The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Re: My Largest Prop Purchase EVER.

Makes perfect sense. I was just curious. I do hope you get this done in your timeline. This is by far my favorite Bat mobile.

Yea, sometimes you can actually get screen used stuff from B-movies for cheaper than you'd find it anywhere else.

I hope you have experience stretching the chassis on that caprice, it's not the same wheel base as the Burton Batmobile. Plus just cutting away and reinforcing the body during construction will be a daunting task.

In my opinion, this is the single most daunting task in the entire build. After this, everything else is either pretty straight forward, or well documented. I have never really worked on cars before, so this will be all new ground for me. However, I do have a lot of friends over at a builders forum that have not only done it before, but are happy to offer advice and photos for the newbies.

The plan with the caprice is to strip it down to the frame, then lengthen it. The wheelbase of the Keaton car was 141". I forget how much longer than the Caprice that is, but I of course will figure that out before I do any cutting :lol The car does not need to be widened. in fact, you need back spacers on the Rims to bring them in a little bit.

I've been researching this for many years now, so please don't think I just ran out and purchased htis car on a whim hoping it would work. There are a number of successful and finished builds that use this model Caprice as the base. I have complete confidence in my choice of donor car, and am very happy to have found one in such great condition for the price.

Makes perfect sense. I was just curious. I do hope you get this done in your timeline. This is by far my favorite Bat mobile.

No worries man! I'm happy to talk about this thing all day. I'm just so happy to FINALLY have gotten it started. I've wanted one of these things for more than 20 years.

If I remember correctly, they were built on a Impala chassis, which is very similar to the Caprice. However I think it was a earlier model.
So I guess your buying a fiberglass kit, to fit over the chassis? If so, will the company that makes the kits ship to Ohio?

Correct all around, Jason. The ones for the first movie were made using 2 impala Chassissessess. I don't know why it took two, but that's the word on the street. It was definitely an earlier model. After all, the movies came out in 89 and 92, and this car is from 96.

Yes, I will be getting a fiberglass kit that goes over the lengthened chassis.

one of the reasons I kicked off this project is that I am no longer in Ohio, but back in SoCal.

ALSO, today is Batman's birthday!!! Detective Comics 27 came out like a billion years ago today.

Besides cosmetics the car looks to be in great shape. Will you be using the site chicks Love the car for reference?

Besides cosmetics the car looks to be in great shape. Will you be using the site chicks Love the car for reference?

Yes. that is my primary source of information, inspiration and motivation. I have been a member there for YEARS and YEARS, doing lots of reading and research, and sort of just waiting for the state of the hobby to get to a point where it was approachable by casual builders.

Years ago, EVERYTHING was kept secret, even build pictures. You had to know people really well to get any kind of information given to you, and there were good reasons for this. Things have really changed over the years, and in my opinion, right now is simply the BEST time to start a build like this.

not only are there a number of very well documented builds out there that give LOADS of information on how to do your own build, but there are people supplying parts that are easier to get ahold of. Kits are now competitively priced, and it's not as "underground" as it used to be.

That's an awesome find. Excellent frame to use for the 89 since the size would be fairly close to the old Impalas that were used. I would probably tweak out the suspension and brake set up so it's a bit more drivable than the movie car. Are you going to go with a similar engine to what they used or have you thought of going with something different?

I always figured if I was going to do an 89 I would use something with a bit more power. If you're not locked into using the same block they did you might consider playing around with dropping a Dodge RT engine like they use in the Viper's. They're fairly easy to obtain but they are a bit up there in price, although to put that kind of power on an engine you'd probably spend about the same amount. I'd probably have some fun with the flame thrower on the back as well.

Anyway whatever you end up doing this'll be very cool. Good luck.

Steve

Those LT1's are by no means slow. Plus you have all the heavy duty stuff already in. I think you made a great choice!

Where are you going to make the cuts to lengthen the body, and how are you going to keep it all aligned when you weld it all back together?

This looks to be an awesome project!!

That's an awesome find. Excellent frame to use for the 89 since the size would be fairly close to the old Impalas that were used. I would probably tweak out the suspension and brake set up so it's a bit more drivable than the movie car. Are you going to go with a similar engine to what they used or have you thought of going with something different?

I'm definitely going to re-do the suspension. Going to put in an airbag kit so that I can raise it up when I see speed bumps, or for loading it onto a trailer. The car sits ridiculously close to the ground, and the builds that I've seen and admired the most end up using an airbag system to alleviate this problem.

I'm leaving the engine in that came with the car. Honestly, the only driving I'll be doing with this is to and from the gas station, and on and off a trailer. This is not intended to be a performance car by any means. I'd be terrified of breaking it :) The good news is that the engine already onboard is pretty rock solid, and the Caprice has some amazing pickup to it. I was pretty surprised the first time I dropped the pedal down to the floor.

I always figured if I was going to do an 89 I would use something with a bit more power. If you're not locked into using the same block they did you might consider playing around with dropping a Dodge RT engine like they use in the Viper's.

Another reason I'm sticking with the motor as is is simply to reduce complexity. My main goal here is to have a drivable 89 Keaton Car. I'm not looking to be able to go 120 mph on the 405 :) Still, I do appreciate the suggestions. Who knows, a year from now I might think totally differently.

Those LT1's are by no means slow. Plus you have all the heavy duty stuff already in. I think you made a great choice!

Where are you going to make the cuts to lengthen the body, and how are you going to keep it all aligned when you weld it all back together?

This looks to be an awesome project!!

Thanks AC! If you see me doing anything along the way that looks like I'm about to screw things up royally, please don't hesitate to jump in and give me some pointers. As mentioned, this is all new territory for me, and I need to make sure I'm questioning and validating all of my assumptions along the way.

I have seen a few builds over at CLTC that documented the lengthening process. Basically, once you strip the car down, you have two lengths of steel. I'll probably just take a sawzall to them both, while the chassis is mounted on jack stands. Before I cut, I'll mark a bunch of dots on the frame, or find fixed points and take measurements. Length, width, and cross. Once the frame is moved apart, you slide in new lengths of steel. I'll then recalculate the distances for all the points, make sure they are all perfect, then start welding.

This is CURRENTLY my vision of how I will do this process. I can absolutely guarantee you that i will be consulting with a few successful builders before making ANY cuts, so this may change. But I think in general, the principles are sound.

Your in for the long Haul!! are you back in Cali ?
Words of Advice , Dont Stop building , if you go into a store and ask for a part, dont tell them it is for a batmobile. If I had a dollar for every one that laughed at me I could match Bruce Wayne's bank account !!
Also dont skimp, buy the best of everything even if you have to wait.
and when you are ready to paint this I have some paint left over from my car
I can send to you, it is the perfect Black ,looks like a panthers pelt.
cv.jpg

Good advice all around, BC. Thanks! Your paint does indeed look perfect, and right where I want my car to be. I'm going to be going for the satin finish. I think it looks best, and is how it should be.

And yes, I am back in California! whoohoo!!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back