Star Destroyer #3

Thanks guys!

I will make my final decision for the naming contest tomorrow. I'll leave this last day for anyone who might want to offer more options.

From this point the building process means any little thing takes a long time. I was able to finish detailing the docking bay frame, but what really takes a lot of time is the scribing of panel lines in the hull and raised structures. It's a long and tedious process. To do it right involves much patience.

I'll probably detail the top and bottom hulls before I do anything with the engine area since I don't have the three main engine shafts. I may have to scratch build them, but I want to try to find what was used first, or at least something close to it.

More photos to come once I have made significant progress.

i just want to say a big thank you to Rick for supporting the RPF, in particular the RPF's face book page.

Rick has kindly allowed me to ask our Face Book members to name this fantastic Scaled Model by way of a competition.

if you would like to take part in naming the Star Destroyer then please head to the RPF Face Book page and add your suggestion.

Rick has also kindly offered to choose the winner, he will announce this himself once he see's a name he finds best fit's this superb build of his.

Thanks again Rick for your support :thumbsup

After a week of considering the names put forth on FB, there was one that stood out among the rest. This ship will be called:

The ISD Decimator.

Hey Rick....

After watching your model, I forgot any compliment I can speak. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Your proportion is perfect and the docking bay's detail is unbelivable...
Rick,
Please can you share the size for your SD?

thanks Eric.

Last edited:
Hey Rick....

After watching your model, I forgot any compliment I can speak. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Your proportion is perfect and the docking bay's detail is unbelivable.

Thanks, Eric. I have to admit, because of the lack of good photos of the docking bay from certain angles, I studied pictures of yours to learn more about it. You set the standard, I was just trying to reach for that.

Email sent.

Thanks everyone!

Rick

Last edited:
This is one sweet build. Where do you guys get the info and parts to build these things in all different scales? I understand the studio scale kit but there are several different scales.
Just curious. Not that I could ever build one.

Kenny

This is one sweet build. Where do you guys get the info and parts to build these things in all different scales? I understand the studio scale kit but there are several different scales.
Just curious. Not that I could ever build one.

Kenny

Thanks everyone!

Kenny,

I'd say the driving force behind any build is desire. Behind that desire to build must be a desire to learn. I built my first destroyer with no scratch building experience because I thought I could do it after seeing closeup photos of the real thing. The second came to be because I learned so much from doing the first. Unlike my first 2 attempts at this ship, this third one is much more accurate to the model used in ANH in proportions and details (details where I want them to be).

No one can be 100% accurate with a star destroyer unless they had access to the original model to take exact measurements. So, I started by collecting as many reference photos of the model from every conceivable angle, taken by many people who have thoroughly documented the ship photographically, even videos of the model. The accuracy of this build is largely due to the people whose photos I've collected and placed in several albums and studied endlessly.

As an added bonus to my research, I and my friends at WonderFest had the unique opportunity to talk to Lorne Peterson extensively about this and other Star Wars model construction.

This is one of the hardest models to replicate accurately due to a few reasons; First, this model is all about angles upon angles...makes me feel like I should have paid more attention in geometry class. Second, what complicates those angles is that this model is not symmetrical and was made before computer guided laser cutting or 3D printing. Because of this, I want my replica to have the right look to it. So, this model is completely hand made, no laser cutting or 3D computer rendering, and no mockups. Third, there are a lot of fine details...layer upon layer of thin plastic shapes and chips, big and small and everything in between that will be noticed if left out or not done thoroughly. The list goes on.

After studying the photos extensively, I drew patterns for the superstructure, hull and the wood frame and all the scratch built details.

While fabricating parts out of plastic, wood and plexiglas, I began stocking up on model kits that had the parts bashed from them for detailing. This is the most expensive part of a replica, so I found ways to be cost effective. I've chosen areas of the ship where I want the details to be as accurate to the filming model as I can possibly get, while the other areas I detailed with whatever parts I had on hand from these and other kits I've used in the past.

Then there is painting. I've learned from experience what to use and what not to use. I've found that Tamiya paints, both spray and airbrush, work the best in color and smoothness.

As with any studio scale replica, you have to know the subject very, very well. This is vital in planning and execution. I'm happy with this build so far, but I had to build two of these to gain the experience and skills necessary to do it right this time. This model is made of wood, plexiglas, styrene, resin, glass and metal. It is put together with styrene glue, super glue, hot glue, silicone glue, epoxy, screws, bolts and other adhesives. It's big and it's heavy, so a sturdy stand and mount is necessary, as is a system for storage and travel.

A lot goes into a build like this, but when it's done, there's nothing like the satisfaction of completing a project, standing back and looking at it. And there's nothing more fun in this hobby than sharing the final piece with others.

Hope that answers your question (for a Star Destroyer at least).

Last edited:
WOW, that's a lot of time and effort. I could probably hammer out the basic structure but all the detail work would take me years, literally!!
I think I will just stick to admiring astonishing works of art like yours!!!!

Kenny

Thanks! It is a lot of work. Lorne told us that what we are doing is harder than what they had to do to create the originals. Part of the reason is that they had multiple model makers working on each ship at a time, whereas we are usually one person doing it all.

Currently I am detailing the entire bottom hull. I am very pleased with the progress so far. The panel lines are all scribed, most of the main structures are in place, it's just all the tiny details that have to be done before I can move on to the top of the hull, where I get to do all this again.

As much as I have done, there is much more to do. But, it will be worth it in the end.

It's been a long time since I've posted any new photos here of my progress. There's a good reason for that.

For the past few weeks I've been detailing the bottom of the hull. It is nearly done. Like the superstructure, there are just a few more pieces that I am waiting for to complete it. One of the pieces I've not been able to find is the elliptical dome. I need one that is 3.5" wide, or about 9 mm. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. There are still the patches of gray here and there to paint, but I want to take a break from the bottom for now.

Anyway, now I can move on to detailing the top of the hull. I only have to do the panel lines, the chips and the edges. It will take a long time, but should not take as long as the bottom did.

So, for the latest update, here is a before and after of the bottom.
It took weeks to turn this...

IMGP0624.jpg

Into this....

IMGP0804a.jpg

IMGP0822b.jpg

IMGP0823a.jpg

IMGP0824b.jpg

Until next time.

Last edited:
Awsome just plain awesome.

These threads always amaze me, speaking as someone who ends up throwing model kits across the room with frustration, I cannot envisage the work and patience that goes into these builds - I will forever be a lurker and never a builder sadly.

Rick,

For a while, I was thinking that I look at the picture of the SW Chronicles.
Great work~! Fantastic :thumbsup

thanks Eric.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back