Blade Runner Snub Nose Blaster Project

CNC - no time soon . ....

Thank you for the response. Thanks for sharing this technique and the secrets behind CNC.

Nothing short of a chemical fire or nuclear attack would make me stop making props now. Your knwoledge and examples stir the creative juices.

I am not giving up - you just set bar higher, :love

Thanks,

Gordon

Off again

Well, I'm off again on location (my day job) for another 3 or 4 weeks, then it'll be time for Comic-Con so I'm not going to be able to get back to work on the Snubby until the end of July.

Re: Off again

Well, I'm off again on location (my day job) for another 3 or 4 weeks, then it'll be time for Comic-Con so I'm not going to be able to get back to work on the Snubby until the end of July.

major bummer!
but i'll expect some updates in August, man! lol

More 3D Printed Parts

Here are the rest of the 3D printed parts I've just had shipped to me on location.

The receiver and rear slide:

IMG_5155-Edit.jpg

IMG_5161-Edit.jpg

This is the pattern for the binding post. On the snubby the binding post is smaller than the one on the hero prop. I was going to turn it on the lathe but would have had to deal with a fairly complicated indexing setup to get the knurling, so I decided to have it 3D printed instead. The output is actually half the post, setup on a flat serface with registration dimples. I'll make two molds from the same pattern, which will fit together to form the final mold.

IMG_5163-Edit.jpg

Here's the pattern for the Goldberg Arms logo insert for the grips. 1/2 inch in diameter.

IMG_5164-Edit.jpg

And a dry fit of the parts. Now it's starting to look like somethin'!

IMG_5167-Edit.jpg

IMG_5173-Edit.jpg

IMG_5175-Edit.jpg

what else can I say that hasn't been said before... this build is simply unreal!!! "Great work" does not even begin to do you justice. If/when there's a run on these, I WANT IN!!

Do want! Amber grips would look fantastic on this.. So would mother of pearl!

Thanks! Those grips are the milled patterns which were coincidently cast in an ivory color plastic. I do plan on casting transparent amber ones to go with the kit. But the ivory look cool too, so I might offer those as an option.

Looks as though your getting close to molding time! I am excited, I would suggest casting the side covers and magazine housing in a jet black plastic. I hate painting some thing black when its cast in white plastic...

Do want! Amber grips would look fantastic on this.. So would mother of pearl!

Looks as though your getting close to molding time! I am excited, I would suggest casting the side covers and magazine housing in a jet black plastic. I hate painting some thing black when its cast in white plastic...

Well, I'm still a ways from pouring molds. I can tell you I plan to tint the resin to a medium grey. Pure black uses way too much die, which is expensive and would raise the cost of the kits. The side covers will also be part of the frame casting. If every part was molded separately it would likewise raise the cost... a lot!

Well, I'm still a ways from pouring molds. I can tell you I plan to tint the resin to a medium grey. Pure black uses way too much die, which is expensive and would raise the cost of the kits. The side covers will also be part of the frame casting. If every part was molded separately it would likewise raise the cost... a lot!

I am not sure what you are using resin wise - but for black parts Smooth On has a new quick set ONYX black resin. No need to color it. It just is Black. I just ordered some to try it out.:eek

Gordon

Its good to know that the majority of the kit will be a large piece :) Silpak carries Sil Tool.. Its $75 for a 2 gallon kit. It is jet black. Also captures detail very well and is more like a mild plastic then a brittle resin after its cured.

Last edited:
Back to Work!

Okay, finally getting back to work on the Snubby! Beleive me, I'm as anxious to see it done as you guys are!

Fabricated the receiver end cap and pin today.
CRW_3998.jpg

Rather than hassle trying to turn the end cap as one piece, I broke it down into 4 separate parts, turned on the machine lathe out of acrylic, that would slide together to form the finished shape.
CRW_3988.jpg

Here are the four parts assembled and glued together with solvent cement.
CRW_3990.jpg

Then the cap was trimmed to length on the lathe.
CRW_3992.jpg

And finally the notch for the barrel was cut out using the CNc router. The center pin was turned our of brass.
CRW_4001.jpg

Molds

I've started molding and casting some of the smaller parts for the Snubby. Quite the variety of molds.

One piece molds:
CRW_4009.jpg

Two piece molds:
CRW_4012.jpg

And even three piece molds:
CRW_4013.jpg

Here is the production mold for the transparent checkered grips:
CRW_4018.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back