The Time-Turner Page

lukeforester1

Hello, my name is Luke. I'm a stickler for screen accuracy (SA) and my all time favorite prop in any movie just so happens to be the time turner, which is unfortunate because no one make an accurate exact replica. The purpose of this thread is to gather every piece of information available about the screen used time turner and put it together into a sketch. Once I feel we have put together an accurate enough plan I will put up an interest thread in the Junkyard and have a run of super SA time-turner made.

Here is some info I have from the Film Wizardry book:
-The chain is fitted with a double catch (this is how it grows so much when Harry and Hermione use it together)
-The writing on the rings is in fact ENGRAVED, NOT painted or printed.

I will be going to the times square exhibit soon and will jot down some notes on the time turner (no photography allowed).

YOU can help by taking screen shots of the time turner scene from Prisoner of Azkaban (PoA) if you have a blu-ray player with screen shot capabilities. Also if there are any special features that mention anything about the time turner please grab it! Also finding things like interviews with the prop makers, etc... Any information that can be confirmed as true please post here with a link to your source (if applicable).

If you help and we get to the point of actually making these I will sell them to you (if you want) at a discount, you will get a nice deal compared to other people!

Edit: we got pretty much all the info we need. Please wait while I find someone to manufacturer these.

Last edited:
The original (I believe) was on display with some Deathly Hallows props at Comic Con last year. There are plenty of high res photos of it on Flickr and it appears that the writing is actually printed, rather than engraved.
time.jpg

Credit to whoever originally took the photo.

OMG I :love you but I actually JUST found this about an hour ago from Hinky's thread, as soon as I got to it I started making vectors of all the stars in the main "plate" of the time turner. But you don't know how happy I am you kept this thread in mind!!
:lol :cheers :lol :D

OMG I :love you but I actually JUST found this about an hour ago from Hinky's thread, as soon as I got to it I started making vectors of all the stars in the main "plate" of the time turner. But you don't know how happy I am you kept this thread in mind!!
:lol :cheers :lol :D

I check it daily...I WANT a reasonable screen accurate TIME Turner if it kills me :p

I check it daily...I WANT a reasonable screen accurate TIME Turner if it kills me :p

That actually makes me unbelievable happy!!! :D I knew as soon as I saw that picture that this project was doable!
So let me ask, what would you pay for one, no one has responded to me on the Junkyard, so I would like a little input. And as it says above, for your help, you'll get one cheaper than everyone else.

That actually makes me unbelievable happy!!! :D I knew as soon as I saw that picture that this project was doable!
So let me ask, what would you pay for one, no one has responded to me on the Junkyard, so I would like a little input. And as it says above, for your help, you'll get one cheaper than everyone else.

I think--the most I can see paying is abt $175-or so.
But I wouldn't want a solid gold time-turner but gold plated.

Solid gold would both be too expensive and too weak, it will be made of some thing cheap and strong, maybe gold plated, maybe gold look alike plated, again depending on cost. Price wise that's about what I was thinking, $150-$200 would be acceptable for this kind of project... If a company (not noble) mass-produced exact replicas i would expect a cheaper price because they are getting quantity discounts on the manufacturing.

Will you be replicating the time-turner?

I, myself, personally, won't be. I am setting up talks with a Jeweler to talk about the piece, prices, process of making it, materials, the way it spins... etc. I expect to have an idea of how practical this thing is to make within the next few weeks (at the latest).

Hey Luke, I've done a lot of research on the turner lately as well. There are a lot of differences between all the different ones available now and the actual screen used.

The new photo is definitely the best ever released especially for the star plate. No current one has anywhere near an accurate one.

Also as the Film Wizardry book says the writing is actually engraved. I have pics that verify it. Besides I'd trust what the designer said any day.

Personally, I think they darkened the lettering on the comic-con to make it easier to read and once you put black in a shallow engraving it would be very hard to tell without actually feeling it.

You can contact me if you need more specifics. Might be interesting to see if you could make plates that people could swap out on the noble versions to help cover your costs. That would probably do for most people.

PS I never heard back from you about the diagon alley bags, let me know if you still want a set.

Hey Luke, I've done a lot of research on the turner lately as well. There are a lot of differences between all the different ones available now and the actual screen used.

The new photo is definitely the best ever released especially for the star plate. No current one has anywhere near an accurate one.

Also as the Film Wizardry book says the writing is actually engraved. I have pics that verify it. Besides I'd trust what the designer said any day.

Personally, I think they darkened the lettering on the comic-con to make it easier to read and once you put black in a shallow engraving it would be very hard to tell without actually feeling it.

You can contact me if you need more specifics. Might be interesting to see if you could make plates that people could swap out on the noble versions to help cover your costs. That would probably do for most people.

PS I never heard back from you about the diagon alley bags, let me know if you still want a set.

Thats a really good idea about the star plate to swap for the Noble collection version, the outer rings and chain are not exact either, but they could be "good enough" for many people. As for the lettering, I think it's too dark just to be engraved, my best guess is that they engraved it slightly and then painted in the letters to make them darker. I'll PM you my gmail, I'd like as much information as you have, again, ANY help is fantastic. And OH MY GOD! I'm sorry about the bags! That completely slipped my mind on vacation, I'll call my dad (who has a paypal account) tomorrow morning as I would still LOVE to have a set!
Also, if you look at the third picture in post 6 you will see that the letters are quite dark.

Thats a really good idea about the star plate to swap for the Noble collection version, the outer rings and chain are not exact either, but they could be "good enough" for many people. As for the lettering, I think it's too dark just to be engraved, my best guess is that they engraved it slightly and then painted in the letters to make them darker. I'll PM you my gmail, I'd like as much information as you have, again, ANY help is fantastic. And OH MY GOD! I'm sorry about the bags! That completely slipped my mind on vacation, I'll call my dad (who has a paypal account) tomorrow morning as I would still LOVE to have a set!
Also, if you look at the third picture in post 6 you will see that the letters are quite dark.

Yeah that's why I said they darkened them. I have a picture of the original on display right after POA came out and they are not as dark as that one. I believe there was 5 of them made if I remember right. I know JK Rowling donated one of them to a charity auction.

OOH please send and/or upload the picture! :D

I would love to see it as well!

On switching the plate w/the noble one, does that include the hour glass/rings? I mean...I don't mind as much about the rings just the hour glass and stars. I also noticed in the newly posted picture there seems to be "tinsel" type material tied around the chain.

Can't wait for progress!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back