The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Re: My Largest Prop Purchase EVER.

Matt, I think the first piece of advice that most people have over looked is this.... when it comes time to start stripping the car down... even though the car looks rough... take care in removing the body panels and interior as a lot of those parts can be resold to a junk yard to help alleviate costs...and if they are too far gone they are still worth scrap steel price...as well as all the copper in the electrical system if that is being replaced as well....if you have any questions about the lengthening process let me know...I can give a few tips on making sure your frame ends up square and solid.

Can we call it the Mattmobile?

and there it is.

I've actually been looking for a name for the car, since calling it "The Batmobile" is pretty much asking for trouble from uncle WB. Black car, I hereby dub thee... the MattMobile!!!!

That just screams for some artistic licensing on your part...I think stylized M's on the hubcaps in place of the bats is a must....

Matt, I think the first piece of advice that most people have over looked is this.... when it comes time to start stripping the car down... even though the car looks rough... take care in removing the body panels and interior as a lot of those parts can be resold to a junk yard to help alleviate costs...

Definitely! Having read over a large number of build blogs (for movie cars and other cars) I see that this is very common, and depending on the car can completely cover the cost. There is a giant kit Lamborghini community out there, who often build on top of a Pontiac Fiero base. Apparently, the Fiero is worth more in parts than as a car. Though I doubt the same is true for a Caprice, even getting a couple hundred bucks back would significantly offset the price of the car, and would be great.

Seeing as how the tires and rims are going to run me around 2k, I figure every penny will count.

Matt, are you going to do screen accurate interior as well?

I am not sure. As of today, I think the answer is no.

The interior dashboard was made from a bunch of cobbled together aviation control panels. They are difficult to find, and expensive. They are also mostly non functioning. I guess my thinking right now is that for something that will cost so much and take so much time, it will rarely/barely be seen. Just seems like an awful little bang for buck.

I probably won't use the accurate seats either, for the same reason. They are expensive and really hard to find. And nobody will ever know that I have the "wrong" seats.

The good news is that should I change my mind years down the road, I can always go back and make it screen accurate.

I've put together a spreadsheet that has my design goals in it. I should probably post them here to get some feedback.

That just screams for some artistic licensing on your part...I think stylized M's on the hubcaps in place of the bats is a must....

Lol. I think for the exterior, I am going to go for as close to screen seen as possible, idealized where necessary. The side mechanics are a different issue. I will just be using the repro's that come with the kit. They look fine, but they're not perfect.

Can't wait to see this build. I've followed CLTC for years to watching all the developments. Some amazing builds there.

Spreadsheet! Look who's all organized and stuff. :) That's the only way to tackle a giant project like this. Otherwise you get overwhelmed and can lose focus. Also keeps your budget constantly in sight.

Got plans for the side mechancis yet? I still think those haven't been discovered yet, right?

Also will yours have the crazy wide rear wheel base? If I remember right most of the body kits have that pulled in a little since it was hard to fit the original 89 on a trailer.

So many details to figure out with this project. It's my dream project honestly.

Nick

Also will yours have the crazy wide rear wheel base? If I remember right most of the body kits have that pulled in a little since it was hard to fit the original 89 on a trailer.

Somewhere along the evolution of the body, four inches was trimmed off each of the rear hubs, for the exact reason you stated. It could not be fit on a standard trailer. The 92 (batman returns) batmobile has these thinned down hubs, and so do all of the kits available.

Yeah, there's a great picture from CLTC where the tires are riding up and over the edges of the trailers side beams. Crazy stuff.

Nick

Woah woah woah... back up the Mattmobile...
It's possible to go 120 MPH on the 405? :confused

Luck, man!
T

soooooooo....... is it done yet ?..... Cause I've waited like a whole 20 min and It's not done.. seriously.. something wrong here.. more building.. less talking !!!

I kid I kid.. but seriously though... such a monumental project, my hat's off to you, this will turn out amazing

I buy a 20thC Vader helmet today... Munson starts making a batmobile.

If any of you have ever wondered why I don't post a lot of my projects and prop collection.... that sentance should make it pretty clear! LOL!!!

Can't wait to follow you on this one Matt! Hopefully Chris L will have his Falcon done by then. I want a pic with the batmobile parked in front of the lifesized falcon. Just thinking about somehthing like that is nerdgasmtastic!

PS this is THE batmobile to have IMHO. Maybe cause I have seen several replicas of the blue glowing Kilmer car. This thing is a bit dated but SLICK as hell looking still. You get pulled over in an 89 batcar the cop will want to take a picture.

Getting pulled over in a TUMBLER??? Speaking of... has anyone heard from the Dullam-Causey boys lately? :lol

So, Matt... um, seeing that the Mattmobile will be taking all your time and energy - not to mention space - you won't be wanting or needing that old R2 mech anymore, right? Feel free to ship him out to me. I'll give him a good home :lol

Alright, had to jump on board to see the 89 Mattmobile become a reality.

A daunting project - but all you really need is a little bondo, chickenwire, old newspaper, two cardboard tubes, and of course, the old standby, Duct tape ... you can make anything out of duct tape. :love

I look forward to reading your progress reports. :eek

Gordon

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back