Judge Dredd costume - Comic book version (Judge Minty)

Re: Jude Dredd - Comic version / Judge Minty version

your foam eagle and shoulder pad gave me a good idea...

By the way, I meant to respond and say that the shoulder pieces are not actually foam. They are a type of flexible rubber.
(If I remember right, it was sort of painted into the mold, but I may have that wrong)

Dan would probably be able to say exactly what he used for them.

Do you guys have any advice on where to find gloves in smaller sizes? I'm doing a film-style Judge Hershey for DragonCon this year. I wear a ladies' glove size 7, which translates to a small or extra-small in men's gloves. I'm finding some armored ladies' motocross gloves, but they all end at the wrist instead of extending up the forearm, and almost all of them are fabric instead of leather and have goopy designs and decorations (when they're not pink :rolleyes).

Sorry. No idea other than scanning eBay. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you.
One of the reasons is that the movie gloves are very different than what I've been looking for so that style hasn't really been on my radar.
But a lot of other people have done movie style Dredd costumes so maybe they can chime in (though they may not be watching this thread since it's about the comic version)

Brilliant work Max! Seeing the Minty uiform made to a personal fit - amazing!
Love the comic-style Judges - if only I could get my hands on the Minty helmet and armour, haha! :) Great work on the leathers and gloves etc.. matches it perfectly - straight out of the comic! More pics please!!! :)

razor, my wife has the same gloves i have except a pair of small. what she did was fold the glove inside out and stitched the figers alittle shorter and the fit her great now.

hope that helps.

Thanks! There will be a ton more pics in about a month when I hit SD Comic-Con. :)

As for the helmet and armor, well now that I think it has been officially announced I think I can mention it here:
2000AD will soon officially have some costume items available. Badges coming first I believe, but I think the plan is to do helmets and armor too. Designed by the same guy as mine. So what you see in my pics could technically be considered the first prototypes of the official 2000AD replica line.
I'd say look for announcements at the 2000AD site re: Planet Replicas. I'll post more info here if I find out.

Brilliant work Max! Seeing the Minty uiform made to a personal fit - amazing!
Love the comic-style Judges - if only I could get my hands on the Minty helmet and armour, haha! :) Great work on the leathers and gloves etc.. matches it perfectly - straight out of the comic! More pics please!!! :)

Brief update:
Thanks to Mr. Bungle I now have a workable boot holster! Pics coming soon once I get it painted.
I was able to make it work with just magnets and the lawgiver feels very secure.
I used two of these in the gun:
K&J Magnetics - Products

That didn't quite have enough hold. It held well at the bottom, but the top of the gun, where it's heavier, kept sliding loose.
So I added one of these to the holster itself, to match up with the top magnet on the gun:
K&J Magnetics - Products
(I glued it onto the metal holster with some JB Kwik)

That did the trick. Now the gun is very secure in the holster, even for walking around. My next step is to line the inside of the metal holster with some thin, soft material, paint it green, and paint over the magnets I added to the lawgiver. Then I'll post some pics.

Thanks again to Mr. Bungle!

Okay, here are the photos as promised:
(note, the green looks a bit dark on the holster and the boots because of the lighting. In real life they look a bit more... green).

The boot holster. Thanks again to Mr. Bungle. It's an ingenious design:
(You can see the rare earth magnet I added in the middle, as well as some black soft velcro for minimizing scratches on the gun. The bottom of the holster doesn't have a magnet, the magnet of the gun just attaches to the steel there.)

View attachment 58185

Two rare earth magnets embedded into the gun:
View attachment 58186

The gun in the holster, showing how it now stays put, defying gravity:
View attachment 58187

Some shots of the finished holster in the boot:
View attachment 58188View attachment 58189View attachment 58190

UPDATE:
I figured I would add an image of the boot holster from the comic:
View attachment 59310

Last edited:
Here we go, some on-set pics as Dredd.
These were taken at a photographer friend's house where he has some good photo sets. He was not available but I did not want to waste the opportunity to take some pics of the outfit.
So bear in mind, these pics were taken with no pro lighting, no pro photographer and no pro camera (just my little point and shoot) so I apologize for the overall image quality.
I still hope to do a professional photo session soon, but these will do for now. Enjoy.

Dredd pursues a perp into the maintenance tunnels of Rowdy Yates Block:
View attachment 58319View attachment 58320

Drawing from the boot holster:
View attachment 58321

Clearing out a Mutie stronghold in the Cursed Earth:
View attachment 58322

Dredd doesn't need his lawgiver to deal with this scavenger, a daystick will do:
View attachment 58323

Your costume is looking truly amazing and that is a superb set. Is it a Mad Max type thing? Very jealous of that set and your costume!

When you get your pro photo session done, you might consider doing some shots without putting a 'Dredd face' on. You've already got half his face anyway.

Most of the people we've used for Promo etc. have started off pulling Dredd faces, but have then found that just a bit of a sneer looks more natural, than a full grimace. I've attached a picture of a slight sneer.

5837795180_96e07abff3.jpg

You've definitely got the best version of Dan's costume, the extra effort you've spent dialling it in and getting properly fitted leathers, really shows.

Very, very cool!

Your costume is looking truly amazing and that is a superb set. Is it a Mad Max type thing? Very jealous of that set and your costume!

When you get your pro photo session done, you might consider doing some shots without putting a 'Dredd face' on. You've already got half his face anyway.

Most of the people we've used for Promo etc. have started off pulling Dredd faces, but have then found that just a bit of a sneer looks more natural, than a full grimace. I've attached a picture of a slight sneer.

You've definitely got the best version of Dan's costume, the extra effort you've spent dialling it in and getting properly fitted leathers, really shows.

Very, very cool!

Thanks!
The Set: It definitely is a Mad Max-type thing. It's actually one of the set pieces for our Wasteland Weekend event in September. So in a couple of months it will all be packed up and transported out to the Mojave desert to serve as the main gates for our event. And it's still in the process of being built: A working flamethrower cannon will be added to the other tower, the walls will be extended, another guard tower will be built, etc..
Let us know if you want any second unit shots for Minty. :)

The suit: Glad you like my embellishments. I've still got a couple of tweaks left to do. I'm going to take the pants back to the tailor as I still think they're a bit baggy/saggy for my taste.

The face: It's funny that you mention that. Yeah, I agree that a slight sneer is more realistic than pulling the "full Dredd". I think I'm doing it because I'm very conscious of the fact that I don't have the right chin for Dredd, especially in profile.
Mr. Bungle sent me one of his silicone Dredd chins and I think I'm going to try wearing that at Comic-Con in a couple of weeks. A slight sneer would be more than enough with that thing on. (Not to mention the pain I'll save my face if I don't have to pull a full Dredd grimace for a few hours in a row!)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back