The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Floor jacks are relatively inexpensive, and make things sooooo much easier. You might want to invest in a set of jack stands as well; that way you can solidly keep the front or rear end in the air.

Already have a set of four jack stands. yay! They are fun. Safety wins!!

And yes, floor jack is on the horizon. For sure.

Learned some valuable lessons about project schedules and budgets. I'm very curious to see if this example is indicative of larger things to come. I sure hope not!!!

The Project Workbench: Rotors and Brake Pads. My Journey.

PB Penetrating Catalyst - never do a auto project without a can at the ready. I had a hitch rust fused to the receiver and PB was the only thing to loosen it.

For stubborn bolts a nice set of sockets (not Harbor Freight, not that anybody would confuse "nice" with HF) in addition to the PB spray and a breaker bar will almost always work.

Hey Matt - I had to chuckle when you mentioned wearing surgical gloves when working on the car 'cause you don't like to get your hands and nails dirty/gritty/greasy. That, my friend, is part of the experience.

You cannot "become one with the machine" until you've had your hands and arms coated with the mechanical monster's lifeblood. Get a pair of coveralls, put a hat or kerchief on your head, and revel in the oil, grease, rust and grime.

You will sweat on this car - and at some point you'll end up spilling blood on the beast (the knuckles are the first to go, believe me!). At that point, you are brothers.

A can of Goop cleaner, a small nail brush and soap and water will get you neat & clean until the next encounter.

Luke didn't become a Jedi by staying clean :lol

PB Penetrating Catalyst - never do a auto project without a can at the ready. I had a hitch rust fused to the receiver and PB was the only thing to loosen it.

For stubborn bolts a nice set of sockets (not Harbor Freight, not that anybody would confuse "nice" with HF) in addition to the PB spray and a breaker bar will almost always work.

Good tip! I will pick up some of that stuff. Sounds like fun.

And yes, I picked up a nice set of Craftsman socket that have already earned their keep. While there are SOME tools I am happy to buy from Harbor Freight, hand tools that I'm expecting to last a lifetime are not one of them. :)

FU MATT MUNSON....I CURSE THEE. So today I have to do a bunch of running around LA. Half way across town between back to back appts......yup you guessed it.

I have been financially crushed over the last three months with emergency type bills and dont want to spend the $800 per axel to take it to the dealer. So my soon to be bloody knuckles are cursing you as well:lol

brakepads.jpg

On my 20th b-day I bought myself a medium duty air compressor from sears. I'm 25 and the thing has proven invaluable. What with all the different air tools available, i.e. Impact Wrench... It's helped me change numerous brakes, take out and rebuild an engine, sand and grind just about anything, you get the idea. Besides my hand tools, it's one of my most cherished pieces!

long story short, compressors are freaking awesome. The mattmobile will need one :thumbsup

Please be carefull Matt. Always double and tripple check the location of your jacks and jackstands. If you have a few extra wheels around put it under it too when you have it jacked up. I'd rather you be over carefull then not. I had a car fall on me when i worked in a junkyard when i was a kid and the wheel trick saved my life.

Are you going to be doing the body work yourself?

Do up the interior Matt... Its where YOU will be when you're driving the car. I'll help if you want.

Fear not, the car will have a super duper cool interior. I'm just not sure at this point if it's going to be screen accurate. I really don't think it will be, but it will be similar. I'm going to get the correct seats and steering wheel, that's for sure. The dash will be the same shape. However, I think I am going to skip sourcing all of the airplane parts. I'll just go with something more traditional, and also add in a few things that are useful. I think I'm going to avoid putting buttons and switches on the dash that don't do anything. I want it to all be functional.

I think I'm going to avoid putting buttons and switches on the dash that don't do anything. I want it to all be functional.

That's the part where you get to come up with lots of silly little functions to assign to those switches! Shine a light in your passenger's eyes, smokescreens and oil slicks behind the car, side grapple hook for extremely tight turns, pop-up airsoft machine guns, bluetooth phone, toothpick dispenser, etc. The dash of the '89 car needs all those toggles!

Really psyched to follow this build for the next four years until you sell off the half-finished parts! :lol

Fear not, the car will have a super duper cool interior. I'm just not sure at this point if it's going to be screen accurate. I really don't think it will be, but it will be similar. I'm going to get the correct seats and steering wheel, that's for sure. The dash will be the same shape. However, I think I am going to skip sourcing all of the airplane parts. I'll just go with something more traditional, and also add in a few things that are useful. I think I'm going to avoid putting buttons and switches on the dash that don't do anything. I want it to all be functional.

You could always see about getting in touch with mister Adam Savage on here...I know they have a resource they frequent for all their airplane part needs... perhaps he may even be able to help you get them cheaper :)

That is exactly the route I would take... Roughly 75% accurate. Check out VDO gauges...

http://www.usa.vdo.com/generator/ww.../instrument_series/instruments_series_en.html

Last edited:
I know you're not to concerned on the power you're putting out but Just throwing it out there that if you ever want more power I wouldn't recommend putting more money into that engine (or buy a SRT10 engine like I noticed someone else recommended) but selling the one you have and buying an LS motor. It's GM so it'll pretty much bolt right up to the same spot and it creates great power stock and can easily create more power with just basic bolt ons.

Here's a link that should help you if you ever decide you want some more power :love. Just my 2cents and can't wait to see more buddy.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back