Star Destroyer #3

If the channel in question has a height of 1/8 inch (0.125) and the metal used is 0.015 inches thick, that would present an opening of 0.095 inch. That should be a perfect fit for a 3/32 inch thick panel edge. This is what I am guessing Rick has.

I spent most of last night working out a mounting system for the bottom of the model. It works fantastic. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make a side mounting.

When you're a drummer-turned-studio-scale-model-maker, it helps to have a lot of cymbal stands at your disposal...

IMGP0650.jpg

IMGP0652.jpg

I just never get sick of a Star destroyer from this angle...

IMGP0664.jpg

You know this can't stay this way for long...

IMGP0666.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what parts were used in making the docking bay walls; sides and front/back? Were they scratch built? I want to get started on these, but I don't want to begin scratch building if there are parts.

Thanks!

Looks like this is the deal then Charles, outer is 1/8, wall is 0.01, and ive a scrap length of 3/32 brass rod that slots in fine.
Rick, shoot me your details in PM then bud, ill send it over.

lee

Looks like this is the deal then Charles, outer is 1/8, wall is 0.01, and ive a scrap length of 3/32 brass rod that slots in fine.
Rick, shoot me your details in PM then bud, ill send it over.

lee

This is GREAT news, Lee, thank you so much!

If the channel in question has a height of 1/8 inch (0.125) and the metal used is 0.015 inches thick, that would present an opening of 0.095 inch. That should be a perfect fit for a 3/32 inch thick panel edge. This is what I am guessing Rick has.

Charles, thanks for your help on this.

I've begun work on the docking bays. I was able to cut out the openings in the bottom hull panels. I got a good start on the ceiling and trim around the main bay. Anyone know what was used to make the front wall, double bay doors? If I can't figure it out I will do what I usually do... make it up as I go.
IMGP0672.jpg

IMGP0674.jpg

I am making good progress on the main docking bay. It's taking a long time to scratch build most of what's in there. I'm very close to finishing it. This is one of those areas on the model I would like to be as accurate as possible.

In the screen cap below, I've outlined the part(s) I need to make the forward, double bay openings. Does anyone know what that is made from?

Thanks!

get-attachment.jpg

Well, I'm still not entirely finished with it, but the docking bay has come a long way. Nothing is glue down yet, you can see tape holding things together for now. Still need to make the 'claw.' I want it to eventually look like it did in ANH.

No one knows what the forward double bay doors were made from, so I decided to be creative. I think it will look better when it is painted.

I found that the docking bay is not an easy thing to replicate. It takes an enormous amount of patience. Eric set the standard with his incredible build. His docking bay was outstanding. I can only hope mine turns out half as good...

IMGP0711.jpg

IMGP0703.jpg

IMGP0710.jpg

She's getting there...

IMGP0697-1.jpg

Last edited:
i just want to say a big thank you to Rick for supporting the RPF, in particular the RPF's face book page.

Rick has kindly allowed me to ask our Face Book members to name this fantastic Scaled Model by way of a competition.

if you would like to take part in naming the Star Destroyer then please head to the RPF Face Book page and add your suggestion.

Rick has also kindly offered to choose the winner, he will announce this himself once he see's a name he finds best fit's this superb build of his.

Thanks again Rick for your support :thumbsup

The most iconic bad guy space vessel ever done justice! Really impressive work here, had to check this out after seeing a link on FB.

Great work Rick! This makes me want to start a SD build of my own

Same here... only that a fraction of a second later another part of me screams "As if you could ever do something as awesome as that". That's when I roll up and cry... usually. :confused

Awesome work!

Slightly off-topic here, but... let's build one together, R2Dan!
We can store it in my flat when it's finished, so... ;)

This thread gives us loads of tasty reference to check on.

Slightly off-topic here, but... let's build one together, R2Dan!
We can store it in my flat when it's finished, so... ;)

This thread gives us loads of tasty reference to check on.

Are you AGAIN trying to tell me I'm running out of space!?

You, space problems? Outer space problems maybe, like not having your own Star Destroyer maybe...

Other than that, I'm sure you're fine in your little room over there. :p

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back