Looper (Post-release)

Starting to get VERY strong positive reviews. This has a "Distict 9" sleeper vibe to it where it comes out of nowhere and impresses alot of people.This and Dredd make it a good month for sci-fi.

This has been my most anticipated movie for months now. More so than The Dark Knight Rises even...and I'm a HUGE batman fan.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, looks like he does a bang up job in this. I've been watching all his work lately and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.

And Rian Johnson is a pretty incredible director. Brick was phenomenal for what he was going for and Brother's Bloom was pretty good as well.

Crossing my fingers and holding my breath for this one!

All the early reviews that I've read say that this movie is great. I'm a sucker for a time travel flick!

o-LOOPER-MONDO-POSTERS-570-1-550x825.jpg

Is it just me, or does JGL look unrecognizable? Every time I see the trailer, I do a double take and question if it really is him?

It's nice that he acknowledged it :), but sadly that poster is hardly available anymore. On top of that the movie is being released in India on Oct 12, two weeks after US release of Sept 28, so more torture for me.

rian_johnson_poster_tweet.png

Is it just me, or does JGL look unrecognizable? Every time I see the trailer, I do a double take and question if it really is him?

There was an audiobyte somewhere where a commentator was talking about how JGL was "honored" to be made up to look like willis with fx appliance and such.

Well, that's cool and all, but...I still don't see it.
Most feel the same way and that's understandable, it's meant to be more believable with his performance in the movie.

Rian Johnson Looper WonderCon on Vimeo
The director talked about that exact same thing in the above video. Skip to four minutes and watch for one minute.

Here is another interview addressing the same issue.

"Since the role was written for Joe, how did you decide that Bruce Willis would be the right actor to play the older version of the character?

JOHNSON: I had already written it for Joe, and then we cast Bruce in it, and then we dealt with, “Okay, how do we figure this out?” As our ingenious make-up designer pointed out, they actually look very dissimilar. They don’t look alike, at all. So, our approach was to pick a couple key features and alter those. When Joe showed up on set and started shooting, I was still very, very nervous ‘cause we had committed to this extreme make-up and it’s not like we had totally transformed him, so that he looked like Bruce in Moonlighting, or something. It was a hybrid. But, when Joe kicked in the performance, I knew that was going to take it a long way. It was amazing how much of a transformation there was, once Joe started doing the voice. The other thrilling thing about it, for me, was that it wasn’t imitation. He created a character, but it was a character that could be a young Bruce Willis. It was an amazing high-wire act that Joe was pulling off, every day. For me, it was just really fun to watch. "

Watch: 'Looper' Director's Exclusive Trailer Commentary - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
"I really can't wait for people to actually see Joe's performance in the movie with the makeup, because if you see a picture of him ... obviously it's not like he looks exactly like Bruce Willis, but once his performance plays out in the context of the film, it really works."

I'm interested in the movie and maybe I missed it (I haven't read any of the articles or know much about the plot) but what benefit does the mob get from sending people back 30 years in time to be killed vs just killing them in the present?

I'm interested in the movie and maybe I missed it (I haven't read any of the articles or know much about the plot) but what benefit does the mob get from sending people back 30 years in time to be killed vs just killing them in the present?
I am not entirely sure about the plot either, but supposedly with advanced forensics and future technology, it's tough to get away with murder. That's why sending the victim back to the past would help get rid of all traces of evidence from their present.

I'm with Vivek with Looper. I think this could be a real " sleeper" hit. It's really getting rave previews across the board as one of the best films of the year, and we are not just talking sci fi here.
I thought "Brick" was one of the best and most original thrillers I'd seen for along time, very stylish, cleverly scripted and difficult to predict. So its not surprising that the feedback for "Looper" is very much the same (pretty much the same team produced it), excepting this has seemed to hit more of a "mainstream" cinema nerve.
Again its a pretty modestly budgeted movie but so far this year its been the likes of "Chronicle" and "Dredd" with the limited spends that have produced the outstanding entertainment value (I'd also stick "Cabin in the Woods" in there as well).
Its certainly the scripting and story line that have got most people excited. The three main actors are being very well praised for their performances and its good to see the lovely Emily Blunt getting quite a slice of the pie along with Bruce and Joe.
Its had a very good vibe for a while and it certainly seems to be winning alot of hearts and minds. With one exception this had been a great year for films so far for me and I think Looper will really satisfy alot of peoples expectations if not exceed them.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back