Judge Dredd costume - Comic book version (Judge Minty)

Re: Jude Dredd - Comic version / Judge Minty version

I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with the metal zipper chain, I may go back to plastic. It seemed like the weight of the chain might have been pulling the zipper down a bit.

For the leather pants, I had a couple of pieces of velcro stitched on to the knees to help keep the knee pads extra secure:
View attachment 55785
I also cut away part of the leather flap that covers the zipper on the pants. That way, when they're paired with the jacket it helps give the illusion of one long zipper, like in the comic. But it seems like the flap was sticking up a bit so I may stitch or velcro it down.:
View attachment 55786
The jacket itself has a bunch of velcro stitched into it, that's what I used to secure the badge and shoulder pieces, and even the utility belt.
The shoulder pieces are molded in a relatively lightweight flexible rubber, with fabric glued to the back. I used Barge glue to add some velcro to the shoulder pieces and the badge, and the belt actually has a large continuous piece of velcro stitched to the inside of it:
View attachment 55787
I even put a couple of small pieces of velcro at the end of the sleeves. This enables me to tighten off the sleeves, making it easier to slip the gloves on.:
View attachment 55788
View attachment 55789
Having worn the whole outfit now (today was the first day I'd actually put the whole thing on!) I'm realizing that my boot knife won't work. The current version actually hits the knee pad.
What might work would be a knife that is a bit smaller and lower, so that the knife handle doesn't rise higher than the top of the boot. So it's something I may still consider for the future.

I also need to put some kind of lining in the helmet. I'll probably glue in some foam covered in black cotton.

I am also probably going to do a false chin like Mr. Bungle's idea. I may also switch over to a boot holster like he's doing.

THIS COSTUME IS STILL IN PROGRESS SO THERE WILL BE SEVERAL OTHER TWEAKS AND IMPROVEMENTS BEFORE IT APPEARS AT COMIC-CON.

Last edited:

More pictures of the costume.
These are just some snapshots I took out my back door so they really don't do the costume justice.
I'll try to have some pro photos to impress you with in a few weeks.

And yes, I'm making the goofy Dredd face in all of these pics. I just can't help it. You put the leathers on and the scowl is just automatic.
View attachment 55790View attachment 55791

Back view. The back of the jacket is actually pretty tight normally (as you can see in my first post in this thread). It's just extra wrinkled in this photo because of the way I'm holding my arms back.
View attachment 55792
I'm back at the gym these days so this outfit should be a bit tighter (in a good way) by the time I hit Comic-Con in July. Let's hope I can still squeeze into it...
View attachment 55793

Last edited:

your foam eagle and shoulder pad gave me a good idea. i amking dredd and my wife is going to be anderson. i was planning on making the eagle and shoulder pad out of fiberglass, but now i am going to do them out of foam flex it 25. that way they will go with tht e shape of the person body more.

i want one of those minty "dredd' badges......that thing looks awesome.....i have badge envy........

Thanks Bungle!
I would say contact Dan at Custom Creations (he's on this board once in a while I think) and see if he is able to make any of the Dredd badges available. He might also be able to tell you exactly what he used on the shoulder pieces.

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone. Most of the credit goes to Dan at Custom Creations.

So what do you guys think about the boots? Should I leave those side buckles silver or paint them green? What about those silver rivets on the shin guards?

This is incredible looking! The whole thing looks perfect bro. Great job!

Several people have asked me where to get the gloves for this costume. The original UK website that sold them is gone (xtremegloves) and after just looking for a while, finding armored gloves with separate knuckles is harder than I thought (most of them have the knuckle armor grouped together or in a single oval shape - not good for Dredd gloves).

BUT looking on eBay I managed to find a seller that appears to be selling the same gloves that were used for my costume (and Mr. Bungle's, and the Judge Minty costumes).
Do a search on eBay for DMA LEATHER MOTORCYCLE KEVLAR GLOVES and you should find them. They're from a seller in Australia.

Also found these from a UK seller on e bay , I just bagged them for £17 but he has them buy it now for £19-
KGrHqFh0E3OUWOWBN57GszpY_12.jpg

search New genuine Leather Motorbike Motorcycle Gloves XL ,seller is called spaceiz. Not sure if he posts worldwide but I would be happy to forward them on for anyone.

Looks to be the same goves at a better price. Great find. And it does look like they ship worldwide. Thanks!
I'm planning to pick up a second pair.

I'm planning to pick up a second pair.

yeah extra pair definately needed i reckon those knuckles will soon wear down punchin perps :lol

I'm now looking at new boots too , mine were my old bike boots and first time out in the costume the soles came off :eek Glued back now but its a question of time and flappy soles is not a good Dredd look ! :lol

Look great , am guessing the pouches were bought and added on and the extensions to the gloves you made or had made yourself ? What are you painting the leather with by the way ? I found a PVC paint that is used on bouncy castles for logos etc , covers real well and sticks to leather , foam and vinyl really well.

Yes, the pouches are some cell phone pouches and the gloves were extended with a cheap pair of Star Wars gauntlets from eBay.
There are a lot of paints that are made for sticking to vinyl and leather and they all usually work pretty well (but give them plenty of time to dry). I often get mine from a nearby shoe repair supply warehouse store. They are usually acrylic. Meltonian is a brand I've used that works well in spray cans.
This was a custom color that was mixed together so that the green would be a bit darker than the usual bright comic book green.
(The painting on the gloves was done by Custom Creations, not by me, but I painted the boots to match).

Oh, and the Star Wars gauntlets originally had some foam liner inside. I ripped that out to make them less hot to wear and easier to get my arms to slide in.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back