X-Files "I want to believe" Poster?

Also, Dr Talyn, I would be very curious to see how your Vista Print posters come out. I do already have a replica but if your resolution proves to be a nicer quality then I'd be interested in one.

Now that's cool, I'd be interested, how do you make it grainy, I used the highest res I could find, and it's still that crappy. Well, I guess the real prop was too.
I printed mine out and it came out as the prop, not pixelated as you might think.

The resolution on that isnt quite as high as I'm looking for, mine is 300 dpi and much less pixalated, i did a lot of work to smooth stuff out. Thanks for the link though.

This is an example of the resolution I'm working at. (click to enlarge)
View attachment 540709

I've just published a "history" of the I Want To Believe poster here http://www.x-fileslexicon.com/articles/IWTBPoster.html

Wow, great article! Thanks for the link!

As far as how I got it to not be pixalized while using the same photos everyone else has access to, I'm a fulltime graphic designer, and there are lots of tricks to "smooth things out", I used a few of those here, so we'll see how it turns out. I should have the poster in a week or so. Based on previous reviews on VistaPrint, i think their poster stock might be a bit too thick to pass for a standard store bought poster, but they had the best price and options.

Wow, great article! Thanks for the link!

Thank you! I've been researching these posters for years, even before I was a prop collector. I was glad to see you mentioning the white border being uneven and changing on this poster though. Not many notice that, hell I even left it out of the article mainly because the poster design itself didn’t change really, just a wonky printing from time to time with the border being off, but I did wonder how many other people noticed the borders so I'm glad to see someone else went to those extremes!

I'm hoping Vista does a good job with your design because while I do currently have a replica of this poster, it’s always nice to upgrade these props to be even better. We’ve all been there. I actually have replicas of all four versions in my collection which I am currently trying to figure out how to frame them with frameless frames. So that the white borders, which is really a big part of the look, can be seen.

Also, YenChih Lin, I never really got to thank you but my Season 1-3 poster is currently your work, so thanks! And even though I am excited about Dr Talyn’s design I can’t knock yours at all. I’m thrilled to have gotten it printed and in my collection.

The first picture you see in the article is actually of my four replicas. I didn't crumple up "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" version yet though as I am trying to sort out frames first. And given that the Season 4-5 is the same as the 10 I don't think I'll be tearing that up any time soon!

XF_Poster_examples.jpg

Yeah the borders changing episode to episode was probably due to people yanking them from the set and the art department having to reprint them whenever they used the set.

I havent been able to find decent quality versions of the other design, season 4+, so Id love to be able to get one like the ones you have if they are still available anywhere.

Exactly. Carter said they went missing the most. Hell, by the time he gave some props and memorabilia to the Smithsonian he had to have Gillian donate her poster because others just didn't exist. Which still makes me wonder about Frank's comments on the XF2 poster. That said, when the new mini series started filming Glen Morgan tweeted a picture of the props department which had two of the Season 4-5 & 10 posters on the wall.

For my collection I had to make the "Season 4-5 & 10" and the "IWTB" Film versions myself in Photoshop by scanning the official X-Files Fan Club poster (well one of them, they had at least three different versions. All of which were variations of the "Season 6-9") thanks to the help of a friend of mine with access to a rather large scanner. Later another friend helped me out with some cleanup work on them as he was a graphic designer and had a better eye for that sort of detail. I then had those two printed out with his help again since he had access to a professional print shop he works with. So that said, I have files for "Season 4-5 & 10" and "IWTB" but as the "Season 6-9" was commercially available through FOX there isn't much I can do about that one as I wouldn't want to step on their toes there. I sort of wish I had known about Vista Print as an option at the time though because it would have been handy to try. As it is the print shop had to remake them a couple times as they couldn't get a handle on the fact that the white border needed to be there or that the specified width was important.

EDIT: For my posters I did make the white borders even all the way round as I just felt it looked better. I'm usually all for screen accuracy but it was really better for printing at 24 x 36 to have it even.

Ahh, so the source is the fanclub poster, gotcha. Yeah I havent been able to find one of those. Wish I would have got one back then. I saw they did a small 11x17 one for NYCC, so hopefully fullsize ones make their way out again once the show starts.

Yes, from what I have in my own collection the fan club put out three different Season 6-9 posters at least, all 24 x 36. Aside from the copyright information they match the screen used 6-9 poster perfectly, well one of the three does. One has too much white border on the bottom to allow for the copyright information, one has no border at all and the last one is perfect as the copyright information is minimal in the white border. It made it the perfect starting place to make the necessary changes for the 4-5 & 10 poster.

I saw those posters as well, it would be nice to see them full scale however they are lacking the white border and have a heck of a lot of extra text so hopefully they don't replicate that.

It fills me with joy, that other people enjoy the paper prop much as I do! :)

Thank you! I've been researching these posters for years, even before I was a prop collector. I was glad to see you mentioning the white border being uneven and changing on this poster though. Not many notice that, hell I even left it out of the article mainly because the poster design itself didn’t change really, just a wonky printing from time to time with the border being off, but I did wonder how many other people noticed the borders so I'm glad to see someone else went to those extremes!

I'm hoping Vista does a good job with your design because while I do currently have a replica of this poster, it’s always nice to upgrade these props to be even better. We’ve all been there. I actually have replicas of all four versions in my collection which I am currently trying to figure out how to frame them with frameless frames. So that the white borders, which is really a big part of the look, can be seen.

Also, YenChih Lin, I never really got to thank you but my Season 1-3 poster is currently your work, so thanks! And even though I am excited about Dr Talyn’s design I can’t knock yours at all. I’m thrilled to have gotten it printed and in my collection.

The first picture you see in the article is actually of my four replicas. I didn't crumple up "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" version yet though as I am trying to sort out frames first. And given that the Season 4-5 is the same as the 10 I don't think I'll be tearing that up any time soon!

View attachment 543371

Oh yeah, there are some really cool and story iconic paper props. I've spent the last couple years making some for my collection as they just held great memories for me from the show. I shared a few in the paper props thread already actually.

Wow, didn't expect a thread I posted 9 years ago to come back like this. I'm always looking for an accurate copy, though!

:thumbsup

Should have my VistaPrint poster in a few days, i went with economy UPS shipping so its a bit longer than normal. Ive already updated my graphic a bit since i ordered it, so Ill probably do more if i like the quality.

Got the poster, and really happy with how it turned out. Feels just like a store bought poster. I'm kind of curious if the glossy finish would have made it a little less see through when held up to light, but against a surface it looks amazing. It's a little off-center with the border, but the original border varies so much that it doesn't really bother me. The resolution came out as well, very little if any jpg artifact mush.

IMG_2863.JPGIMG_2865.JPGIMG_2864.JPG

Last edited:
Brilliant! That looks fantastic!

Got the poster, and really happy with how it turned out. Feels just like a store bought poster. I'm kind of curious if the glossy finish would have made it a little less see through when held up to light, but against a surface it looks amazing. It's a little off-center with the border, but the original border varies so much that it doesn't really bother me. The resolution came out as well, very little if any jpg artifact mush. If people are interested, I can setup a junkyard run (though I need to become a supporting member first apparently).

I've since moved the UFO down about an inch, it was a little high after I did some more comparisons.

View attachment 546227View attachment 546229View attachment 546228

Dr. Talyn it looks like you did a remarkable job with this. My son is wanting this poster for his room for Christimas, but is very hard to find any of quality. Is there any way I could get a copy or would you be willing to provide the original so I could make my own?

Thank you for your help!

Aaron

Got the poster, and really happy with how it turned out. Feels just like a store bought poster. I'm kind of curious if the glossy finish would have made it a little less see through when held up to light, but against a surface it looks amazing. It's a little off-center with the border, but the original border varies so much that it doesn't really bother me. The resolution came out as well, very little if any jpg artifact mush.

View attachment 546227View attachment 546229View attachment 546228

Has anyone been able to successfully and accurately recreate the Season 1 poster that was removed from the show for copyright reasons? If so can I 1) buy a copy for my son, or 2) get a detailed pic of the recreation to have printed in a poster size? Any information on this would be absolutely amazing, especially if said information could be obtained before Christmas :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back