Michelangelo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

kryptoboy1

Hey everyone....

The torronto fan expo is coming up...annnd my good friend kagn who most of you know is trying to get his iron man suit up and running for...
so i figured i would get going on a costume of my own.. and i love the ninja turtles .. lol well i think everyone does...

so i am going to go as mikey.. and i would like your guys helps for so good screen shots of the mikey from tmnt 1???..

im going to start with the head and the turtle shell. so any help or suggestions would be really great.

also there was a thread on here that some one used foam for the legs and arms... does anyone know a good way to cut upholstery foam to get it nice a smooth??

thanx....

DSC02814.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see the turtles getting some loving :lol

Now I know nothing about making props but here's my two cents:

I think you could cut the foam with a sharp knife or if it's not too thick with scissors?

How much time do you have? How much patience? How accurate do you want it to be? I'm asking this because a turtle suit is no easy task to make look good.

If you're going with a none-movable mouth then you could use styrofoam as the base of the head, carve it hallow and put latex on top of that. Or make a pepakura model of the head (or a papermache), fiberglass it (if you want it rigid) and latex on top of that. Or just paint.

Same for the shell.

Anyway, I'm sure there's other more qualified to help you out. I'll post you some photos from the 1990 movie soon :). By the way, if you love the turtles, you should join The Technodrome Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Edit: PM send :)

Last edited:
well i am goIng to sculped the head out of monster clay.. the rest is going to be made of foam and then paint latex over it. then usning latex paint to do detail.. and the shell with be foam and maybe fiberglass not too sure if the too will mix though/

i have about 4 months to do it???

does anyone know a good way to cut upholstery foam to get it nice a smooth?

I watched a lady at Jo-Ann Fabrics cut some extremely detailed curves and sharp edges using an electric carving knife like people use to carve turkeys and such. Seemed to work like a charm, no special blade or anything.

I would suggest making a duct tape dummy of yourself, buying a full body nylon suit, put the suit on the dummy, sculpt muscles with foam and attach them to the suit, then cover the whole suit with about 10 layers of liquid latex. Thats how I did the skins for my predator suit and it turned out great.

I would suggest making a duct tape dummy of yourself, buying a full body nylon suit, put the suit on the dummy, sculpt muscles with foam and attach them to the suit, then cover the whole suit with about 10 layers of liquid latex. Thats how I did the skins for my predator suit and it turned out great.

I'm pretty sure I looked at your suit when planning my own Ninja Turtle costume - I followed the same process, but my muscle definition didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours, lol.

As for cutting foam, I used a turkey carving knife for most of it, but I wouldn't say it resulted in smooth edges - smooth enough if you're covering it with the spandex and then latex. It was definitely easier than anything else I tried, but I have to imagine a hot wire cutter would work even better. I know you had mentioned Lens Mills Store for supplies, but for foam your best bet is The Foam Store: The Foam Store - Serving Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph and Southwestern Ontario

You can order custom blocks of all sorts of foam, and make sure you print off the 15% off coupon on the website. Tell them Ryan sent you. No, don't tell them that - they won't know what you're talking about and you'll look like a fool.

Also, go with WonderFlex instead of fibreglass - no fumes, no chemicals, just heat and it's not too expensive. They distribute it out of Toronto, so it's free shipping too.

Lastly, when I applied the latex, I tried all of the techniques suggested on the internet, but I think simply because it was my first time, I couldn't eliminate the brush strokes. Supposedly spraying the latex on eliminates this, but I tried that and it just clogged up my gun immediately.

I'll send you some shots I have the costume disassembled - it will give you an idea of where the pieces join, and how everything stays on.

Knowing your quality of work, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

hey guys... sorry i have not posted anything since i started this thread ...but i finally got started on my mikey. im in the middle of shaping out his head just need to fins some good eyes.. does anyone know how big there eyes really are???

also... got my back half of my shell almost completed .. just need to put the nubs around the edges and shape it a little more.. hope you enjoy :)

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

hey little update... had to trim down the shell a bit it was looking like i was a taco in it lol.. and have not got the edge pieces on yet i may do other ones not liking the look of the ones i made..
and also painted a first layer of latex on the shell...

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02589.jpg

a little shell shock anyone lol...

just finished painting my shell and i am really happy how it turned out ... also just an update on my head sculpted.. just need to get working on some eyes and smoothing it round.

DSC02598.jpg

DSC02599.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02607.jpg

mikey's starting to take shape.... i hate smoothing clay lol

still need so more shaping around the head just thought i would give a little update..

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02611.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back