Star Destroyer #3

Thanks everyone! Glad you like it!

Here's a photo of the hull primed before the white. It took 3 cans of primer and 3 cans of white to cover the entire bottom and the side trenches. After using the rattle cans, I had to airbrush those hard to reach places. I masked off the docking bay because it was already painted. I also masked of the areas where I am waiting on parts.

Bottom-Primed-2.jpg

Hey Kevin,

Actually, I don't finish the dome details yet and I'm not sure the exact dome.
However, I'm using the dome in AMT 1/25 Frauhauf Tanker for my ISD.

thanks Eric.

Thanks Eric. I hadn't even thought about the tanker dome.

Lee, I think the EMA and Plastruct catalogs share a good bit, including their domes. They even have nearly identical catalog numbers.

For example, Plastruct has a 3.5 inch elliptical dome, which is code number VHE-350VG, and EMA lists an equivalent 88.9mm elliptical head which is code number VHE-350. Both are made of gray ABS.

Thanks for the info, guys. It was suggested at Studio Scale Modelers that I try the AMT 1/25 Frauhauf Tanker. I'm happy to hear that Eric is using the same thing. From what I can see in the scans of the parts, I think it just might be what we need. I immediately bought one on ebay. However, I will look into the Plastruct and EMA domes as well.

Kevin, I'm glad you like that shot of the bottom enough to give it 3 "wows!" :) I found that the urge to skimp on details (because there are SO many of them) is great. I did my best to not rush through it. As I was applying every tedious, tiny piece, I had in my mind that I want it to photograph as close to the original as I can make it.

I thought it would be fun at this stage of construction to compare the bottoms of the original filming model (left) and mine (right)...

Bottoms-Compared.jpg

Last edited:
Now he's just showing off lol. Rick thats a great shot, such a fantastic homage.
Never thought about the Fruehauf.....but now i do, id go that route too, Eric has a great eye.

lee

Now he's just showing off lol. Rick thats a great shot, such a fantastic homage.
Never thought about the Fruehauf.....but now i do, id go that route too, Eric has a great eye.

lee

Thanks Lee! Actually, I've been making comparisons like this all along from different angles as a way of gauging my accuracy. I can never be exact, but I am looking to be close enough, especially for the model to photograph well.

Eric does have a good eye. I found out yesterday that the dome is not elliptical as I and others thought. It was actually thin styrene vacuuformed over an E.M.A. dish dome, then bent over the hull and trimmed. My thanks to Mr. L.P. for this info. I ordered a few of these domes today.

Last edited:
Ohhh so it is a Hemi....cool, right from Lorne eh?....he really does love the studio fans interest.

lee

He really does. I think he appreciates how much we appreciate him and the work that he and ILM did in those early days. After more than 3 decades people like us are as interested in his work as we were when Star Wars was first released. Not to mention the fact that he is just a top-of-the-line, all around great guy.

Wow. Those shots from the ANH opening angle - from the forward portside - just literally sent a shiver down my spine. What a work of art. Wow.

Wow. Those shots from the ANH opening angle - from the forward portside - just literally sent a shiver down my spine. What a work of art. Wow.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. I can hardly wait to have the top hull detailed and painted, because in those photos you can see the top hull in the side trench is still transparent.

I found out yesterday that the dome is not elliptical as I and others thought. It was actually thin styrene vacuuformed over an E.M.A. dish dome, the bent over the hull and trimmed. My thanks to Mr. L.P. for this info. I ordered a few of these domes today.

That's not unusual for those guys, actually. After much research, we decided that they most likely vacformed styrene over an EMA/Plastruct hemisphere in the process of building the master pattern for the TIE-Fighter cockpit ball.

Makes perfect sense. Not only would it be tricky to cut the dome to fit a "peak of a roof" hull, it would also be a royal PITA to scribe an acrylic dome! Styrene is so much easier to work with.

On the TIE, same goes -- just so much easier to modify and tweak a styrene pull.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back