolleyes). Did you totally follow suit the original SS model or have made some modifications to it in this build?

Very cool and beautiful build!

I love your details arrangement in this ship. In my opionion, it even looks better than the original SS model (perhaps because many photos of the original SS model are blurry :rolleyes). Did you totally follow suit the original SS model or have made some modifications to it in this build?

Thanks! as far as proportions, I'm trying to get as accurate as I can with the limitation of not being able to measure the original model in person. Like Jase, this is the result of countless hours of studying as many photos of the real model as I can find.

After studying still photos from every angle, I asked someone who saw the original in the museum to do a steady walk-around the model with a video camera (for which I am very grateful). Unlike stills, the video allows me to see changes in perspective while the camera POV is in motion. This way I can compare what I know about the model to calculate what I do not know. This was the best use of 2 dimensions I could think of when seeing it in 3 dimensions is not possible.

Details are a mix of original parts where I want them to be, and my own detailing where I feel it is less important to be accurate (though I still want it to look good).

I'm pretty sure at this point that I am going to mount it from the starboard side similar to the original.

Here are some progress pictures. It's starting to take shape. Of course, nothing is attached to the hull panels yet, I just wanted to see it all together. The guns are not going to be on the final model. I just threw them together to fill the space for now.

Thanks to our good friend Jason Wright I was able to acquire more original parts for the bridge! I was able to replace the lunar module landing gear parts on the side of the bridge with the correct Airfix parts. I completed the back with the original tooling Shinano parts, also located under each side of the bridge. There are only 2 parts left to complete the superstructure.

I started making detail parts for the top of the hull. The inner frames are in the works. Mounting is going to be addressed, which will affect how the frames will be built. Lots more to do. My first two destroyers were completed in 2 months each. This one has been going on (and off) for two and a half years. I want this to be far better than the first two, and I am pleased with the progress so far.

IMGP0554.jpg

IMGP0556.jpg

IMGP0558.jpg

IMGP0560.jpg

IMGP0562.jpg

Everything about this just screams, "Star Destroyer!" You've really nailed it, the shape, the details, everything.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back