The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Re: My Largest Prop Purchase EVER.

I sourced a couple more parts today. I'm still really on the fence about how deep to jump in before starting the actual build. Don't know why I find it intimidating, but something tells me to wait until I actually NEED the parts. Another part of my brain says "buy them now as you find them"

I misread your post - I thought you were building a replica police car, but a Batmobile is more your style !

I was going to offer some extra parts I had -
Flickr: cryogenesys' Photostream

I sourced a couple more parts today. I'm still really on the fence about how deep to jump in before starting the actual build. Don't know why I find it intimidating, but something tells me to wait until I actually NEED the parts. Another part of my brain says "buy them now as you find them"

Last edited:

OMG, I do love me some babtism by fire. Are you renting a shop stall or going to pis off every neighbor at the complex:lol:lol:lol:lol?

OMG, I do love me some babtism by fire. Are you renting a shop stall or going to pis off every neighbor at the complex:lol:lol:lol:lol?

I won't be doing any building at the apartment complex, that's for sure. The caprice just BARELY fits in the garage!!

One of two things will happen over the next couple of months. I will either buy a house, or rent some space somewhere that I can work on the car.

It's all part of my grand "move back to SoCal" scheme :lol

and I thought my LOTR costume was going to be a pain... Can't wait to see this project underway, if you do manage to make your way back to so-cal I'll be keeping an eye out for a bat mobile on the road in the near future... :eek

and if you actually plan on driving it around in cali... you need to jump through the hoops Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles , the hardest part I think will be the vehicle verification required by the CHP.
hopefully you have some friends in the law enforcement or get lucky and find the one inspecting to be in a good mood...

Fair play to you Matt! This is THE batmobile.

If I had the space and could get a kit into the uk without having to sell my house. I'd do it in a heart beat.

EvilC, thanks for that link. A pal of mine over on CLTC who is also a CA based builder gave me a primer on the process, but that link is gold. Thanks millions.

After reading this threadI now understand why there are cults dedicated to the worship of MattMuson. Dude, you are building a batmobile!

I wasn't assuming anything. ;) Time to start taking some welding classes, I just finished mine and I'm building a chassis as well, just on a much smaller car.

I'll need to practice before tackling that project.

You getting a body from Atlanta?

Dex

Yes, welding is something I've wanted to learn for years and years. I just finished reading a book on it, but I'm sure that's no substitute for some experience.

Also, my plan is to have a PROFESSIONAL welder come and check my chassis before I try to drop the engine back in and go driving around town with it. That will also be true of the mechanics of the car. I'll bring someone in to give her the once over before risking my neck in it.

New tool set today. Christmas in May!!!

tool%2Bcase.jpg

This is going to be awesome best of luck to you! There is a place in Toledo ,Ohio that sells fiberglass kits it's called Gotham Cruisers. Check them out they have the kit I want the 66 Batmobile I love that car!:thumbsup

Bwahaha! Of all the nasty, swear word infused jobs......its brakes. Thats par for the course. You generally do them once and pay to have them done from then on.

I dont want to rain on you parade but here is a list of tools you will need off the top of my head:

Welder, Blow torch, bench and hand grinder, Engine Hoist, drill press etc. Yea, making the jump from props to cars gets spendy quick.

get an IMPACT WRENCH if you don't have one and lots of sockets,extensions, adapters and a breaker bar...You will need this and thank yourself later...oh and perhaps a floor jack

Will

Huh...and here I thought it was an orgy term. :confused

you're thinking of 5 on 1

If you're serious about building this guy and seeing it through I would suggest you buy all the parts that you can find now. It's a lot like building the all metal r2, which I know you have suffered through. Parts dont' show up everyday, and you don't want to run into a "wall" (similar to the prop collecting wall) one day just because you can't find headlights or something.

Floor jacks are relatively inexpensive, and make things sooooo much easier. You might want to invest in a set of jack stands as well; that way you can solidly keep the front or rear end in the air.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back