My Story on "Cops On Screen" posted

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
An article I wrote about the books, radio show, movies and TV series "DRAGNET" was pulished and posted today on the POLICEONE dot COM website. It was about the realism that Jack Webb insisted on when producing his movies and television shows. For Dragnet, actors were issued real LAPD ID cards and badges for props. I had the honor of setting up the little prop badge and ID display for LAPD, and have a couple of original props from Jack Webb's productions.

Hopefully this will be the start of a series of articles on iconic cops from movies and TV shows that I have props from such as Kojak, Miami Vice, Dirty Harry, Ironside, etc.

Unfortunately, access is limited to police personnel who have accounts with POLICEONE dot COM but I know many RPF members are brothers (and sisters) in blue. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/j9E5Rc

Thanks for looking.

I guess 99% of the RPF Members are not going to get to read this, even though I'm sure a lot of us are interested.

Here's the text of the article. No photos, but this is what the first article contained:

America’s Best Known Police Sergeant

Most everyone knew this man as a sergeant in the Los Angeles Police Department who was assigned to the detective division. He worked in robbery-homicide, vice crimes, juvenile, narcotics, internal affairs, public information, etc. throughout his career. He attained the rank of lieutenant, but his fame was as a sergeant.

At his funeral, he received full LAPD honors including flags flown at half mast at police headquarters and his badge number was retired, never to be used again. His badge is on display at the academy. However, this cop never graduated from the LAPD academy, never worked the mean streets of L.A. in a black and white, and in reality was never a real police officer. His name was John Randolph “Jack” Webb but America remembers him as Sergeant Joe Friday, LAPD badge number 714. He was a “Cop On Screen.”

Sgt. Joseph “Joe” Friday was a fictional police officer in books, on radio, in the movies and on television. Joe was an average guy doing an anything but average job. He was no-nonsense and was famous for his monotone admonitions and interrogations. His monologue to a rookie cop under investigation became known within police circles as the “What is a Cop?” speech (or, simply, “The Speech”). In that speech he closes with, “…there are over 5,000 men in this city, who know that being a policeman is an endless, glamourless, thankless job that's gotta’ be done. I know it, too, and I'm damn glad to be one of them."

He was a straight arrow, by the book cop. You didn’t see him laugh out loud if he was happy or pleased, at most you’d see a smirk of satisfaction. He was tough but compassionate, and he dedicated his life to protecting the people of Los Angeles, California.

Jack Webb used actual LAPD crime reports for his storylines. He insisted on realism down to the recreation of the police offices and interrogation rooms complete with accurate desks, phones, chairs, wall material, etc. His relationship with the LAPD afforded him access rarely given to studios. His production company was called Mark VII Production. Each episode started simply with four musical notes (dum--- da-DUM-DUM) which led into the musical “Dragnet March” opening theme.

LAPD officially assisted Webb with Dragnet and later with the show about the patrol division, Adam 12. A technical advisor from the LAPD was always on hand to help assure accuracy in the equipment, scripts, and the portrayal of LAPD. This worked two ways as the show maintained technical accuracy and LAPD could see that it was portrayed realistically.

In addition to helping the studio’s prop department create accurate representations of police facilities, police cars, uniforms, duty belts, and other “set decorations” the LAPD provided actual LAPD badges and ID cards to the actors. It was as if Jack Webb and his cast members were sworn in and issued their badges and IDs.

Webb, himself, wore the attire and equipment typically worn by real LAPD detectives. In the original movies and older television series, he wore a suit and hat (LAPD detectives were once called, “the Hat Squad”) and in the later TV series he was hatless and often had his suit/sport coat off to reveal a traditional crisp white shirt and tie. His gun was a Smith and Wesson .38 snubnose revolver carried in a brown leather clip-on holster made by the little leather shop down the street from “Parker Center” (police HQ) as well as a matching looped ammo carrier. Cuffs were simply tucked over his belt. Dragnet preceded the era of semi-autos and portable communication radios.

Rarely do screen portrayals of police departments or police officers reach the level of realism Jack Webb demanded of his shows. Most real cops can watch a cop movie or TV show and point out the many, many inaccuracies in equipment, procedures or dialog. Real cops know that most female officers don’t look like Heather Locklear and wear short skirts and heels in uniform and that hands-on takedowns are not as easy as Chuck Norris makes it look. They also know it’s unrealistic to shoot guns out of badguys’ hands, to fling a PR24 side-handle baton down the street to trip up a fleeing suspect or to drive Code-3 through narrow alleys steering with one hand and using the radio with the other.

Real cops owe the late Jack Webb, Sgt. Joe Friday, a debt of gratitude for portraying police officers in a realistic and positive manner, showing them not only as dedicated peace officers but also as human beings.

Last edited:
I'm gonna cast "thread necromancy" to add something

The part of the actors using real LAPD badges that were securely collected each night is interesting. They did the exact same thing with the "LA County Fire Dept" Paramedic badges on the later Jack Webb show "Emergency." They followed the same procedures of having LA County Fire Dept advisors on that show as well and one of the actors, Chet I believe, was an actual LA Co. Firefighter.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back