Terminator: Genisys

re: Terminator 5 (Reboot)

They need to make a terminator movie that ignores everything after the original cause while T2 was a good action flick Cameron was already getting a bit odd and kinda ruined his own franchise. He has the Michael Bay syndrome where everything has to be big and flashy.
Agreed.

I can watch T2 when I want to be entertained by wild and awesome action that brings a smile to my face... but if I want the horror and paranoia from T1... it's just not there.

I think his T-3 appearance was all cgi, body doubles, and padded jackets. Let's face it, massive steroids were involved in bodybuilding, and after his heart problems I don't think he'd risk it again.

Actually no, they stated in the special features section that Arnold did "good ole fashion working out" for like 10 months or so for the part, and stated that he had the same dimensions as T2 almost 12 years earlier. You can also see that his condition is real on the behind the scenes footage and when he flexes and is wearing a t-shirt, and in all the raw dailies. No CGI there. I loved T3 a lot of the action scenes were great, and the idea that you could put a "girl" through that kind of a beating and not get into trouble for it was never done before. Most just jump on the bandwagon of critics/haters and only repeat what they read so they fit in. I also loved the coffin and crane scenes among many others. I could care less about the story I like the action scenes more. T2 is still my favorite but I liked the others too. I think having a hot chick as a villian terminator was genius.

"Genius" might be a bit strong. I mean..."let's do a GIRL robot" isn't the work of rocket scientists. Now the liquid metal terminator, that was pretty clever.

The T-X is more advanced and has the ability to do more but also can morph as well. But I think the concept is genius as it allows you to do more to a girl and get away with it. No one did it before that. All of the info is on the 2-disc set. I also enjoyed the 6 hour footage on the Ultimate T2 edition. The only reason most bash T3 is because T2 came before it and that is hard to outdo. T5 is not going to "ruin a franchise" it is just another movie. No one will force you to watch but you know you will anyway. I for one can't wait to see Arnold again playing the part.

But Arnold's brilliant comments on how to use the female robot to strategic advantage is to leer about the godawful, offensive "boob enlarging" scene. The whole movie came off as pretty misogynistic, to be frank. Between the boob growing and the bathroom brawl, all I could think was "wow, they really hate women."

Well she is not really a woman, and you can tell by her face that "she" felt no pain. I actually prefer all the scenes where Arnold gets his butt kicked by her. I think it is silly to take any of it seriously, it is a movie period. So I find all the bashings by people who have no lives but to bash movies, even more hilarious. Maybe the T-1000 will be back as well as the T-X and will fight each other? Lol.

I find all the bashings by people who have no lives but to bash movies, even more hilarious.

As opposed to those people who have no lives but to defend them?

Stories mean something, reflect something about both the teller and the audience. There's no such thing as "just a movie." The story came from somebody, who was a product of a time and place, and was viewed by people who were also products of their times and places. And I'm telling you, watch Arnold talk about the TX behind the scenes. It's not pretty.

I don't defend, everyone has an opinion. I don't take it seriously as it is not a real life event, it is entertainment. I don't think Arnold was serious he was just having fun with it. Women complain about not being treated equally then when they are the bashers cry about it. Nonetheless "it" is not a woman anyway it is a machine disguised as one. I think people just get spoiled and too used to technological advances and always want something more. If you want to take movies so seriously, and you are a Terminator sequel hater, you can just choose not to watch any new ones, problem solved. Pop in T1 and T2 for the billionth time. But most haters need fuel so they will be watching with that critical eye picking apart the story. The fact is that T2 was hard to outdo but I still like T3 a lot even as a stand alone movie. If you want great stories maybe stick to drama as opposed to action? I still liked the story though although not as much as the previous ones. But I am not going to cry about it. T3 had a enough great action scenes to keep me interested that is why I watch a Terminator film, not for an engaging storyline. There are far more of those elsewhere than action scenes like in a Terminator film.

Last edited:

OK, I think I'm just not going to be able to get my point across.

And for the record, I thought T3 and 4 were worth watching.

I get your point, opinions vary no big deal. People like movies for different reasons and dislike them for different reasons.

Nope, T3 was just terrible. Bad story, bad casting, horrible movie of the week cinematography... Its just a rehash with no real originality.

Salvation, what a cluster ****. I use that term as kindly as possible because ive read the original green lighted TS script with T800 golf caddies and gardeners. The end result goes nowhere, characters are wasted while some cant act their way out of a wet paper sack and oh those pearly white perfect post judgment day teeth. Seems the only people that are doing well after the Apocalypse are dentists. I can go one for days about where this one went wrong but the story was taken out and more big time and money wasting explosions and meaningless slow motion action scenes put in place.

The odd thing is T5 could work with keeping T3 and TS in place while even fixing TS in the process. BUT, it would have to be written by someone who understands this and not McG with his "we go back to London before judgment day via time travel to try and avoid the war" idea. I swear he thinks backwards from slow motion action scenes and how to work a "story" in somewhere.

Lastly, dont for one second think Roland would come back for a pay check. The guy has integrity. He is doing well for himself running his own business. He didnt get much, if any respect once his scenes were done for TS. Like Terry Crews, he was discarded for the most part and swept under the rug yet brought the classic T800 to life through massive hard work and training. As I said before, he was the Arnold T800 and should be. If the T5 script is there and most importantly a new director, he could walk into the shoes.

I hear William Wisher has a script and/or treatment - would love to read that one.

Lastly, dont for one second think Roland would come back for a pay check. The guy has integrity. He is doing well for himself running his own business. He didnt get much, if any respect once his scenes were done for TS. Like Terry Crews, he was discarded for the most part and swept under the rug yet brought the classic T800 to life through massive hard work and training. As I said before, he was the Arnold T800 and should be. If the T5 script is there and most importantly a new director, he could walk into the shoes.
It would be interesting indeed if Arnold, as a human, came up against Roland, as the T-800 terminator just about to be sent back to 1984. And from what I've seen they don't need all that much, if any CGI to pull things off.

It could add a dramatic moment. But of course, is so easily ****ed up by lazy writers and directors and suits.

Odds are never good with Hollywood, but it's totally salvageable and Arnold could contribute to it.

Imagine a scene where the aging and clearly human Arnold character must confront a vintage 1984 youthful Arnold Terminator?

Go back to the source material, they gave us the glimpses decades ago, you think it would be obvious.

They can always 'Tron Legacy' Arnold's head and have Arnold provide the voice. If they stay true to the tone of the original film he wouldn't have to say much.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Another reason why the other films are so poor as well, not only because of the story, but also because they lack another element that helped make the first two great. Something also missing from other movies with paranoia and chase scenes, which the first two Terminator movies delivered in spades. A THRILLING and CHILLING score.

Brad Fiedel is to Terminator what John Williams is to Star Wars and Superman and Raiders. He helped bring an intense and weird mechanical, constant beat to these movies. There's simply no real energy or life to the other two soundtracks. What he added was raw power and drive.

Another thing I've found boring about many of the sequels is that John Connor is painted as this flawless savior of all mankind... he's just perfect and so important and not capable of making mistakes. Anyone knowing human nature would quickly acknowledge that if you are brought up to believe you'll be this and that, that you'll eventually try to rebel from it and those trying to push you in a certain direction, so you can shape your own future and yourself the way you want to be and not how others see you or try to force you into becoming. Where's the rebellion? Where's the poor choices? Where are the mistakes that could end up getting others killed because you either act superior to everyone because of what you're told you'll become or because you are trying to rebel from it? Where's the growth? Where's the drama? Where is the boy, who turns into a man, who witnesses the horrors and knowing he really can't stop it... and... still trying to help turn things around. I want the reluctant hero, not the perfect, flawless pedestal hero, who's as realistic as a cardboard cut-out.

Like Morpheus said to Neo: "There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path". And THAT is what Connor meant with the message he gave to Reese to tell Sarah, that, we are masters of our own fate. NOT that the future can be changed.

Last edited:

I've been thinking about this a lot. Another reason why the other films are so poor as well, not only because of the story, but also because they lack another element that helped make the first two great. Something also missing from other movies with paranoia and chase scenes, which the first two Terminator movies delivered in spades. A THRILLING and CHILLING score.

Brad Fiedel is to Terminator what John Williams is to Star Wars and Superman and Raiders. He helped bring an intense and weird mechanical, constant beat to these movies. There's simply no real energy or life to the other two soundtracks. What he added was raw power and drive.

Another thing I've found boring about many of the sequels is that John Connor is painted as this flawless savior of all mankind... he's just perfect and so important and not capable of making mistakes. Anyone knowing human nature would quickly acknowledge that if you are brought up to believe you'll be this and that, that you'll eventually try to rebel from it and those trying to push you in a certain direction, so you can shape your own future and yourself the way you want to be and not how others see you or try to force you into becoming. Where's the rebellion? Where's the poor choices? Where are the mistakes that could end up getting others killed because you either act superior to everyone because of what you're told you'll become or because you are trying to rebel from it? Where's the growth? Where's the drama? Where is the boy, who turns into a man, who witnesses the horrors and knowing he really can't stop it... and... still trying to help turn things around. I want the reluctant hero, not the perfect, flawless pedestal hero, who's as realistic as a cardboard cut-out.

Like Morpheus said to Neo: "There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path". And THAT is what Connor meant with the message he gave to Reese to tell Sarah, that, we are masters of our own fate. NOT that the future can be changed.

Most of your concerns in the next to last paragraph were addressed in TSCC, but I don't know if you consider that "canon."

But of course, is so easily ****ed up by lazy writers and directors and suits.

Which is why there is such a slim, slim chance (if any) that we will see a decent film.

Maybe - just maybe - if Arnold is holding the purse strings, and Cameron is at the helm, and they listen to the fan base and get a decent script...

Oh - 'scuse me! Gotta run: there's a squadron of pigs doing aerobatics outside and I wanna go see! :)

Which is why there is such a slim, slim chance (if any) that we will see a decent film.

Maybe - just maybe - if Arnold is holding the purse strings, and Cameron is at the helm, and they listen to the fan base and get a decent script...

Oh - 'scuse me! Gotta run: there's a squadron of pigs doing aerobatics outside and I wanna go see! :)

I dunno, after Avatar, Cameron might not be the guy to helm the franchise. Some fans already thought T2 was getting too preachy, and that was what, 20 years ago. Add two decades of interest to his sanctimonious pr**k account, and I'm not sure I'd like to see Cameron direct this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back