Where can I find big foam blocks?

JLeezy23

Sr Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to look for big blocks of foam, I've found some at a fabric store, they nice and wide (matress sized) but arent thick enough

then I found some hard foam like the disco ball hardness, but they're only like 4x6" and only a few inches thick.

It doesn't matter if its the hard foam or soft foam, jus lookin for big thick blocks (at least 9-12" thick) of either one right now

If I dont find any, one theory of mine is to fill a cardboard box with insulation foam from the spray can... Has anybody tried this method? Would this work?

thanks in advance!

If you try the spray foam method it'll take a couple of days as the foam only sets if it's less than a couple of inches thick, otherwise you'll get a big void in the middle like a pizza crust bubble or a gooey center when you cut into it. I would do it in "sheets" let it set overnight between layers, I would also try misting with water as it's a polyurethane like gorilla glue, that should kick the foam into setting ( do more research before trying that on you big block though)

To purchase blocks, not knowing where you are hinders any advice. Google is your friend.

depends where you live and the type of foam you need, I would use foamsales in burbanks,ca that is for high density sculpting foam, for softer stuff you should consult with fabric or upholstery shops.

Yea i might do it in layers, itll cost less than buying big giant blocks that i found, they're some 75lb. blocks but cost nearly 300, and another about a hundred miles from my location only takes $250 minimum orders

i found one that might work but its in aqua, can it be colored to some other color?

Planning to take a design class at a community college in LA next spring JUST to use the shop facilities. A vacuum forming machine and a spray booth are my top list.

I got some craft foam that was 15cm thick but it was here in the uk, very firm stuff, no real bend to it but great for carving and sculpting

You can try to use the can foam but you will fight with bubbles and you will need to buy a lot of it. You might be better off using Smooth-on FlexFoam-iT or something in their line of foam products. If you can make the mold in the rough shape of your part you will be off to a good start.

Smooth-on

"Foam" is a pretty generic word. Could you be more specific? Are you looking flexible or ridged foam? Polyurethane, or polystyrene?

Ridged polyurethane insulation foam is made in large 4'x4'x8' buns and sliced to width with a large band saw. If you aren't close to a supply, you need to pay for shipping, which can add up with big blocks.

What are you trying to make?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back