Blade Runner Blaster, Making a Shooter

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For years I have wanted a Blade Runner blaster that would shoot. I've probably owned one of each version of Rich Coyle's beautiful replicas and he and I have traded ideas and engineering concerns over the years.

First off, I am a middle aged policeman so I am fully aware of the legalities involved. On the side I am a fully licensed gun dealer, I sell real guns and I design and build prop guns (inc. some that shoot).

When making or modifying a real firearm, you need a working knowledge of metallurgy, physics, ballistics, etc. as you can easily turn a pistol into a hand grenade that goes off in your hand. The Blade Runner blaster is built on a .44 caliber revolver. That's .44 caliber. Alot of bang that, if not contained and channeled properly, can easily blow up the Charter Arms top strap, cylinder wall, etc. :confused

So, kids, do not try this at home. It is not for amateurs and you truly need a machine shop to do it properly and safely. Having a grinder, a Dremel and a vice will not do it. To get this far, it took an experienced machinist (who builds semiauto rifles out of aluminum billets) using computer controlled industrial lathes, milling machines, etc.

This thread is for entertainment and informational purposes only. It is not a how-to, it is not a tutorial. It is a show and tell. Here we go:

Here's my Coyle Worldcon Blade Runner Blaster:

RightSide.jpg

I took the barrel off my Charter Arms .44 special Bulldog. Note the two shoulders (unthreaded portions, only one highlighted) where the barrel screws into the gun:

Shoulder.jpg

The two shoulders are critical and must be matched to ensure proper fitting to the frame. The frame itself is designed for the unthreaded shoulders. I took .44 cal barrel stock (a rifled blank, unfinished barrel material) and had it turned to the proper diameter on a lathe, cut it to length, turn down the threaded area, threaded it and shouldered it and cut the crown to specs. It was then placed in the frame. It is not simply a matter of screwing a barrel into a frame. Remember, .44 cal. is a significant load. You need to consider the leade (sic), the "flash gap" or gap between barrel and cylinder, the torque spec for tightening the barrel, the amount of contact spec'd by the factory for thread contact, etc.

Then there is the matter of cutting off part of the ejector rod and a cosmetic/dust cover on the crane as shown here:

Rodcopy.jpg

Here is the Bulldog with the new barrel:

LeftSides.jpg

The next parts of the project will be to:
1. Fit the Bulldog into the Coyle replica and secure it so that it will hold together under the stresses of firing, recoil, gas and heat venting, etc. Remember Newton's 3rd law of motion!
2. Removing the bluing to better simulate the look of the original.
3. Deciding on a Coyle replica Steyr, a real Steyr or different replica Steyr to stack on top.
4. "Dust" testing. Blowing powder (dust) to determine the course of the flash and heat when the gun fires to determine if modification to the side panels is needed. Doc3d IIRC did indicate he modified those panels on his Blade Runner shooter. Will need to determine if containment or release is the way to go re. the venting.
5. Assembly and test firing. Staring with talcum loads using a primer only and working up to using a bullet. This will be done remotely using a Ransom Rest. I'm not willing to risk my hand until all this is done, and even then I'll probably wear a glove.

I hope to have progress photos and reports soon. :cool

TEASE!!!! I thought this was going to be a finished project that I could read through!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Nice build though!

And your sergeant will let you carry this as your duty piece?:cool
That's going to be incredibly nice when it's finished.
Good luck with te build!
I6

And your sergeant will let you carry this as your duty piece?:cool
That's going to be incredibly nice when it's finished.
Good luck with te build!
I6

I'm a lieutenant so I outrank my sergeants (although some of the sgts. don't believe it) :rolleyes and I've been photographed in uniform holding a variety of prop weapons (lightsaber, Ghostbuster proton pack, Predator minigun, Aliens pulse rifle, etc.). :lol

Hoping to get it done and to the range during the summer. Thanks for the kind words.

Very interesting! I've wondered about the practicality of doing something like this, and it looks like you're going about it in a sane, safe way.

Can't wait to see more pics!

I helped Mike (MSPAW) a little with his incredible machined, steel sight rod. I decided I was going to use one of his green LED sight rods on the shooter but always felt that paint softened fine, machined detail by filling voids, etc.. I chose not to paint it, but blued it using a cold blue paste. Now "blueing" actually turns steel black or blue/black, just the look I wanted for my shooter.

Here's a pic of the rod after the blueing process:

BluedRod.jpg

Note how the knurling remains in sharp detail. If I had used paint, the paint would have softened the effect.
KnurlDetailing.jpg

I am, I believe, the 4th or 5th RPF member to post about using a real Bulldog to create a Blade Runner blaster. I have borrowed upon some of their experience and sharing of information here to get this far. A search will reveal the other threads which include finished conversions. I think there is even a link to a member actually shooting his conversion. I have carefully studied their posts, pics and videos and they have saved me alot of trial, error and disappointment.

Since I have the Bulldog being modified and handled, I removed the firing pin (easy on a CA) for safety. In my state, all firearms must be kept away from minors so the blaster may remain this way while on display. I can reinstall the pin for test firing pretty easily.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back