Blade Runner Blaster, Making a Shooter

Re: 2012 update

Progress has been slow but steady with this build. For those of you new to this thread, it is for information only, do not do this at home. I am a fully licensed gun dealer and maker, have been playing with guns for over 50 years, been a cop for over 27 years and have the facilities to precision machine metals. No hand tools, no guesswork, etc. and the people working with me are trained machinists with backgrounds in firearms, ballistics, etc. For those of you who are self apppointed keyboard cyber secret police :rolleyes please note everything done here is legal, licensed, and done in a safe manner. For the purpose of this thread, the firing pin on the Charter Arms revolver has been removed so it can be considered an inert weapon ... the only way it can hurt someone is if it fell on their foot.

:confused OK, enough of the cyber stasi disclaimers but I hate hearing from "experts" (know-it-alls living at home with their parents) warning me about sleeping in a cell with "Bruno" if I build guns, modify guns, etc. and post the info. Again, I have federal, state and local licensing to deal in live firearms.

Here is how the parts look. The upper is a hand finished, hand selected Steyr replica from Rich Coyle. It is the latest and greatest version of the RAC BR Blaster upper. I had considered buying a real Steyr upper for this build, but this new version of the replica upper convinced me it may not be needed.

Having access to some details from the recently sold actual prop I posted some high rez photos that resulted in some changes by Richard Coyle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...rs and Stands/Shooter/ShooterInProgress01.jpg

Since this will be a "shooter" the parts attached to the real Bulldog must be solid, allow overpressure venting, and be attached securely. This is a .44 special and even using light loads or blanks will subject the entire prop to extreme physical forces as well as heat and overpressure. If this isn't built solidly, it could become a hand held grenade. Here is a shot of a side panel being fitted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ers and Stands/Shooter/shooterInProgress4.jpg

For display purposes, I will be acquiring a second cylinder which will be modified to prevent the gun from being fired. Technically this is a real gun and the laws are specific about a firearm being left unsecured so a backup cylinder will have 5 dummy round premanently installed and the cylinder occluded to prevent the fitting of any real ammo. It will also be displayed with no pin.

Yes, it will be fired first from a Ransom Rest or something like that at first, as a safety precaution. I will wear a shooting glove when I shoot it by hand.

THANKS to Rich Coyle for his efforts in continually improving his venerable blaster replica. The new upper looks smooth and shiny, and the new ammo box should be another improvement. Hope to get this to the range this Spring.

Just an FYI from Doc3d, the person who made the working BR gun that can be fired with complete safety, as shown on Firing the Blade Runner Blaster, visible on youtube. You do not need an army of machinists to make a working BR gun. You do need a solid understanding of physics and how a revolver functions. You do need to exercise safety. You do need a brain. You do not need to be a cop. Just my humble opinion.

Just an FYI from Doc3d, the person who made the working BR gun that can be fired with complete safety, as shown on Firing the Blade Runner Blaster, visible on youtube. You do not need an army of machinists to make a working BR gun. You do need a solid understanding of physics and how a revolver functions. You do need to exercise safety. You do need a brain. You do not need to be a cop. Just my humble opinion.

Well we all no what opinions are like. And you just felt the need to bring up and old thead and give yours huh.

Well we all no what opinions are like. And you just felt the need to bring up and old thead and give yours huh.

Well, I proved my point on the firing range, so it ceased being an opinion and became fact. People shouldn’t make these guns without a solid understanding of physics and metallurgy, but if they are competent no reason not to just do it!

Well, I proved my point on the firing range, so it ceased being an opinion and became fact. People shouldn’t make these guns without a solid understanding of physics and metallurgy, but if they are competent no reason not to just do it!

Apologies I was half asleep an felt you were picking on eltee. Cool video. Did you fire a full grain round through you're shooter?

Did I do or say something to cause my old post to be quoted after so many years? No you don't need an army of machinists, I had one and I don't recall stating or even implying you needed "an army" of machinist. You certainly don't need to be a cop, but you need to know the lawsregarding firearms and I don't think I ever made a point about being a cop as a requirement to build one. I'm in California, home of the most Draconian gun restrictions in the country and I wanted would-be builders to know some of the laws re. purchasing, modifying, shipping, etc. firearms but YMMV based on locale.

Sorry if I offended anyone but it was not my intent but really, so many years later?

Hey eltee, your awesome project inspired me to build my own. I have the Charter Arms Bulldog and a 2049 Tomenosuke blaster kit. Do you have any specifics of the barrel other than whats posted? I'm taking my pistol to a highly reputable gunsmith and I want to accurately articulate what I want. I may take the kit barrel in to use as an example.

Did I do or say something to cause my old post to be quoted after so many years? No you don't need an army of machinists, I had one and I don't recall stating or even implying you needed "an army" of machinist. You certainly don't need to be a cop, but you need to know the lawsregarding firearms and I don't think I ever made a point about being a cop as a requirement to build one. I'm in California, home of the most Draconian gun restrictions in the country and I wanted would-be builders to know some of the laws re. purchasing, modifying, shipping, etc. firearms but YMMV based on locale.

Sorry if I offended anyone but it was not my intent but really, so many years later?

A lot depends upon WHAT type of ammo you intend on shooting. Full loads, light loads, blanks, etc.

The Charter itself with a competently machined barrel is pretty solid but once you bolt on the blaster parts and that somewhat fragile grip you risk damage due to recoil and gap flash. The replica pieces are usually made of a pewter / pewter like soft metal so they don't hold threads and such as well as aluminum or steel so you need to bear that in mind.

Good luck, be careful.

Thanks for the advice. I have a gunsmith who can do the work and I'll have to think of something that'll keep the pieces from flying off the gun.
A lot depends upon WHAT type of ammo you intend on shooting. Full loads, light loads, blanks, etc.

The Charter itself with a competently machined barrel is pretty solid but once you bolt on the blaster parts and that somewhat fragile grip you risk damage due to recoil and gap flash. The replica pieces are usually made of a pewter / pewter like soft metal so they don't hold threads and such as well as aluminum or steel so you need to bear that in mind.

Good luck, be careful.

It took me ten years to gather the correct parts to build an all metal Pulse Rifle. Some trial and error. The mating of a barrel on the handgun for a BR blaster....that part I would hire out to a professional gunsmith. JB Weld to attach the Steyer? Machine out a small cavity to use rare earth magnets? Clear silicone to absorb some vibration on the grips.

A BR live fire is something that will be a safe queen, not a Glock 17 that needs to take thousands of rounds, it just needs to be safe.

Biggest problem I can see with the thing is the cylinder gap - for non-shooters, it's the very thin space between the cylinder and barrel that is open to the air, and when the gun's fired you'll get a blast of burning powder and high pressure gases through it. If you're building a shooter BR revolver, that's the concern that eltee's talking about, and why you want to use high-strength materials for the shroud.

eltee, how hard is it to clean out the insides of a shooter Blaster anyway? I can imagine the powder residue gets thick fast.

Biggest problem I can see with the thing is the cylinder gap - for non-shooters, it's the very thin space between the cylinder and barrel that is open to the air, and when the gun's fired you'll get a blast of burning powder and high pressure gases through it. If you're building a shooter BR revolver, that's the concern that eltee's talking about, and why you want to use high-strength materials for the shroud.

eltee, how hard is it to clean out the insides of a shooter Blaster anyway? I can imagine the powder residue gets thick fast.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words :)... for the non-shooters:

67e92ae6117b6bd28ac01b4250507451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should be noted, that the cylinder gap of the CAW cap gun is considerable (probably like a full millimeter). I keep hoping to revisit it and work up a mod to get more of the flash going down-barrel. The action of a real revolver is such that the cylinder actually advances forward ever so much on the revolution until it's as flush as possible with the barrel. The tighter that tolerance, the less spill out the gap. So whoever makes your replacement barrel should leave a few extra thousandths on the back so it can be fit specifically to your bulldog.

If you could fit a Nagant in to one then no side flash problem, as this gun gas seals to a total forcing cone fit.. zero side gas escape .. I know the geometry is off so the whole gun would be different ..

For years I have wanted a Blade Runner blaster that would shoot. I've probably owned one of each version of Rich Coyle's beautiful replicas and he and I have traded ideas and engineering concerns over the years.

First off, I am a middle aged policeman so I am fully aware of the legalities involved. On the side I am a fully licensed gun dealer, I sell real guns and I design and build prop guns (inc. some that shoot).

When making or modifying a real firearm, you need a working knowledge of metallurgy, physics, ballistics, etc. as you can easily turn a pistol into a hand grenade that goes off in your hand. The Blade Runner blaster is built on a .44 caliber revolver. That's .44 caliber. Alot of bang that, if not contained and channeled properly, can easily blow up the Charter Arms top strap, cylinder wall, etc. :confused

So, kids, do not try this at home. It is not for amateurs and you truly need a machine shop to do it properly and safely. Having a grinder, a Dremel and a vice will not do it. To get this far, it took an experienced machinist (who builds semiauto rifles out of aluminum billets) using computer controlled industrial lathes, milling machines, etc.

This thread is for entertainment and informational purposes only. It is not a how-to, it is not a tutorial. It is a show and tell. Here we go:

Here's my Coyle Worldcon Blade Runner Blaster:

RightSide.jpg

I took the barrel off my Charter Arms .44 special Bulldog. Note the two shoulders (unthreaded portions, only one highlighted) where the barrel screws into the gun:

Shoulder.jpg

The two shoulders are critical and must be matched to ensure proper fitting to the frame. The frame itself is designed for the unthreaded shoulders. I took .44 cal barrel stock (a rifled blank, unfinished barrel material) and had it turned to the proper diameter on a lathe, cut it to length, turn down the threaded area, threaded it and shouldered it and cut the crown to specs. It was then placed in the frame. It is not simply a matter of screwing a barrel into a frame. Remember, .44 cal. is a significant load. You need to consider the leade (sic), the "flash gap" or gap between barrel and cylinder, the torque spec for tightening the barrel, the amount of contact spec'd by the factory for thread contact, etc.

Then there is the matter of cutting off part of the ejector rod and a cosmetic/dust cover on the crane as shown here:

Rodcopy.jpg

Here is the Bulldog with the new barrel:

LeftSides.jpg

The next parts of the project will be to:
1. Fit the Bulldog into the Coyle replica and secure it so that it will hold together under the stresses of firing, recoil, gas and heat venting, etc. Remember Newton's 3rd law of motion!
2. Removing the bluing to better simulate the look of the original.
3. Deciding on a Coyle replica Steyr, a real Steyr or different replica Steyr to stack on top.
4. "Dust" testing. Blowing powder (dust) to determine the course of the flash and heat when the gun fires to determine if modification to the side panels is needed. Doc3d IIRC did indicate he modified those panels on his Blade Runner shooter. Will need to determine if containment or release is the way to go re. the venting.
5. Assembly and test firing. Staring with talcum loads using a primer only and working up to using a bullet. This will be done remotely using a Ransom Rest. I'm not willing to risk my hand until all this is done, and even then I'll probably wear a glove.

I hope to have progress photos and reports soon. :cool
Thanks for the comments but this could not have been done without Rich Coyle. Being a licensed gun dealer, I acquired the Bulldog and bought some rifled barrel material. The new barrel was machined and fitted. The firing pin was removed temporarily for safety.

Richard did his magic. He hand picked the parts from his latest version of the blaster. His newest Steyr replica was so amazing I went with his version instead of using a real Steyr and I do not regret it. The pics do not show how great it looks.

Rich fitted my Bulldog into his replica, which took alot of work to get it perfect. I asked him to create a blaster as it might look brand new, not beat up and rusty like the real one seen at Worldcon and sold later at auction.

Rich found a source for a new terminal screw (that foward facing screw) so he added a "found" part that was new, the one I sent him was old and worn. IIRC, this blaster utilizes "new, improved" Coyle parts that include the upper, grip frame, amber grips, bolt and bolt handle, and the incredible looking magazine (battery and switch box) with a replica .222 round on top (looks good in and out of the blaster).

Rich had to build this on the premise that it would be shot using live rounds, so it had to be tightly fitted and sturdy. The physics involved in shooting a gun include gas pressure, heat, recoil, and inertia forces but I am confident in Rich's skill so as soon as I can work up some escalating .44 loads I plan to shoot this bad boy.

I am very happy with this. The Bladerunner blaster replicas have been evolving since the early Marco Enterprises version I saw in the 80's. I have several blasters, collected over decades, but this one is my pride and joy. Coyle really came through for me and I am grateful. :D

Would not the original prop have been made by simply adding a shroud around the Bulldog barrel ? I know that movie gun prop guys take the most direct path when they can..like the Rifleman rifle..they didn't make a special gizmo to trip the trigger, just a set screw ..I don't even think they used full load blanks in the B R movie as most times it fired it was indoors..on the subject of practical, take a close look at WOODY STRODE ( my hero ) in once upon a time in the west , his cut down Winchester has a piece of angle bar welded in to the trigger bow to trip the trigger..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back