Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Jedi Robes Defined Thread - IMAGE HEAVY!

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
This is a topic that I've been researching for years, but unfortunately, there have been, so far, very few people able to help with it. Over the years, between costuming and prop forums such as this one, and various Star Wars forums, there have been a couple topics here and there in which people were researching the Jedi robes/garb seen in Bioware's video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, with the ultimate goal being to recreate them as wearable costumes for those of us that like to go to conventions and other events as Jedi.

The only problem is that the "standard" Jedi robes seen in the game always ends up getting ignored. Many people have recreated the more unique Jedi and Sith robes... Bastila Shan's outfits, Darth Revan's robes, Juhani's outfit... but the "standard" Jedi outfit, with its memorable tuxedo-like tails, the outfit that is worn by most of the Jedi Council members in the game and the outfit that a typical male Jedi character will spend the bulk of the game wearing, keeps getting ignored time and time again.

First off, some clarification, to (hopefully) help avoid posts that would stray too far from the specific topic at hand:
  • This topic is specifically for researching and ultimately recreating the "standard" Jedi robes/garb seen in Bioware's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic video game that was released several years ago on the PC and Xbox, and ONLY those robes/outfits from THAT game. In KOTOR 2, programmed by Obsidian, the Jedi are seen wearing the same basic robes worn by Jedi nearly 4,000 years later, in the time of the prequel movies. So plenty of resources already exist for recreating robes of that style. Any discussion of the Jedi robes from KOTOR 2 would therefore be redundant.
  • My ultimate goal here is to own a KOTOR-style Jedi outfit that I can wear to conventions and other events. So I will especially value feedback from those who can MAKE such an outfit for me. I have absolutely ZERO sewing and tailoring skills, so I will NOT be attempting to make this outfit myself.
  • As this is a thread specifically about researching the outfits in question to ultimately make replicas of them, this thread will have a TON of images in it. Those of you with slow internet connections, consider yourselves warned!
Now then, best place to start, in my opinion, is with pictures of the Jedi garb in question. These are the best screen captures I could find. Sadly, they're not nearly as high res as I'd like, but that can't be helped. Nobody seems to want to post screen caps of this game in anything like a decent resolution. :unsure

First up is the most standard color scheme this outfit comes in, which is ultimately the color scheme I'd want to own it in. The typical male Jedi character will spend A LOT of time wearing this outfit. Found these screen caps over at IGN.Com...

e3kotor_04.jpg

e3kotor_05.jpg

e3kotor_06.jpg

e3kotor_11.jpg

e3kotor_08.jpg

e3kotor_12.jpg

kotor_010903_02.jpg

kotor_011802_09.jpg

kotor_011802_10.jpg

kotor_011802_11.jpg

kotor_031203_02.jpg

kotor_031203_05.jpg

kotor_031203_08.jpg

kotor_031203_20.jpg

kotor_031203_32.jpg

starwarskotor_11202002_14.jpg

starwarskotor_11202002_13.jpg

starwarskotor_11202002_12.jpg

starwarskotor_11202002_04.jpg

kotor_121102_08.jpg

kotor_121102_06.jpg

kotor_041803_03.jpg

Notice how the outer tunic is like an extended form of the outer tunics worn in the movies, where the tunic is longer, and the overlapping "flaps" wrap around behind the wearer's back, forming the tuxedo-like "tails". Very unique and very cool, but still instantly recognizable as being a Jedi. I've loved this outfit ever since the first time I saw it on screen.

Here's some closeups from dialogue scenes, which allow a slightly better look at the outer tunic, and the shoulder pads on it.

kotor_031203_04.jpg

kotor_121102_07.jpg

Some very early screen shots showed an alternate color scheme that Obi-Wan would approve of...

char02.jpg

conv05.jpg

knightsrepub_052002b_8.jpg

knightsrepub_052002b_14.jpg

knightsrepub_052002b_15.jpg

knightsrepub_052002b_12.jpg

...but I can no longer remember if I ever actually saw that color scheme in the final game. One thing that you DEFINITELY see is these robes in bold, bright colors, such as blue and red...

e3kotor_02.jpg

It appears to me that the design of the outer tunic might need to be tweaked just the tiniest bit to make it work in real life, as the in-game graphics show a garment that seems a little "off" in terms of how the garment overlaps itself. At least to me, anyway.

More to come...

So, for literally years, I've been following the few threads I could find on the internet about making the outfits from this game. While several people talked about making this particular outfit, they either never did, or at least never shared pictures of it at any rate. I've spent years waiting for such pictures...

just found these today...

First image was found HERE and is, sadly, the ONLY picture posted of that person wearing their costume...

CosplayKOTOR_1.jpg

And then I found a second person that had posted pics of their attempt to recreate it. It appears to me that they omitted the 2 separate tails in favor of a design that would be much easier to make, but isn't quite as impressive looking... these images were found HERE...

CosplayKOTORjedi1.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi2.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi3.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi4.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi5.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi6.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi7.jpg

CosplayKOTORjedi8.jpg

As I found these images through Google Image Search while looking for screen shots from the game itself, I have no clue who these people are. If you recognize the individuals or costumes in question, please share any info you can. If you ARE one of the people pictured, I definitely want your feedback! Or if you KNOW the people pictured, please share any info you have AND invite them to join this discussion! :)

That's the extent of the reference images I have. Luckily, some items from a "standard" Jedi outfit will work well here. I'll be wearing the same boots and belt I wear with my prequel style Jedi outfit. Since there's an in-game precedent (from KOTOR 2, though... but good enough for me in this regard) for Jedi wearing the same style of outer robe as in the movies, I'm good there, too, for those times when I need the added warmth of the outer robe. Any pants worn for a standard movie style Jedi outfit would work here, too. I tend to wear standard store-bought khakis, just like the actors that played Jedi in the movies.

One of the unique things about Jedi garb in the KOTOR era is that the Jedi of that era tend to wear forearm bracers... but I've already figured out where to get those, too. There's a really nice pair I've found that would look very good as "Cortosis shields" to block incoming lightsaber blows. In fact, in the KOTOR comic from Dark Horse, Zayne Carrick wears bracers similar to what I have planned for my costume. :cool

That just leaves the inner & outer tunics, and the "leather" shoulder pads that attach to the tunic, as the main parts that need to be sorted out in regards to how to make them. :cool

This seems like it could be pretty cool.
If someone figures out a pattern to make the outer tunic, it would be VERY cool! It's a great looking outfit! That's why I want one! :cool:thumbsup

And I forgot to mention earlier that I've also had my eye on some lightsabers that would go with this outfit, sabers in the Tales of the Jedi/Knights of the Old Republic style, with claw-like blade emitters! :cool

Originally I wanted a Fury from Parks Sabers, but then I saw some of the designs made by Saber Forge, so now I'm trying to decide between the 2, but I'm leaning more in the direction of SF because the guy that makes them is a member of the RPF. :cool

CosplayKOTORjedi5.jpg

I like the costume idea and I'll definitely look into it. It seems like a much more interesting design than the robes of more common characters in the movies and such.

And if you don't mind me going a bit off topic, I would love to know where she got an accurate FX saber like that. I've searched high and low but the only ones I've seen are the inaccurate ANH Obi-Wan and the also inaccurate ROTJ Luke.

CosplayKOTORjedi5.jpg

I like the costume idea and I'll definitely look into it. It seems like a much more interesting design than the robes of more common characters in the movies and such.
Thanks, I look forward to future posts from you. :cool
And if you don't mind me going a bit off topic, I would love to know where she got an accurate FX saber like that. I've searched high and low but the only ones I've seen are the inaccurate ANH Obi-Wan and the also inaccurate ROTJ Luke.
They're called unlicensed manufacturers. Even though I never saw them until this week, those pics are like 5 years old, I believe, and there's no telling how long she'd had it at that point. It could have been made by someone like Larbel or Jeff Parks, back before Lucasfilm Legal started cracking down on them.

Heck, to this day, Jeff Parks makes sabers that are his own designs, but are "similar to" the sabers used by Obi-Wan in the Original Trilogy, and by Luke in Return of the Jedi. With just a little modification (perhaps using replacement parts from someone on the RPF,) they would probably be as accurate as what she's holding, or even more so. ;)

Sorry to say but, my tailoring skills are awful so I'm not much help. But I wish you the best of luck, and giving you a free bump ;) hope you find someone who can help :)
/D

One thing you can do for a more versatile robe is this... My buddy had a custom set of Sith Inquisitor robes made... the inner tunic flows down to the floor... making movment... not fun. I helped him mitigate this by tying it off in the back. This made an effect similar to the coat tail robes in KotOR... So what you could do is make a long robe with tails in the back for mobility and then tie it off to make the KotOR look. Just a suggestion, I never cared for the KotOR robes, they are awesome don't get me wrong, they just aren't my style. I like the Old Republic art I've seen from the game that's going to be coming out soon I'm actually working on a TOR inspired costume right now.

Can't wait to see what you have... Also if you're looking for lightsabers I would check Imperial Royal Arms or fx-sabers both forums are really good at pointing you in the right direction.

I realize this topic has not been posted in in a long time but I was just curious if anyone made any headway with this? I am looking to make one of these myself or get one made.

And I just discovered a few days ago that the leather & steel bracers I wanted to order from Museum Replicas to wear with a KOTOR Jedi costume have been discontinued. Nothing but bad news all around on this project. :facepalm

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back