Game of Thrones

I do. He's my clear-cut favorite villain on the show. And quickly becoming, I daresay, my favorite character, period. I've always ranked Tyrion and Dany as my two favorites, but they've each become a bit boring lately, now that they're sitting in such powerful positions. I found them far more compelling when they were struggling--struggling to gain power, in Dany's case, and respect, in Tyrion's.

I admit Petyr possesses the most punch-able face in the seven kingdoms, but he's a master manipulator and has grown to be the most interesting character on the show. A big part of Lord Baelish's evil charm, is the actor who plays him, Aiden Gillen--he's positively brilliant in the role. I'd put him up there with Dinklage, Headey, Dance, and Rigg as the best actors in the series. Game of Thrones has a lot of capable to good actors. But these few I've mentioned are extraordinary, and can tells us more with their eyes and micro-facial expressions than even their dialogue.

Gillen, like the aforementioned standouts, is a treat to watch, because I derive pleasure on two levels: one, I get to enjoy what his character is saying and doing, and consider how it advances the story; and two, I get to marvel at his (the actor's) performance. With so many of the other characters on the show, I really just enjoy how their words and deeds advance the story. Their acting is good enough, so as not to be a distraction, and to be fair, may have some exceptional moments here and there--but they don't glue me to the set like Gillen and the others, where I hang on every word, and don't blink for fear of missing some glint in their eye or hint of a smile. Let me put it this way. I invariably eat dinner while watching Game of Thrones--but my fork is set on the plate when Littlefinger shows up.

The Wook

Totally get where you're coming from, and I do acknowledge the actor's performance is stellar (alot of them are) and I *do* like Lord Baelish... in the same sort of way that I like Cersei. Though they both do evil things to people that i love, there is a part of each of their characters that I admire.

As for Samwell now being Lord Tarley. First of all Sam is now the last Male of the Family. Second Sam is already in violation of his vows by being with Gilley and I don't think he's going to give her up. Third, for you to be in violation of your oath to the Nightswatch, there would have to be a Nightswatch to be in violation of, and pretty soon there won't be and if they win the war there will be no reason to further have a Nightswatch. Just my 02c

There hasn't been any indication in the show that Sam doesn't consider himself to still be part of the Night's Watch. Being with Gilly isn't a big deal. Many of the Night's Watch visit the brothel in Mole's Town. Simply being with Gilly doesn't get him excused from the Night's Watch. The only way to leave is death. Or...

After the war, if he survives, and is granted a leave from his vows, that's another story. As of this moment, he is not Lord Tarly. Basically, as far as Westeros is concerned, there is no more House Tarly. Just like there's no longer a House Tyrell or House Martell.

There hasn't been any indication in the show that Sam doesn't consider himself to still be part of the Night's Watch. Being with Gilly isn't a big deal. Many of the Night's Watch visit the brothel in Mole's Town. Simply being with Gilly doesn't get him excused from the Night's Watch. The only way to leave is death. Or...

After the war, if he survives, and is granted a leave from his vows, that's another story. As of this moment, he is not Lord Tarly. Basically, as far as Westeros is concerned, there is no more House Tarly. Just like there's no longer a House Tyrell or House Martell.
Right, Randyll forced Sam to renounce all claims to House Tarly when he took the black.

There hasn't been any indication in the show that Sam doesn't consider himself to still be part of the Night's Watch.

Exactly. Sam is still a member of the Night's Watch. He was specifically sent south to train as a maester so the NW will have one, since Maester Aemon died. Jon also sent him there to find whatever he could that would help them fight the Night King and the Army of the Dead. Since he got what he needed and the other maesters are being uncooperative (at best), he left with anything else he could get his hands on.

Being with Gilly isn't a big deal. Many of the Night's Watch visit the brothel in Mole's Town. Simply being with Gilly doesn't get him excused from the Night's Watch.

Precisely. The NW oath merely states that he cannot take a wife or have children. Since he has done neither, he's free and clear in terms of staying true to his oath.

The only way to leave is death. Or...

From a strictly "legal" standpoint, no one has the authority to let someone out of the vows to the Night's Watch. For starters, the Watch is effectively an autonomous organization; they specifically do not owe fealty to the King of Westeros, in order to avoid being drawn into any political bickering. Secondly, the vows that the Brothers take aren't to a person or an organization, but to their lifetime of service. They're swearing directly to their gods, so there isn't anyone with a higher authority to countermand that decision.

However, keep in mind that the Night's Watch relies on the Seven Kingdoms to find and punish deserters (that's a large part of what the Warden of the North does in terms of official duties) and to provide new recruits. So, if the King/Queen of the Seven Kingdoms really wanted to pull Sam out of the Night's Watch and let him take over House Tarly, they lack the de jure authority to do so, but have the de facto authority to get away with it anyway. If they were to send a replacement (or replacements) for Sam, say in the form of an already existing maester such as Qyburn, getting Sam released wouldn't be that big of a deal.

And now, for some comedic stylings...

NGxHPzQ.jpg

OM0n34x.jpg

Okay, seriously... stop. Sam has precisely ZERO reason to make any sort of connection between Rhaegar and Jon. Even if Lyanna had been named, AGAIN, he has zero reason to make any sort of association between the fact that Rhaegar married her and Jon. If this were a RPG session, I would penalize his character for using out-of-character information, if he had remarked on it!

Also, his snapping at Gilly had very little to do with his respect for her. It was a matter of frustration boiling over and him reaching his breaking point with EVERYTHING at the Citadel. I've snapped at my husband before because I'm frustrated with work. It doesn't mean I don't love and respect him.

Well...I thought it was funny. :facepalm

Sorry, it just really annoys me when people harp on this. I'm as much of a feminist as anyone, and I've been on the receiving end of snapping as well, but every single thing that Sam has done with Gilly has been nothing but loving and supporting. He has on multiple occasions put his literal life on the line for her, he has loved and adopted her child which is the product of some pretty horrific incestuous bull****. He has been nothing but kind and loving toward her, and certainly didn't expect to gain a sort of commonlaw marriage out of it, so it sets me off when people try to paint him as some sort of misogynist monster when he's not.

Sorry, it just really annoys me when people harp on this. I'm as much of a feminist as anyone, and I've been on the receiving end of snapping as well, but every single thing that Sam has done with Gilly has been nothing but loving and supporting. He has on multiple occasions put his literal life on the line for her, he has loved and adopted her child which is the product of some pretty horrific incestuous bull****. He has been nothing but kind and loving toward her, and certainly didn't expect to gain a sort of commonlaw marriage out of it, so it sets me off when people try to paint him as some sort of misogynist monster when he's not.

I think you're reading too much into it. I don't see it as calling Sam a "misogynist monster" at all. To me, all the image is doing is calling into question Sam's unintentional hypocrisy, specifically how he gets upset about the maesters ignoring him and his information about the Night King, and then how he summarily ignores Gilly's bombshell drop of Raegar's annulment. Granted, he doesn't know what Bran knows about the incident at the Tower of Joy and how it ties into what Gilly was talking about, but we as the audience do, so we can find this unintentional hypocrisy to be what it is: bloody hilarious.

I think you're reading too much into it. I don't see it as calling Sam a "misogynist monster" at all. To me, all the image is doing is calling into question Sam's unintentional hypocrisy, specifically how he gets upset about the maesters ignoring him and his information about the Night King, and then how he summarily ignores Gilly's bombshell drop of Raegar's annulment. Granted, he doesn't know what Bran knows about the incident at the Tower of Joy and how it ties into what Gilly was talking about, but we as the audience do, so we can find this unintentional hypocrisy to be what it is: bloody hilarious.

I'm talking about the discussion I've seen elsewhere as well. Believe me, there are people who are legitimately calling Sam an ******* for this moment. Also, just because it's a bombshell for us, it's not for him. Again, there is no reason for him to ascribe any importance whatsoever to whatever Rhaegar did during Robert's Rebellion.

And, yes, I thought the moment was hilarious, but there are people blowing Sam's dismissal of it WAY out of proportion.

I'm talking about the discussion I've seen elsewhere as well. Believe me, there are people who are legitimately calling Sam an ******* for this moment. Also, just because it's a bombshell for us, it's not for him. Again, there is no reason for him to ascribe any importance whatsoever to whatever Rhaegar did during Robert's Rebellion.

And, yes, I thought the moment was hilarious, but there are people blowing Sam's dismissal of it WAY out of proportion.

I'll be the first one to admit that he did sound snappish, and that was likely due to a combination of the pressure to make Jon proud, the looming threat of the Night King, and Gilly's constant interruptions with trivial knowledge that is of no use to Sam at the time. For her part, Gilly seems to be genuinely excited to read and learn (well, as excited as Gilly seems to be able to get, given that she seems utterly unflappable). Even then, he never really seemed angry at her. Just upset at the situation. Of course, as nice of a person as Sam is (and he's probably the nicest, kindest person in Westeros and Essos), that bit of snappishness was likely the equivalent to other people going on a complete tirade. It was out of character and a testament to how much stress he's under.

As far as those making a big deal out of it, letting yourself get bent out of shape over it is gonna do precisely nothing to help the issue. People are going to think what they want to think no matter what evidence you provide to the contrary. Hell, there are still people who believe the Earth is flat despite the centuries of evidence to the contrary.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back