The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Thanks Brad! I must confess I was REALLY surprised how good it looked under the buff coat. I still have LOTS of smoothing to do, but overall it's really come a very very long way.

"Ladies and Gentleman, please start your sanders" ..... :D

I hate sanding on such a small thing than my helmet, but this is really huge.

I hate sanding...

You and me both, brutha! I think this will be an exercise in choosing my battles. I'm just going to have to pick a point where I'm satisfied with things, though maybe not happy. Otherwise I'll be sanding this thing for the rest of time.

Matt,
Can I assume you'll be getting this painted at a place that specializes in automotives? If so, it might be worth biting the bullet and paying someone else to do the prep work. They'll have a better idea of when it's "good enough" plus you'll save yourself the torment of sanding that beast.

Just a thought. Understand it will cost more, but you'll save your sanity. :)

Sean

I think the danger to outsourcing the sanding part is that any nuances in the bodywork, that are on the screen used car could get lost, because the person sanding sees them as flaws and not as SA imperfections. It would work if Matt is going for an idealized Batmobile, though ;)

Put in another 2 hours of work today on the car. Lots of puttying, and also some work with the reciprocating saw on the drivers side air intake. I'll post pics to the blog later tonight.

Another advantage of the wet sanding is it cuts down on dust, which you probably don't want to be inhaling if you can avoid it.

Lookin' good, Matt! Glad to see this moving again.

Here's a pic from yesterday:

intake.jpg

Lots and lots of putty over the drivers side of the car. Three more progress pics are on my blog, if you want to see more.

The Project Workbench: Putty In The Buff

Matt
I always wet sand everything even before primer. And I used to be paid to do auto body repair. I think it if workes for you then it is right. Also If you get a squeegee to remove the dirty water from the car. You can save on papper thowles.There are ones for automotive work.
looking good
Mark

An event worthy of an update! For those of you following along, you'll know my roid-rage neighbor has been giving me a world of trouble. Well, tonight I found out he's moving! There's a for lease sign out front of his place, meaning he's not renewing HIS lease! Whoohoo! Let's hope the next tenants are a timid bunch, or are hard of hearing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back