Star Destroyer #3

Thanks for the compliments!

I knew this would look better painted. I began detailing the trim with the tiny part from the Bandai Panther G. Need 16 of them, but you only get one in the kit. I'm in the process of making 15 castings of it.

IMGP0714-1.jpg

IMGP0718.jpg

IMGP0719.jpg

Hey Rick

Did PM you, but you may have a full inbox? Anyhoo, did the brass channel get to you as yet?
If not, ill dig out the tracking number and check it my end.

bests.....lee

Hey Rick

Did PM you, but you may have a full inbox? Anyhoo, did the brass channel get to you as yet?
If not, ill dig out the tracking number and check it my end.

bests.....lee

Hi Lee. Haven't received them yet. Maybe today.
PM box must be full. I'll empty it out.

Thanks again!

Thanks Kevin.

I've been hard at work on the bottom structure details. I'm just taking my time, resisting my urge to rush. So I don't get overwhelmed by such a big model, I'm trying to look at every part of the ship (like the docking bay) as separate models that deserve equal attention. It will take longer to build, but it will be worth it in the end.

There are a lot of good names to choose from on FB. It is a difficult choice, but I will say there are some that are standing out. I plan to make the final choice over the weekend. I'm hoping for more choices so we cover all options. Any suggestions here?

Phenominal work there! Add me to the list of people that "really want to do one but couldn't compare to your work so why bother" :)

Phenominal work there! Add me to the list of people that "really want to do one but couldn't compare to your work so why bother" :)

I appreciate all the compliments very much.

If anyone wants to attempt this, then I say give it a try. You never know what might happen.

Take, for example, my first two attempts...

SD-1.jpg

Star Destroyer 1 was my very first attempt at scratch building. I had no idea what I was doing. It had practically no original kit parts and the proportions were off.... yet it ended up playing the real filming model in a movie about the making of Star Wars (not yet released/different story).

SD-2.jpg

Star Destroyer 2 was my second attempt at scratch building. I learned from the first one and thought I could do it better. Well, I think I did do it better, but still used few original kit parts and the proportions, though improved, were still off. It ended up replacing the real filming model on a 4 year museum tour.

Star Destroyer 3 is the result of learning by doing, plus there are so many more excellent photos of the real model available now that I didn't have the first two times. Of course, having Lorne Peterson answer all my questions about how the real one was built helps a little too. :) Being here on the RPF, there are so many talented people that can answer questions and give advice.

The point is, if you want to try it, then don't let anything stop you. You just never know what might happen, or who might see it. You may surprise yourself with what you can do if you try!

Last edited:
Here are the latest photos of all the pieces put together. I've begun work on some of the bottom details. Still nothing is glued down yet, as there is much more work to be done before that can happen, so please excuse the tape. :)

I want to shout a HUGE THANK YOU to Lee for donating nine 12" brass U channels to this project!!! I could only find 4 of them here and he was generous enough to send what he had. I'm short one more, but this gives me plenty to work with for now. Thanks again, Lee!!!

IMGP0728.jpg

IMGP0737.jpg

IMGP0747.jpg

IMGP0734.jpg

IMGP0756.jpg

Last edited:
IMGP0747.jpg

This one makes me all gooey inside.

IMGP0756.jpg

That washing machine had better raise its shields...

Great work Rick. And yeah, Lee is a very generous guy in my experience, too.

Rick thats great news, i was starting to worry as id even lost my tracking number, phew. Looks awesome BTW, so clean.

bests.....lee

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back