90s PC Mech game?

JBomm

So every now and then i'll try to find (via google or w/e) this game that some kid in the neighborhood brought over when I was young. It was an RTS style game and you controlled a Mech. you would go fight the enemies..enemies being other mechs, tanks, armies? idr. But if you fight and lose a limb, you could pick up another mechs limb to replace it. I always thought it was cool and for years we had a "demo" on our computer. The Demo was if you tried to run the game without the CD you could go to the credits or something? and there would be a little skirmish there. the computer we ran it on was a windows 95/97 Gateway..so the game was pretty old.

I was thinking today..Hey, The RPF has people who play video games..maybe they know what i'm talking about.

So anyone have any ideas what the games title is or what I am talking about at all?

Thanks,

Joe

It's hard for me to be specific, because there's been tons of mech games made (particularly by Japan in the 90's), but if I had to guess, I'd say you're referring to one of the Mech Warrior installments.

If you were running a Win 95, this would most likely by Mech Warrior 2: 31st Century Combat.

Look familiar?

YouTube - Mechwarrior 2 Playthrough: Clan Wolf - Mission 1 - Pyre Light

If it's not 31st Century, it might be another game in the series. They were all pretty similar buthad different graphics etc.

@Lusto I remember it being an RTS so I'm not sure about that one.

@ManfromNaboo I'll check out that link when I get home, I think I found it last night but the download wasn't working..It looks different today, so maybe it'll work.

Thanks,
Joe

Picking up a limb to replace doesn't sound like Mechwarrior/Mechcommander

I think you can do it in Crescent Hawk's Revenge though. And it is the first RTS of Battletech.

Download BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Revenge | Abandonia

If you like that then I HIGHLY recommend Megamek, which is the free electronic version of the Battletech tabletop game. It has everything to let you play any time period in the Btech universe. Pick up an enemy's leg and beat him over the head with it. Go to to toe with any of the historic greats underwater, in space, in the middle of a chemical warfare attack. You want mechs, infantry, tanks, Vtols, conventional fighters, aerospace fighters, train-mounted artillery, submarines, battleships, shuttles, small craft, dropships, space warships, nukes, knives, pointy sticks...:lol

MegaMek - Browse /development/snapshot 2011-03-02 at SourceForge.net

Anyone recall the mech game, think it was around the mechwarrior time too, where you can get out of a damaged mech, and hijack/pilot another?

Ahh. So many games to check out! Thanks for the feedback, I couldn't get to it this weekend. Probably some time this week. I just really have this urge to fight a mech and take all of his good body parts :p

Anyone recall the mech game, think it was around the mechwarrior time too, where you can get out of a damaged mech, and hijack/pilot another?

There was another game that had Mechwarrior type robots, but I think they had wheels on the legs so they could roll. I can't remember what it was called. Maybe that's it.

Mechassault 2. Not a bad game but the arcadeyness of it and it's predecessor is what killed the regular Mechwarrior sim games and stuck us in a Mechwarrior drought from the official publishers. After Duke comes out though it looks like S&T will finally get back on the MW5 ball.

There was another game that had Mechwarrior type robots, but I think they had wheels on the legs so they could roll. I can't remember what it was called. Maybe that's it.

Could be Heavy Gear 1 or 2, Chromehounds, or Armored Core 1-4. Lots of stuff had that functionality.

Heavy Gear 2 was boss though. The others were pretty good too.

Sadly Squaresoft has taken their Front Mission franchise in this direction too after all games being turn based strategy.

I played a game like this on the good old commodore 64 called Battletech. You could build a small fleet of mechs and choose which one to go out and pilot. You salvaged parts from ones you blew up and could hijack new ones if yours got destroyed. You also could go on foot and do damage with RPG's and what not until you could get back into a Mech.

i remember one like that you ran around and threw something like a hack grenade at the mech and it ejected the pilot. i loved a mech on there it ran around on 4 legs and shot what look similar to a really pixelated version of a ppc from mechwarrior.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back