Harry Potter Wedding Group Costumes WIP

Wow, I haven't updated this in a WHILE.

Okay so I have been working on this dress alot and it is actually nearing completion. For such a short dress this thing has been the biggest pain. I'll try to break it down though and explain what I've been doing with it.

Bodice-

I got the bodice fitted really nicely and I really like the way it looks on me. It was hard working with the silk overlay but I think it came out nice. I finished the shoulder decor and have been sewing small sequins I got online into it. I absolutely adore the top of this dress.

Cumberbun-

After not working on it for months I finally finished it! I ended up making it shorter than I originally intended. The flower was alot easier to make that I thought too. I've decided to keep this a separate piece. I was going to sew it into the dress because I was scared it was going to move but after trying it on I saw that it didn't so I ended up deciding to just keep it separate. It will make the zipper easier to put in too.

Skirt-

Oh my gosh...this has been the bane of my existence. So I got the 15 ruffles sewn in. Each one was like 4 yards long because I wanted them to be full. I spent all this time getting them on and then tried on the skirt and it looked horrid on me. The ruffles were sticking up and were unflattering. So against my better judgment we ripped all 15 out.

I decided to try a different approach to the ruffles and used the left over 4 yards of fabric I had I cut the ruffles out again, this time on the bias. I didn't have enough length though so I used my ruffles from my previous skirt incarnation and had them meet in the middle. Because the ruffles are cut on the bias they lay flatter against the skirt. After putting the skirt together though I discovered I was missing a ruffle so really the skirt as 16 of them, so I had to take apart part of the skirt again and sew it in again.

I highly recommend cutting on the bias for anyone who is making this dress.

After all of this was done I went in and serged every inside seam together and then sewed the overskirt to the underlayer. It is gathered at the top to make it fit. And then I serged that and then sewed the skirt to the top.

So this is what I have left to do on the dress...

- Put in invisible zipper
- Hem underdress
- Serge overskirt layer
- Finish the inside
- Put hook and eyes on the cumberbun

And then I'm done!!! I'm sooooo close to finishing!!!

I finally finished the dress!! I can't believe how long it took but its finally finished!!! I still have a couple of ends to tie up, like some stay stitches but otherwise I'm ready to wear it! Here are some shots of the completed dress, please ignore the lack of a necklace. lol

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

Your dress is amazing and you look fabulous! I can't wait to see the picture of your whole wedding group. I am new to the rpf - and am still trying to figure out how it all works- is the Yule Ball picture available somewhere on the site?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back