Looper (Post-release)

Saw this @ Arclight tonight - have a question for those who've seen it:

SPOILER

There was a quick SECOND scene where JGL does successfully off Willis - what was the point there? Was that one timeline - and the events of the film another?
And do we need spoiler tags in a post-release thread?

The purpose of this was to

Explain the transition from Young Joe to Old Joe prior to the beginning of their conflict. The history of Dead Old Joe shown in this sequence, however, is not explained. Think of it in the same vein as the second Marty observed at the end of Back to the Future ... we don't, really know them as a character, as the circumstances of their timeline are unseen.

The jump with seeing Old Joe escape to seeing Old Joe get shot is alternate universes. Think of it this way. The movie works in two separate alternate timelines - the one where Young Joe murdered Old Joe, grew up, fell in love, lived his life, was captured, broke free, went back in time on his own, knocked out Young Joe and ran (that last is the second timeline).

It's actually very simple when you accept that things can change. We can call them Joe 1, Joe 2, Joe 3.

When it jumps after you've just seen Old Joe 2 escape, to seeing young Joe kill Old Joe - you are in fact seeing the memory and life of Joe 2, and unlike the Young Joe 3 he meets when he goes back in time and changes things, he himself killed his Old Joe 1, when he was young.

One thing I find stupid also, besides the things already mentioned. The Rainmaker in the Old Joe 2 timeline was this monster crime lord... but... no one had made him an orphan in that time - no Old Joe to hunt him, as the Young Joe in that timeline had killed Old Joe - so the kid grew up with his mother, yet still became this monster. Then Old Joe 2 comes back to kill the kid and Young Joe 3 gets a vision that it was because the kid was orphaned that he became the monster, but would turn out great with his mother there to protect him... well... no... not really... so the whole end is left with the fact that the kid is still going to grow up to become this monster, even though the movie tries to invoke the sensation that everything is gonna be all right now just because he has his mother - like people who has loving parents can't go bad. And by killing himself and erasing him from history, Joe also removes a component that may have been able to successfully stop the monster from rising. :facepalm

Seriously... as it did have some similarities to The Terminator and even Twelve Monkeys - the time travel aspect of the movie is more akin to Time Cop and the later Terminator movies in stupidity. I can only give it a :thumbsdown

I enjoyed the movie but was curious about what seems like might have been rewrites, cut scenes or dropped plot points. How did Sid's mom know about Loopers? I'd have thought they would be keeping their job somewhat secret.

Also, what was with old Joe trying to hard to remember the Chinese girl in the sewers? Why would he have to? Was young Joe falling in love with Sid's mom and threatening to make old Joe lose the experience with the Chinese girl?

Also, what was with old Joe trying to hard to remember the Chinese girl in the sewers? Why would he have to? Was young Joe falling in love with Sid's mom and threatening to make old Joe lose the experience with the Chinese girl?

Yes.
New memories were making his experiences less and less likely.

But old Joe can't influence young Joe's memories. It's all up to young Joe. So I'm not sure what the point of 'fighting it' is.
He wants to keep HIS memories... not Young Joe's new memories... that will wipe clean any memory Old Joe has of his wife. Would you accept your younger version erasing your past and memories?

He wants to keep HIS memories... not Young Joe's new memories... that will wipe clean any memory Old Joe has of his wife. Would you accept your younger version erasing your past and memories?

Acceptance doesn't really seem to matter though. Old Joe wouldn't be able to resist his arm being scarred if young Joe scarred it, so why would his memories be any different?

Well... because... they aren't completely erased at that point... Young Joe still has the potential of going to China and meeting the same woman that Old Joe married.

Young Joe cutting his arm is pretty permanent.

But... it's one of the idiocies of the film, I'll give you that.

As I was telling friends who I saw it with, it's a very 'wibbly wobbly timey whimey' explanation of time travel and paradox. I enjoyed it though.

I'd say it's better than Time Cop if nothing else than the level of the acting. Bruce Willis did FANTASTIC as a guy trying to change his own future/past, and Gordon was great as someone trying to deal with the bad decisions and events in his own life up to that point.

I'd say it's better than Time Cop if nothing else than the level of the acting. Bruce Willis did FANTASTIC as a guy trying to change his own future/past, and Gordon was great as someone trying to deal with the bad decisions and events in his own life up to that point.
Well, sure, I'll give you that. Nothing wrong at all with the acting. I guess it's just the similar type of time travel nonsense as I saw in Time Cop that made me dislike the movie to a degree. It just falls apart almost immediately if you start thinking about it. If you just see it as an existential tale instead, the story in and of itself is okay+. Better than most of the other drivel out there, but I was fairly disappointed in the movie, to be honest.

I think the level of discussion of the time-travel mechanics is disproportionate to the priority it is given in importance to the story's narrative. It's very clearly presented as a science-fiction setup for a human drama.

The conflict between the characters, as well as their individual internal conflicts, take priority. And it's brilliant, thematically complex stuff.

Hey I liked Time Cop.

Thoroughly enjoyed Looper. They accomplished a lot considering the modest budget. I'm still a little fuzzy on some things and I like that it's a movie I want to see again to fully understand.

But did you guys like their automobile fuel convertor devices on the cars?

But did you guys like their automobile fuel convertor devices on the cars?

Ya I noticed that too. Those boxes and hoses hanging off the vehicles. I like how the cars were modern (like from our current time) but really rusted and beat up.

The jump with seeing Old Joe escape to seeing Old Joe get shot is alternate universes. Think of it this way. The movie works in two separate alternate timelines - the one where Young Joe murdered Old Joe, grew up, fell in love, lived his life, was captured, broke free, went back in time on his own, knocked out Young Joe and ran (that last is the second timeline).

It's actually very simple when you accept that things can change. We can call them Joe 1, Joe 2, Joe 3.

When it jumps after you've just seen Old Joe 2 escape, to seeing young Joe kill Old Joe - you are in fact seeing the memory and life of Joe 2, and unlike the Young Joe 3 he meets when he goes back in time and changes things, he himself killed his Old Joe 1, when he was young.

One thing I find stupid also, besides the things already mentioned. The Rainmaker in the Old Joe 2 timeline was this monster crime lord... but... no one had made him an orphan in that time - no Old Joe to hunt him, as the Young Joe in that timeline had killed Old Joe - so the kid grew up with his mother, yet still became this monster. Then Old Joe 2 comes back to kill the kid and Young Joe 3 gets a vision that it was because the kid was orphaned that he became the monster, but would turn out great with his mother there to protect him... well... no... not really... so the whole end is left with the fact that the kid is still going to grow up to become this monster, even though the movie tries to invoke the sensation that everything is gonna be all right now just because he has his mother - like people who has loving parents can't go bad. And by killing himself and erasing him from history, Joe also removes a component that may have been able to successfully stop the monster from rising. :facepalm

Seriously... as it did have some similarities to The Terminator and even Twelve Monkeys - the time travel aspect of the movie is more akin to Time Cop and the later Terminator movies in stupidity. I can only give it a :thumbsdown

he already believed he was an orphan at that point in time, not trusting his mother, it wasnt until young joe came that he finally saw how much she cared for him and was willing to risk her life for him that he realized that she was indeed his real mom

The way I saw it, the reason why emails blunts character knew about Loopers was becaus she herself was a partier and drug addict. Hence why she also knew about JGL's use of the narcotic and the withdrawal and whatnot as she had gone through it. She probably at some point partied with Loopers and in the film you saw that they weren't exactly secretive about what they did.

I get the evolving timelines but I'm lost on how The Rainmaker came to be in organized crime and have a synthetic jaw if Old Joe had not gone back in attempt to take out Rainmaker as a child (and shot him in the jaw).

I was kind of hoping the Rainmaker was Kid Blue, who was actually the younger version of Abe, which would explain why the Loopers had to be taken out (so they couldn't rat out his abuse of whatever knowledge his older self gave him to overtake the organization).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back