Blade Runner Snub Nose Blaster Project

hey Dave,

"working backward" wasn't quite what I meant, I see it makes more sense to hand shape the grip based on feel, and I see you did CNC some other parts now, it just looked like you were only cutting profile lines in the pictures, didn't see any contours cut or surfaces. If you wanted to now though, you could take some pics of your grips, use them as underlays and trace the top surface, then loft to it from the outside profile line.

Just thinking if you had a 3D model of the grip, you could CNC grips from exotic hardwood and offer those as kit options. What did you think of the laser cutting grip pattern idea? That would let you offer wood grips with crosshatch or whatever with an easy enough process to run to make it cost effective.

I can totally appreciate your process here, especially all the separate pieces, if you have a sec take a look at our bot:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/1-2-scale-atlas-portal-2-a-117713/

We have almost 200 separate pieces 3D printed! We had some small details Objet printed which must be what you're doing with your details. Anyway wanted to say this is looking great and I can appreciate the work being put in for sure! Like to see the fillisters, that's an especially nice touch.

Last edited:
Chaz,

No worries, cuz sometimes I do work backwards! Already planning on digitizing the grips so I can mill them out of exotic hardwoods and even some of the cool cast resin materials that are available. I also really want to mill a set from a block of carbon fiber. Now that would be cool! But first I need to get the basic kit done.

Your bot is very cool! Nice work.

wow, mill a block of carbon fiber? would that look the same as laid up CF or what would that look like? Wild idea! You must be moulding parts to create kits so when you say you want to mill cast resin do you mean the stock that's cast like marble, or with other features like that? Just because you could cast resin handles, I believe you said you were going to go with translucent ones at that so you must mean the stuff that's already cast up with different colors and stuff.

Not sure what a milled carbon fiber handle would look like, it would be different though from laid up carbon fiber. I found some CF sheet material sold for making knife handles, but it only came 1/4" thick, I'd need 1/2" thick. Need to search some more.

The initial plan is to cast the handles in transparent amber urethane resin that would look like the original blaster prop from the movie. I'll also play around with swirling in mica and other fillers. There are also a whole bunch of really nice pre-cast resin materials, used a lot for turning pens. All sorts of patterns, marble, tortise shell, granite, mother of pearl. Should be fun.

Grip mold and castings

Here's the mold and a set of intermediate grip castings that will be engraved with the checkering patterns. I love the color of this resin, it looks like antique ivory! Hmmm.....

CRW_3914.jpg

CRW_3916.jpg

Get a Grip!

Here are a couple versions of grip checkering. First is the standard diamond pattern like the original.

CRW_3918.jpg

CRW_3922.jpg

And this an engraved Goldberg Arms logo (based on the Smith & Wesson logo) with concentric circles. I love the circles, but I think I want to do the logo as an inlay.

CRW_3923.jpg

CRW_3924.jpg

More to come!

Love the grips... the ivory finish looks classy.

Different grip materials from the clear amber really appeal to me. I think the snub is, as a smaller weapon, a more obviously "personal" item than the stock blaster and as such a prime candidate for customisation.

Just stop short of gold plating and diamond studs.... that would be Bling Runner !

More Grips

While I wait for the 3D printed parts to get here I've been playing around with engraving samples on the grips. Here's one for Tyrell security guards:

CRW_3931.jpg

CRW_3932.jpg

And while it may be more fitting for a gun from Watchmen, I still thought it somehow appropriate:

CRW_3937.jpg

CRW_3939.jpg

And an inlay of the Ennis House tile:

CRW_3934.jpg

CRW_3935.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back